Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:08 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Mechanic Needed: Timing Belt 

Looking for someone who can replace the timing belt on an 05 Saturn L300. I went to Bron’s in Olympia a while back and I guess it was over $1,400. I can find the parts online for a couple hundred bucks…willing to pay someone to install the parts if it’s doable for less than that.

Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:55 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Brons office manager is a member here. I play pool next to bron every Wednesday (he sold the business, but is still local).

Did the quote include replacing the water pump? Saturn recommends it since the pump is under the belt and should be replaced at 100k miles.

Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Brons office manager is a member here. I play pool next to bron every Wednesday (he sold the business, but is still local).

Did the quote include replacing the water pump? Saturn recommends it since the pump is under the belt and should be replaced at 100k miles.

Same with a 1998 Toyota V6 in the 4Runners. I had a shop quote me stupid, they wanted to charge me for the Timing belt AND the Water pump labor. When you do a Water pump, you have to remove the timing belt, it's just the next step to remove the pump.

I told them it doesn't matter whether you install a new belt, or an old belt when you do the job. I'm not paying labor for both.

It was about 900 after i straightened that shit out. That included the pump too.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:20 pm

Massivedesign wrote:

Yes it included the water pump being replaced. Looks like both the belt and pump are sold together as a kit.

https://partsology.com/products/timing-belt-water-pump-kit-hydraulic-tensioner-cadillac-saab-saturn-95-05-3-0l-2l-tbk315wp-27

Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:23 pm

I’m assuming the belt is what gave out. It’s WELL past due, but the quote totaled the car so I didn’t get it done.

It just died in a parking lot and won’t start, so I can’t think of what else it could be. Hopefully no damage but it was idling when it went out.

So…both parts getting replaced.

Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your engine is listed as an interference engine.
Might need head/valve work along with that new belt n pump.

Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:

Same with a 1998 Toyota V6 in the 4Runners. I had a shop quote me stupid, they wanted to charge me for the Timing belt AND the Water pump labor. When you do a Water pump, you have to remove the timing belt, it's just the next step to remove the pump.

I told them it doesn't matter whether you install a new belt, or an old belt when you do the job. I'm not paying labor for both.

It was about 900 after i straightened that shit out. That included the pump too.

That's good to know. I just did all belts and water pump on a 1998 4runner after getting quotes in the $1300-$1400 range. I was into it for about $300 including a tool to hold the harmonic damper pulley. The water pump went out at 3 years almost to the day.

Good luck with your car LowLead.

Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:52 pm

Thanks. All I really know about it is an engine mount bracket or two needs to come off, and I don't have a jack to support the engine, let alone the tools or knowledge to do the job myself. From what I've been told the parts are hard to source which is what drives up the cost, but they seem to be in stock online so I'm not really sure.

Anyway it's pretty urgent so I'm willing to pay for someone's latest gun gadget as long as it won't set me back that much.

Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:12 pm

Just realized I’m not hearing the fuel pump prime the engine on cold starts.

Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:40 pm

I was gonna say fuel pump.

It shouldn't have been idling at all if the timing belt broke. If it was, would have been a VERY SHORT time, and extremely rough.

Did it idlenormal, then just die?

Engine light on (indicating trouble codes stored)?

Check fuel pump fuses/relays first.

Fuse is easy, to check a relay, switch it with another relay from a different, less essential spot, if you can, see if you hear the pump go.

Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:01 pm

ViniVidivici wrote:

It shouldn't have been idling at all if the timing belt broke. If it was, would have been a VERY SHORT time, and extremely rough.

Fuse is easy, to check a relay, switch it with another relay from a different, less essential spot, if you can, see if you hear the pump go.

Good idea. Fuse is ok, unfortunately the relay is a PITA and has tabs I can't reach without some kind of a puller. However there is no fuel pressure at the Schrader valve. I can't really bang on the pump directly to see if I can knock sense into it, but with no fuel pressure/noise I think that's a pretty good indication.

I will schedule pump replacement service, AND get that timing belt+water pump done so I don't test my luck twice...thanks to all! thumbsup

Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:14 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

LowLead wrote:
ViniVidivici wrote:

Good idea. Fuse is ok, unfortunately the relay is a PITA and has tabs I can't reach without some kind of a puller. However there is no fuel pressure at the Schrader valve. I can't really bang on the pump directly to see if I can knock sense into it, but with no fuel pressure/noise I think that's a pretty good indication.

I will schedule pump replacement service, AND get that timing belt+water pump done so I don't test my luck twice...thanks to all! thumbsup

If you go back to Bron's, find Lennie and kick him in the nuts.. Tell him you are a WaGuns member!

Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]