Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:05 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 I'm torn, to thread or not to thread? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A for sale post here has me questioning my current plan.
For starters I am waiting for my TBA Ultra Suppressor for my 300WM and .308 Tikka hunting rifles. Bit of a Tikka/Sako nut. Friday I will be picking up a used, but still beautiful Sako L61R in 300WM as well. Had intentions of getting the 308 and the Sako threaded for Suppressor Brake/Mounts, as my Tikka Superlite already is.
Is the rifle too nice? Is it sacrilege? I have the brake for it, my first instinct was to thread it. I am starting to question myself a bit. The idea is to have 2 rifles of same cal, bbl length, etc for consistency in handloads and to back each other up during hunting trips if something happens to one. These rifles provide a unique opportunity of that as Sako makes both bbls.
What say the brain trust?

Cant seem to figure out how to post link of the rifle search.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed May 25, 2022 4:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do it. Sako Finnbears are nice rifles but hardly in the realm of true collector guns like the English examples (Purdy, et al) or rare oldsters (pre WWII especially) that are best left alone.

Wed May 25, 2022 5:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Personally, i wouldn't do it to either of those rifles. Too pretty to desecrate the original barrels and hang a Can off the end. Ruin the balance, add to much length for hunting and it just isn't right.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed May 25, 2022 5:08 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

They are tools for putting food on the table, not window dressing.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Wed May 25, 2022 5:20 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dreadi wrote:

But its so Sexy! HK is right, its not some uber rare rifle, but she purty.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed May 25, 2022 5:27 pm

dreadi wrote:

Exactly...
If you want collector guns, then buy collector guns.

Sakos and many others are nothing overly special. Pretty yes,,,Special no.
If you just want pretty guns, start shooting Trap and spend your ass off on "Gorgeous guns"

Nitro Products
FFL Dealer
SOT Dealer

Wed May 25, 2022 6:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would do it, wouldn't even think twice. It makes sense, and if it's done right it'll just make a nice gun better.

There is a limited group of people for whom the resale value would be lower. But for most of the rest of us, it'd be worth more if properly threaded than just as it is. It's worth doing, and it's worth paying someone good to do it right.

Just don't try to do it yourself with a piloted setup like some other guy here was talking about. That would pretty much ruin it IMO, until you had it cut back and done right.

Wed May 25, 2022 10:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You guy's are focused on the threading, but that Finnbear has a sporter barrel and hanging a can on the end fucks up the balance. Might even have to shorten it to get the meat needed to thread 5/8", you aren't going to get away with a 1/2x28 Can with the Caliber.
It is a hunting tool, now go hunt with it and let it be that tool.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed May 25, 2022 11:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
You guy's are focused on the threading, but that Finnbear has a sporter barrel and hanging a can on the end fucks up the balance. Might even have to shorten it to get the meat needed to thread 5/8", you aren't going to get away with a 1/2x28 Can with the Caliber.

I'm not sure you have a complete understanding suppressors or threading, based on what you're saying here.

There is no such thing as a "1/2x28 can", but there are certainly 30 caliber rifle cans with the ability to mount to a 1/2-28 thread, if that's what you meant. He would use a 30 caliber can with either a direct 1/2-28 (or whatever size) thread mount, or use an adapter between the barrel and suppressor. And depending on the barrel profile, 9/16-24 (or -28) and 1/2-28 threads are common sizes used for sporter profile 30 cal barrels for brake and suppressor mounting. There are several ways to skin that cat, including adding a small shoulder to the barrel if necessary, or indexing on the muzzle instead. He can even have a brake installed that doubles as a QD suppressor mount, if he wants.

Also, suppressors can be removed. They aren't generally a permanent installation, so the whole balance thing is optional. There's no downside to having the ability to mount a suppressor if one wants; it doesn't mean it's always there if you're worried about balance. But that seems to be your concern much more than the OP's so whatever.

Thu May 26, 2022 1:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Tikka Superlite that I've hunted with has a fluted bble. Very lightweight. Kicked like a mule. Had Benchmark install a brake on it several years ago. Night and day difference. With this suppressor though, I'd like all my hunting rifles (all hapen to be .30cal) be able to use the can. So a Tikka T3 Lite in .308, and the Sako Finnbear in 300WM. Benchmark did a 9/16-24 thread for the brake. They said it's pretty standard for that type of bbl. This suppressor mount is a brake, and supposedly functions well as a brake, but also make mounting the suppressor quicker and better.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Thu May 26, 2022 5:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:
usrifle wrote:

I'm not sure you have a complete understanding suppressors or threading, based on what you're saying here.

There is no such thing as a "1/2x28 can", but there are certainly 30 caliber rifle cans with the ability to mount to a 1/2-28 thread, if that's what you meant. He would use a 30 caliber can with either a direct 1/2-28 (or whatever size) thread mount, or use an adapter between the barrel and suppressor. And depending on the barrel profile, 9/16-24 (or -28) and 1/2-28 threads are common sizes used for sporter profile 30 cal barrels for brake and suppressor mounting. There are several ways to skin that cat, including adding a small shoulder to the barrel if necessary, or indexing on the muzzle instead. He can even have a brake installed that doubles as a QD suppressor mount, if he wants.

Also, suppressors can be removed. They aren't generally a permanent installation, so the whole balance thing is optional. There's no downside to having the ability to mount a suppressor if one wants; it doesn't mean it's always there if you're worried about balance. But that seems to be your concern much more than the OP's so whatever.

It is my observation that while you are knowledgeable on the subject, you are wholly incapable of transferring that knowledge to the community at large without being a condescending ass. Just because you might know more than someone else doesn't mean you have to rub it in their face.

Thu May 26, 2022 7:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KeystoneCowboy wrote:
My Tikka Superlite that I've hunted with has a fluted bble. Very lightweight. Kicked like a mule. Had Benchmark install a brake on it several years ago. Night and day difference. With this suppressor though, I'd like all my hunting rifles (all hapen to be .30cal) be able to use the can. So a Tikka T3 Lite in .308, and the Sako Finnbear in 300WM. Benchmark did a 9/16-24 thread for the brake. They said it's pretty standard for that type of bbl. This suppressor mount is a brake, and supposedly functions well as a brake, but also make mounting the suppressor quicker and better.

That's perfect; a suppressor mount brake is the ideal solution for what you've said you're looking for.

Fri May 27, 2022 12:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
Yondering wrote:
usrifle wrote:

It is my observation that while you are knowledgeable on the subject, you are wholly incapable of transferring that knowledge to the community at large without being a condescending ass. Just because you might know more than someone else doesn't mean you have to rub it in their face.

How about you quit following me around to reply to almost every comment I make about how I offend you so much? Seems this started when I said something you didn't agree with, but that's been quite a while ago. Grow up and get over it already; you're acting like a petulant kid.

Fri May 27, 2022 12:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Let me solve this dilemma for you.
Give me the cans, and I will put them on my POS Savage .300 and my truly ugly Howa .308
Then we go shooting, easy peasy

Fri May 27, 2022 4:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welp, its done. Barreled action along with a couple Tikkas were dropped off at Benchmark this morning with the brake/mounts.

Now if only Mikey was a decent friend he'd offer to refinish the stock for me.....

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Fri May 27, 2022 10:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next