Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:42 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 NEEDED: Help Installing Scope and Boresighting Rifle 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello fellow WAGunners!

I am wondering if there’s anyone local (or near to) Lacey/Olympia that can help me mount a scope on my new (to me) AR10 and boresight it. I do not have a bench/vise/mount or boresighter or any experience with the process. If someone could help a brother out I’d very much appreciate it!

Please PM or message me at 360 seven-nine-zero 3630

Thanks!
Dave

Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:36 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you want to do it yourself, here's how I'd do the boresighting:

- Mount the scope. (If you need tips on that, let us know.)
- Separate the upper from the lower. Remove the BCG.
- Set your upper (which now has the scope mounted on it) on a table, or stack of books, or whatever . . . pointing out the window or across the yard. You want it resting on something, you don't want to be holding it.
- Look through the barrel from the breech end. You'll be able to see something through the barrel . . . your neighbor's chimney, your bird feeder, whatever.
- Now look through the scope. Do you see the chimney / bird feeder?
- If not, adjust the scope, and keep moving your eye back and forth from the barrel to the scope, until they are looking at the same thing.

Voila, done. An AR is probably the easiest gun on which to do this. No fancy lasers needed.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:55 pm

That is an excellent explanation of exactly what you should do.

It'll get you on paper easily.

Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When mounting scope, first hang a string from a high point or ceiling to act as a plumb-bob and which you'll be able to see through the scope.

Play around with the scope (loose top rings) and establish and mark for eye relief. (blue tape on the scope at the outside of one or both rings, or pencil marks.

Level the rifle with a scope level or other leveling device.

Look through the scope at the string to bring the reticle to level. Make witness marks on scope and rings with a pencil so you know if it was jostled out of place as you go along from here.

Add lock-tite to ring screws and tighten to specs using a cross pattern to tighten the screws incrementally.

You can install the rings dry as a practice and then repeat with lock-tite on the final run.

Probably the worse thing that will happen (unless you don't observe proper torque) is that you have to get to spend some more time fracking around with your rifle re-mounting/adjusting. (don't use red lock tite)

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks guys! Sounds like something even an idiot like me can do!

Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:48 am

When I worked at I5 I used to sort of turn down people who wanted bore sighting. Why charge someone to do something they could do in 5 minutes? I did sometimes have to explain that all it does is get you on paper and is NOT the same as zeroing. It just saves a few rounds.

The way Madpick described it is better in my opinion than using a laser. Lasers, whether the type that go in the bore or in the chamber can change position if they rotate. So that means they are off anyway. Might as well just aim at a cinderblock 25 instead.

Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]