Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:45 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Water damage - Update 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

So I woke up to an indoor flood this morning. One of the damn kids left the upstairs bathroom sink running overnight and it flooded everywhere. We have the water extraction people at the house now but are going to need some serious rebuild. There is water in a whole bunch of walls, dripping through the light fixtures in the kitchen--everything is soaked. The water extraction company apparently also offers rebuilding services, but I'm not ready to sign up with them just yet.

I guess my question is should I shop this around? I'm worried that any top-notch contractors will be booked out all summer already and it will take forever to get them in. My homeowners insurance (USAA--who has been awesome so far, by the way!) doesn't have a specific contractor for me to work with and left it up to us to find one. It would be convenient to hire the same people who are already there, but I don't know anything about them. And I really hope I can get Sinus to fix my wood floors, so I'll have to break it up anyway.

Anyway, any advice from someone who has been through this or is connected to the home repair industry would be nice.

Last edited by DGM33 on Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:15 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Oh pisss...I don't have any suggestions, but that sure sounds horrible. I wish you luck in finding someone reliable.

Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:03 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Oldandcranky1 wrote:
I had a similar problem and used Paul Davis to do the repairs. Was not impressed with the gentleman that was in charge of the project. YMMV

Good to know, thanks!

The company doing the water extraction is Response Team 1. I found one review online and it was positive. It just makes me suspicious when they're ready to sign up for the renovation part before we've even had an insurance adjuster out to see the place.

Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry to hear about this Jacy. After the fire I had a lot of work to do. After learning some lessons the hard way I was put in touch with "Fritz". He came with good high recommendations from the King County Housing Repair folks. Turned out to be a God send. Got my house back better than it ever was...…..whithin the insurance budget. His number is 425-985-2703. C&S Contracting

Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:57 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

dan10mmman wrote:
Sorry to hear about this Jacy. After the fire I had a lot of work to do. After learning some lessons the hard way I was put in touch with "Fritz". He came with good high recommendations from the King County Housing Repair folks. Turned out to be a God send. Got my house back better than it ever was...…..whithin the insurance budget. His number is 425-985-2703. C&S Contracting

Thanks Dan!

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm just an insurance agent, but can give you some pointers. Some of these are probably common sense, hope I don't sound condescending.

1. Insurance companies/agents don't typically choose or recommend companies for the repair portion (we do for the immediate mitigation). Doing so would tie the insurance company to the repair company in a way we don't like i.e. if they screw up, it makes the insurance agent or company look bad for recommending them.

2. Get terrific photos of your home and yard, not just of the damaged area. Just in case the company you pick does a crappy job, or beats up your yard/door/hallway/whatever. You have visual evidence of how it looked before. Not to scare you, 95% of the time everything goes great, it's that 5% that makes everyone look bad --- insurance company for not paying for something, and repair company for wrecking your stuff.

3. Work with your claims people and ensure they know what the repair company plans to fix and for how much. USAA is a good company (I am a Farmers agent) so this should be pretty easy to arrange. Document everything!

4. If Sinus isn't available I know a good flooring guy on the south end. I don't have a lead into a good restoration company anymore. Even when I did work over that way I never found one company to be light years ahead of another one, and I'm in the Spokane market now.

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We had similar, also with USAA. They had a remediation team at the house (on a Sunday), in about three hours. They set up dehumidifiers, fans, and started taking readings to track the damage. They had a packout team there within two days to remove everything from the affected rooms, down to the walls and floors. They also cut away the damaged drywall to allow the underlying stuff to dry. They declined to be the contractor to fix it, as they view it as a possible conflict of interest. I think it was Superior? I can confirm with Rita. Be prepared for a couple of weeks of constant noise from the equipment, and heat (which should be wonderful with the weather this week).

USAA didn't have a preferred contractor in my area, so I employed Everett Bill (can't recommend highly enough).

If you've got questions, send me a PM with your number & I'll give you a call.

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:15 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everett Bill is a good guy. IIRC he has extensive experience dealing with insurance work.
The 90 degree weather should work in your favor to help dry you out, but do avail yourself of the fans and dehumidifiers. Having just torn out a moldy basement that wasn't dried out properly after a similar incident I can assure you you don't want to build that moisture into the repair work.

PM inbound

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:18 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

hkcavalier wrote:
I'm just an insurance agent, but can give you some pointers. Some of these are probably common sense, hope I don't sound condescending.

1. Insurance companies/agents don't typically choose or recommend companies for the repair portion (we do for the immediate mitigation). Doing so would tie the insurance company to the repair company in a way we don't like i.e. if they screw up, it makes the insurance agent or company look bad for recommending them.

2. Get terrific photos of your home and yard, not just of the damaged area. Just in case the company you pick does a crappy job, or beats up your yard/door/hallway/whatever. You have visual evidence of how it looked before. Not to scare you, 95% of the time everything goes great, it's that 5% that makes everyone look bad --- insurance company for not paying for something, and repair company for wrecking your stuff.

3. Work with your claims people and ensure they know what the repair company plans to fix and for how much. USAA is a good company (I am a Farmers agent) so this should be pretty easy to arrange. Document everything!

4. If Sinus isn't available I know a good flooring guy on the south end. I don't have a lead into a good restoration company anymore. Even when I did work over that way I never found one company to be light years ahead of another one, and I'm in the Spokane market now.

That right there ^^ is the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks!

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the kind words.
Jacy, pm inbound.

Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:55 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Jacy and I spoke earlier about his situation. I just wanted to relate to anyone else reading this to avoid Response Team 1 at all costs! I recently had a work experience with them where they turned a 6 week water damage repair project into a 4 month ordeal for the poor homeowner. They paid me 70 days after their payment due date, and I had to file a lien on the customer's home to even get a response from them (they went dark on communications 45 days overdue on payment).

In my experience they are a poorly run, badly mismanaged, and very inexperienced company. They seem to always be working with new subcontractors, probably due to delinquent payment, and just can't work a schedule properly from what I've seen.

If Response Team 1 showed up at my house for any kind of work I would shut the door and call my insurance agent immediately to book another company and I strongly suggest anyone else do the same!

Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the bright side you now have one less mouth to feed. :bigsmile:

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:49 pm

I have to ask why did the sink not drain? Dad and I no longer do that kinda work both retired but a few years ago we had some dimwits in the cabin tract turn on the wrong valves and that sent 12gpm through the neighbors cabin for a couple days. Happened during the Winter. Fortunately the cabin was all knotty pine so I just had to spend three days heating the cabin above 90 degrees to dry it out. Damage was minimal but it did take 12 yards of dirt to fill the hole outside the cabin that the water drained from.

Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:27 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Update:
First off, if Sinus211 gives you advice, take it!!

Second: If you have water damage, get ServPro to your place immediately. Nobody else.

Third: They're tearing the shit out of our house. It's gonna be along ride, boys. But do not, under any circumstances, let Response Team 1 into your house. The ONE guy they sent was nice but completely unequipped to do the size job we have. I'm so glad we got them off the job and have ServPro on it.

Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DGM33 wrote:
Update:
First off, if Sinus211 gives you advice, take it!!

Second: If you have water damage, get ServPro to your place immediately. Nobody else.

Third: They're tearing the shit out of our house. It's gonna be along ride, boys. But do not, under any circumstances, let Response Team 1 into your house. The ONE guy they sent was nice but completely unequipped to do the size job we have. I'm so glad we got them off the job and have ServPro on it.

ServPro and ServiceMaster are pretty much the McDonalds and Burger King of the business. In more ways than one, they are franchises and the quality DOES vary. Glad you got a good one.

Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]