Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 I need a Machine Shop for cylinder head work 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My shop in Lacey closed due to the owner retiring.

So I'm looking for a competent shop.

Doesn't need to be in the Oly area but not north of Tacoma.

-- Travis A Kisner

Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dale Green in Auburn is my recommended place. Copes in Tacoma/parkland would be second

Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just take an angle grinder to the heads to re-surface them, and use a lot of JB Weld when reassembling - it is a great head gasket and valve seal back up.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RENCORP wrote:
Just take an angle grinder to the heads to re-surface them, and use a lot of JB Weld when reassembling - it is a great head gasket and valve seal back up.

Sound advice.

Im assuming this work will be performed on a ford of some sort, so most any kinda backwards tractor repair shop in lewis/thurston/banjo county, should be able to whip it out to spec. :bigsmile:

Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
RENCORP wrote:

Sound advice.

Im assuming this work will be performed on a ford of some sort, so most any kinda backwards tractor repair shop in lewis/thurston/banjo county, should be able to whip it out to spec. :bigsmile:

Rene...this isn't Canada, you hoser.

And Old growth...here I was just beginning to like you... :bigsmile:

I'll check out Dale Green, I've never used Cope's but have heard good things.

-- Travis A Kisner

Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never mind Dale Green - go to the Red Greene Show instead. Take off, eh?

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Too far away, but i have a guy in monroe i'm going to have do a set of ford exprlorer gt40(casting not car) heads, If anyone is on the hwy 2 area, there is a good garage machinist i deal with

He did the machine work on my badass "factory" 350hp 327 and that thing has kicked ass

Anyway, anyone that wants to drive to a garage shop in monroe, PM me

Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
RENCORP wrote:

Sound advice.

Funny, only rig to ever leave me on the side of the road had a bowtie. 3 times! Head issues every time.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is Paul calling it quits?

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:44 pm

Heads Up in Auburn.

US Constitution: VOID where prohibited by law.

Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
Is Paul calling it quits?

Yep...I talked to him yesterday. Said he retired.

-- Travis A Kisner

Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:07 am

I know this is an older thread but Dale is closing up shop. He might still be open but not much longer. Tacoma I’d hit Buds machine shop near Lakewood. If you’d like to drive Fosters Machine in Kent is a damn good shop. He takes awhile for completes but worth the wait!

Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just my .02 but I'd just get a pair of off the shelf fully assembled heads from summit or jegs and Craigslist your old ones to recoup some funds. In mine and my friends worlds time is money and downtime for our rigs is not acceptable lol. Heads are a big deal and most oem castings don't and won't (without a TON of work/money) flow like aftermarket ones will. Plus I think the last set of afr's we sourced were only like $700 shipped. But, I'm all about supporting our local small businesses too so if time is not an issue I totally get it.

Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

rgates3 wrote:
I know this is an older thread but Dale is closing up shop. He might still be open but not much longer. Tacoma I’d hit Buds machine shop near Lakewood. If you’d like to drive Fosters Machine in Kent is a damn good shop. He takes awhile for completes but worth the wait!

I have no problem recommending bud, but he is very old and very slow. He has NO more shop helper and is overwhelmed. He will tell you this himself. So don’t be in a hurry if you see bud. He is very good/knowledgeable tho.

Dale just did a block for me. Just did my buddies heads.
One week he is retiring, one week he is selling, one week the shop kid is buying him out etc,, yadda yadda yadda.

As long as dale is answering the phone, your golden, :wink05:

Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bob Lee Swagger wrote:
Just my .02 but I'd just get a pair of off the shelf fully assembled heads from summit or jegs and Craigslist your old ones to recoup some funds. In mine and my friends worlds time is money and downtime for our rigs is not acceptable lol. Heads are a big deal and most oem castings don't and won't (without a TON of work/money) flow like aftermarket ones will. Plus I think the last set of afr's we sourced were only like $700 shipped. But, I'm all about supporting our local small businesses too so if time is not an issue I totally get it.

Not a high performance application, I'm talking about a 1991 Ford 2.3 head off of a Ranger. For whatever reason #2 intake valve welded itself stuck open in the guide.

I ended up buying a used motor with a spun rod, cleaned the head up and the rig is back in service.

-- Travis A Kisner

Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next