Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Question about scrapping brass and spent primers 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know that recyclers will accept brass but do they except mass amounts of spent primers? I’ve got 95#’s pounds of them.
I’ve been checking the brass prices and it’s hovering right around two bucks a pounds. I’m just wondering if they will take the primers cause I want them GONE.
95+#
Attachment:
3FD05165-369A-464B-9EE1-9126F0926C30.jpeg

93+#
Attachment:
B98225EC-6A47-4147-BF1D-E43C1EB0C9AB.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you called any local recyclers.
It depends on them.

There’s one in Montesano

PayMore Recycle
360-612-3645
pmrecycle.com

Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
Have you called any local recyclers.
It depends on them.

There’s one in Montesano

PayMore Recycle
360-612-3645
pmrecycle.com

Thanks for that Sir, I have not. I’ve been busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest the last few weeks. I was more curious about those with hands on experience scrapping ammo brass.
Plus, you may not know that I am so hard of hearing, I could fart in a room and not hear it but would know from the expressions on everybody’s face that’s around me, that I did indeed fort. :ROFLMAO:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:09 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

What Wes has told me in the past is that some will accept the primers and some will not. For that reason, I always keep them separate.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can also just send them an email

Office@pmrecycle.com

Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just build a hot fire, put them in a cast iron pot and melt them. Pour them into muffin tins with mold release.

Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
You can also just send them an email

Office@pmrecycle.com

Thanks I’ll write one up tomorrow but they probably won’t answer until next week, no big deal I’m retired.

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

shaggy wrote:
Just build a hot fire, put them in a cast iron pot and melt them. Pour them into muffin tins with mold release.

I pour lead sinkers for fishing, lead melts at 621° F. Brass melts at 1700° which is quite a bit more than my propane cooker (Turkey cooker) can put out.

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
What Wes has told me in the past is that some will accept the primers and some will not. For that reason, I always keep them separate.

That’s why I’m thankful I didn’t mix them in with the brass cases. Thanks Steve.
I think I’m going to talk with my young neighbor, he’s into recycling.

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:
shaggy wrote:

I pour lead sinkers for fishing, lead melts at 621° F. Brass melts at 1700° which is quite a bit more than my propane cooker (Turkey cooker) can put out.

Yep. Not to mention the cast iron pot being white hot at that temp.

I've seen people suggest that same thing occasionally, and am pretty sure they don't realize how hot brass has to get to melt. Casting brass is a neat thing and potentially pretty useful* but requires a different level of equipment than what us lead casters usually have.

*I watched an old car restorer once working on some old 1920's car, don't remember what it was, but a couple of the door hinges were missing. He had one though, and used it to make a mold, then cast what he needed from brass in that mold. They needed some machining, grinding, and polishing of course, but once finished, they looked and worked like the originals. Pretty cool. Athough that was actually brass, not "cartridge brass" or gilding metal; I'm not sure about differences in casting with them.

Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:59 pm

I used to use my spent primers to load special 12 gauge shot gun for shooting at tree limbs in the Winter. They worked great for shooting in tight to cabins cause the primers would not travel very far. Since BREA ran new power lines on much higher poles I have not had to trim the trees back. There might still be someone else in a rural environment here at the group that needs to trim trees back so that the powerlines do not short out.

Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for all the tips. My young neighbor is going to spearhead this operation and take away $100 for doing all that is required.

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any reason why you don't just sell the brass to reloaders? No issue with primers then...

Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Normanator wrote:
Any reason why you don't just sell the brass to reloaders? No issue with primers then...

This bunch of brass is all damaged and not fit for sale. :wagwoot:

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:
Normanator wrote:

This bunch of brass is all damaged and not fit for sale. :wagwoot:

That'll do it

Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next