Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:46 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Erathr3 rifle opinions? 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Some guy on another forum offered me an Erathr3 klepto in trade. I had never heard of it until I saw it on the page. Anyone know anything? Particularly SHOT show attendees who may have seen one in person?

Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:27 am

Over priced boutique ar15.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mainly marketing.

AR15s are legos. If you gold plate them, they're still legos. Sure, you don't want Duplos, but the differences between a $800 and a $2500 AR are more in what you pay and less in what you get.

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:25 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

This is a bolt gun with Stiller action and Proof barrel.

Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:35 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

das_napeth wrote:

It’s a cool rifle and it looks like they spared no expense in the development. The price tag is a bit proud. For your money you’d do a lot better to have Tom Ryder build you a custom rifle.

If you want a high end bolt gun it looks like a nice build. Probably won’t get your money out of it on a sale/trade though due to them not being a common name.

Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stokes wrote:
Mainly marketing.

AR15s are legos. If you gold plate them, they're still legos. Sure, you don't want Duplos, but the differences between a $800 and a $2500 AR are more in what you pay and less in what you get.

This.... thumbsup

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:59 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Sinus211 wrote:
das_napeth wrote:

It’s a cool rifle and it looks like they spared no expense in the development. The price tag is a bit proud. For your money you’d do a lot better to have Tom Ryder build you a custom rifle.

If you want a high end bolt gun it looks like a nice build. Probably won’t get your money out of it on a sale/trade though due to them not being a common name.

Appreciate it, Tom had never heard of them either. I'm not necessarily looking to buy such a rig but was just contemplating the trade aspect.

Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lol

He never even said how much trade value it is, and half of ya didn’t know what it is and giving advice

Have any of you actually held, shot one?

They make quality shit.

Stokes wrote:
Mainly marketing.

Haha

So your saying a clapped out PSA is the same as a KAC but. Just more money... :bonghit: :ROFLMAO:

Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree to your first point, that members are sometimes far too quick to give an opinion without dutifully reading a subject, but value isn't quite so easy to determine without neoclassical economics, which are quite impossible to nail down in an artificially inflated market which fluctuates daily. I would argue that in such times, the objective values are far outweighed by subjective values.

Which has more value... The $2500 AR that lives in your safe because you are afraid to lose value through use..... Or the $300 PSA build that gets used and abused, all the while building skills and confidence?

Personal story: About a year ago, a business acquaintance invited over for dinner decided that it was show and tell time after the subject of rifles and preparedness came up. He brought in his "truck gun", which was bar none ..the fanciest AR pistol I've ever seen. He explained that it was a carbine graphite barreled, $3500 blah blah blah. It looked brand new, without any signs of use. When I asked him how it shot, he was incredulous that I would suggest devaluing his investment through USE!

Yes....I would absolutely argue that my $300 PSA build, reaching the end of it's barrel life, scratched all to shit with 3 different coats of krylon, is more valuable than that boutique POS. I KNOW that my rifle will function.

Therein lies the rub of the argument. If you collect guns for intrinsic value as a commodity, your value of them is sustained only by the existing market. If you invest in guns as tools...than their value is defined by the work they can do. A $10,000 set of snap-on tools is completely worthless to an individual with no mechanical aptitude. Conversely, a rifle with a price tag so high as to interfere with it's usefulness, does NOT make the owner more proficient. Hence, IMO...no value beyond show and tell.

mustangfreek wrote:
Lol

He never even said how much trade value it is, and half of ya didn’t know what it is and giving advice

They make quality shit.

Stokes wrote:
Mainly marketing.

Haha

So your saying a clapped out PSA is the same as a KAC but. Just more money... :bonghit: :ROFLMAO:

Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mustangfreek wrote:
Lol

They make quality shit.

Stokes wrote:
Mainly marketing.

Haha

Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR's aren't collectible are they? They won't ever appreciate in value. There are hundreds of millions of them. You buy an AR to shoot, not be a safe queen.

That bolt gun? If you could get it with the s&b scope for $2k in trade you should do it.

Last edited by snozzberries on Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:37 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

snozzberries wrote:
AR's aren't collectible are they? They won't ever appreciate in value. There are hundreds of millions of them.

Let me just quote that so we don't lose it . . . may need to reference that hypothesis in the future. :ROFLMAO:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]