Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:30 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 What are the modern options for sa/da compacts? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The GF was mentioning wanting a carry gun, i personally believe in sa/da for carry, what modern guns should i look at? I rotate between a p64(95% of the time), 1911(not sa/da),s/w m10, and a taurus 82 for carry but i figure she needs something lighter and smaller.

Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

shaggy wrote:
...i personally believe...

...but i figure she needs...

Most folks will tell you to get rid of these 2 statements.

Take her somewhere that you can rent guns, and let her figure out what she’s comfortable shooting.

If she’s not comfortable shooting it, she won’t practice, and if she won’t practice, she probably shouldn’t/won’t carry it.

So, then it’s in her nightstand, but she’s still hesitant.

You’ll save yourself a lot of headaches, arguments, and money, if you let her pick it, and then sign her up for a women’s only class.

That’s been the consensus here for years.

Good luck! :thumbsup2:

Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been carrying a CZ75 P01 with a couple upgrades and feel it is the best carry gun I have ever had.
I like da/sa for carry and the P01 has a decocker feature that makes it better in my opinion.
Cajun trigger job, different grips and tritium night sites.
The upgrades do raise the price a bunch, but I feel my life is worth the money.
I would offer to let try mine, but I live about 5 hours south of you. If you travel down south of Olympia let me know and she could try it out.

Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:25 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

^ What NWG said. Provide her with some pros and cons, and then let HER decide what she wants — even if you think it’s the “wrong” decision. Really, it’s not any different than helping a friend who wants to buy a gun, except that if you get too pushy with your opinions then you’ll be on the couch for a while.

We have a lot of ladies come through the Adventure Protection classes. We let them shoot a lot of different guns, and then many go on to buy their first. Any of the “EZ” guns from Smith & Wesson are a popular choice. Some get a P365 or a Hellcat. And of course, lots of others too. Very few go out and buy what some consider the right choice “for a woman,” the small revolver.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:29 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Staying on CZ, how about a P-07.

Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pretty much what the folks mentioned above. Rentals at a range to determine fit and comfort level. If you are dead set on a compact DA/SA, than perhaps the CZ Rami or CZ PCR. There is also the HK P30SK or P2000.

If you open it up to include striker, than there are a ton of options, most notably the SW EZ series, Sig P365, Glock 43, HK VP9SK, etc.

Good luck!

Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
^ What NWG said. Provide her with some pros and cons, and then let HER decide what she wants — even if you think it’s the “wrong” decision. Really, it’s not any different than helping a friend who wants to buy a gun, except that if you get too pushy with your opinions then you’ll be on the couch for a while.

We have a lot of ladies come through the Adventure Protection classes. We let them shoot a lot of different guns, and then many go on to buy their first. Any of the “EZ” guns from Smith & Wesson are a popular choice. Some get a P365 or a Hellcat. And of course, lots of others too. Very few go out and buy what some consider the right choice “for a woman,” the small revolver.

Actually, having her take a class before buying might not be a bad idea, either.

That way, she can figure out what she likes before you buy anything.

Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:59 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

NWGunner wrote:
Actually, having her take a class before buying might not be a bad idea, either.

That way, she can figure out what she likes before you buy anything.

Ideally, yes. But . . . it's also important to recognize that your first gun purchase isn't a lifetime commitment. As most of us know, the first gun we bought is not typically our lifelong choice. Your tastes change, better things come out, whatever. So, she could buy whatever she likes now, and then later if she changes her mind, buy another one. :bigsmile:

And in theory she could sell the first one, but I'd never actually recommend that. :ROFLMAO:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also, if this is a serious defense gun. Ignore the price tag. You are buying once.
Find the firearm that works. We went through a couple before my wife fijnd her perfect gun.
It's now a toss-up between the sig 938 and the m&p ez. Both fit her small hands, and she can actually rack the firearm. Sonwthjng on the shirld that was a problem. She really liked that one, but releasing the slide and racking wS a problem. You don't need or want problems.

Lots of good advice in this thread.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Proverbs 27:12 -- “A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.”
Need Long term Food or Survival Supplies, I have extras, Grab the Supplies_Available.pdf. Prices Quoted are close to my actual cost:
https://backupcomputing.workplace.datto.com/filelink/6af06-883bf7e-31d469c0e1-2
Link corrected 1/30/2021.

The prudent Wagunner trains and prepares to defend themselves and their families, friends, and neighbors. They also are prepared to feed, shelter, and provide aid as well.
Danger is coming and may already be here, how prepared are you? Click the link above for lots of good info to get started.

Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:05 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would also recommend a .22LR caliber option for training and familiarization. I’ve found that it is very helpful for new shooters to train on the myriad of fundamentals with out the variable of recoil. Once recoil is removed, the shooter is able to focus better and have a better training experience. It makes it much easier to then move up to the self defense caliber of choice, when ready, in my experience.

NRA Range Safety Officer
NSSF Member
SAF Defender's Club - Life member
US Navy - 1976-1982

Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:31 pm

Beretta PX4 sub-compact. I have the full size version, it was my first gun purchase and to this day I keep it with me always. Very reliable gun.

Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Springfield XDE is one of your few choices.

Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All of these have there place but if you can take her to the range and rent a couple.
See what she likes to shoot over what YOU might want her to have. This will get you major points along with a gun she will want to go shoot
Some are harder to find or a little older but not to old.
Beretta tomcat 32
Or 21A 22lr
Or a little bigger the cheetah
Or model 84,87

Sig p230 or 232 380
Sig p239 9mm or 357sig 40

Hk p2000
Or uspc 9 or 357,40

Walther ppks
If your thinking bigger a p99as

As others have said cz compact po1 aluminum frame so it's not to heavy for carry.
How about the 82 or 83 ?

Or how about Ruger is it the lcr that is a 22 mag polymer revolver?

Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:57 pm

Absolute YES on the idea of taking her to the range and rent.

For me, I'd recommend looking at some of the older SA/DA concealables such as any of the smaller S&W 3rd Generation 3913 or 3914 Lady Smiths, Chief's Special in 9, or 6904 or 6906.

Also I'd suggest you look at S&W 9mm EZ (hammer fired with grip safety and thumb safety and their .380 EZ...both designed for women and those with less hand strength to rack a slide and safety for someone not experienced in carry.

Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]