Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:48 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Glock trigger polish and undercut 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone undercut their trigger guard? What did you learn? I got a bad case of Glock knuckle last week and want to shave some off. Also thinking about the 25¢ trigger job. Was pondering using files to knock off the burrs or maybe just Q tips and polish. Any suggestions? Any pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=68053

The Right to Buy Weapons Is the Right to Be Free

Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Isildur wrote:
https://www.waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=68053

Thanks, but that is only half the question. You also didn't say exactly how you did it.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the trigger guard I used round files (for sharpening chainsaws and another finer) and some finer curved modeling files. You can finish up with sand paper of various decreasing grits. (I stopped at 400)
That ridge that runs down the center line of the TG is now gone, too! (the line looks like the frame was originally two pieces/halves)

I didn't polish the trigger.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

joao01 wrote:
Isildur wrote:
https://www.waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=68053

Thanks, but that is only half the question. You also didn't say exactly how you did it.

Dremel with round sandpaper bit and wet/dry sandpaper for final smoothing. Carefully.
Used tape to mask off areas that I didn't want to cut (at first) and adjusted as I went along.
Also smoothed down the stupid serrations on the front of the trigger guard along with rounding the bottom front 90 degree corner.
Can't explain any better than that, had an idea of what I wanted and just started the dremel and got to work.

Didn't do anything to the factory trigger except throw it into the Glock box; replaced with an aftermarket flat trigger.

And after all that, it still was as bad as I remember from the last time I bought a POS Glock (1985), so I sold it and bought a Walther PPQ, which is light-years better than a Glock.
Shame on me for thinking that after 5 generations they would have improved it.

The Right to Buy Weapons Is the Right to Be Free

Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the dremel probaly works great, but be careful: it will/can remove material fast.

For what it's worth, I undercut the trigger guard to fit it to the curve of my proximal phalanges of my middle finger. Feels great.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's one that someone else started and I cleaned up and smoothed. I like to use sanding drums (either for a dremel or die grinder) but mounted in a drill press for better stability. Those are used to cut the initial shape, and then I smooth the cuts by hand with finer sandpaper. Sanding wet works best, WD40 actually works really well for this, just don't leave it really wet inside the gun.
If you want to put a shine on the cuts, a soft buffing wheel in a dremel works, but use a very gentle touch and don't dwell in one spot too long.

This one is not a very good picture of the undercut, but it does show how high you can go compared to stock. Ignore the cartridge and velocity reading, I was doing some experimenting...

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did mine with a dremel. Lots of videos out there too.

Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As for the 25cent trigger job, I just used Q-Tips as the dremel would over-polish what you're trying to accomplish. Literally takes less than 5 minutes to do the connector/trigger bar.

Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kuga wrote:
As for the 25cent trigger job, I just used Q-Tips as the dremel would over-polish what you're trying to accomplish. Literally takes less than 5 minutes to do the connector/trigger bar.

thanks

Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]