Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Auto Mechanic - RMS Oil Seal - 07 5.3 V8 Chevy 

Just seeing if there are any free lance mechanics that would be interested in doing the RMS on an 07 Chevy Avalanche 5.3 V8? I rang a few shops local and they want $1500+ for the job, which I can appreciate may well be the going price. But on a 1 income household I'm just looking to see if there is a way to lower that price, get the job done and put some money in the pocket of someone in the group.

Located in the Redmond area but willing to travel. Could be done in my garage I guess too, just not sure on what access is needed (life etc..)

Any info would be greatly appreciated.... of course this would be cash ;o)

Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not a cheap seal to change, but look at the bright side, you dont need to change oil because the dirty oil drips out the bottom, the underside of the rig wont rust, and you will always know where your parking space is.

Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

shaggy wrote:
Not a cheap seal to change, but look at the bright side, you dont need to change oil because the dirty oil drips out the bottom, the underside of the rig wont rust, and you will always know where your parking space is.

That’s how all the Model T guys roll.

Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Flat rate time is around 7 hrs. There is a back plate on the engine that has to come off, so it's a full R&I of the transmission and flex plate to get to it.

As a quasi-professional, I'd say let it leak for a while unless it's dumping a quart every 50 or something. With the roads around here getting salted and chloride'd during the winter, you'll get cheap rustproofing like shaggy says.

Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:42 pm

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the advice. I've had it for about 6 months or so but its quite a bad leak. Visibly dripping out as soon as you stop, so while I am not overly concerned with associated mechanical issues, its just so messy and as you state, gets everywhere!

I guess the cost is the cost given the type of job it is so I'll have to see what I can do.

Appreciate the guidance.

Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]