Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Kids, don't fly with gun parts 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Man gets caught with unassembled 3D printed gun at airport
https://www.foxnews.com/travel/3d-printed-gun-laguardia-airport

Quote:
It turns out, it’s not OK to bring gun parts onto a plane, even if they aren't assembled and 3D-printed.

A man from Kansas learned this the hard way at LaGuardia Airport on July 3. He was reportedly stopped by a TSA officer when he tried to pass the pieces in his bag through the airport security X-ray machines.

Quote:
While it may seem obvious, the TSA wanted to remind everyone which items are not permitted on the planes. “Handguns and handgun parts are prohibited past airport security checkpoints, including 3D imprinted guns,” the spokesperson confirmed. “Passengers are encouraged to use the “What Can I Bring” tool on tsa.gov prior to traveling to ensure they do now have any prohibited items in their carry-on or checked bags.”

Not quite sure what he's got there. It looks like it fits an AR grip and trigger group but beyond that I don't know

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i'm 99% sure that's not an ar lower....wth is that? i want one! LOL

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Divided we fall.

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like it's a G36 lower (HK)

Not the serialized part of the gun like an AR lower is

https://www.tommybuilttactical.com/ar-fire-comtrol-g36-lower

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are rollpins and springs allowed on planes?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting. I have brought home many ‘gun parts’ including a M-16 bayonet in my frequent travels. Never in carry on however and never a serialized part. I think that he would have been OK with it in checked luggage.

Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:22 pm

Don’t know if things have changed much since I worked for Fed up, but they operate some things on a very tight budget. I wouldn’t try to ship anything that has a foul odor or explosive through their system, but I can tell you if you can wrap it in old clothes and it doesnt look or sound sinister, you can probably ship it without them searching your stuff. Yes they can open your box up and look inside, but by the sheer volume of that happening is close to zero unless it smells bad (weed) or if it’s leaking. I worked for a non profit, and instead of wiring money, like they should have, they wrapped bricks of cash in their stupid promo shirts nobody wanted and shipped them off to their affiliates or other startups. Nobody was the wiser. The only thing carriers care about is if it’s going to blow up the plane, or hurt their employees and make them look bad. To this day if I’m flying I’ll ship my luggage to my hotel via FedEx or Ups, whichever’s cheaper ahead of my flight. They have a better tracking system than the airlines, you don’t have to wait at baggage claim, and it almost never gets loaded onto the wrong plane. Plus if it does get lost you have an actual chance of getting some money back without the garbage you have to go through with the airline. Plus if you plan ahead and ship it ground you save yourself some money because it’s going to be cheaper than a baggage fee. The TSA probably will open your luggage up with an airline. Probably not so much with Fedex or Ups especially if you slow boat it.

Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thread title is inaccurate.

You can easily and legally fly with guns and gun parts. Just declare them in your checked luggage and follow the proper procedures for a firearm. For a non-serialized part, just check it in your luggage if it's not a shape that will raise flags.

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]