Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:32 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Stripped torx screw, need this SOB out 

Have a Bren 2S receiver that came to me used, changing the rails on it which all use T25 torx screws. Had already been exchanged once and some were slightly stripped. Tried by luck and, of course, I got all but ONE of those suckers out. Last one is good in there and too stripped to remove, tried the rubber band trick. Little f*cker probably needs a slot dremmeled into it and a good turn out. Other screws just had blue loctite, not red or rockset, and a decent amount of torque on them.

This is on a firearm receiver so I'm just looking for a smith as close to Seattle as possible who can get this little bastard out. I do not care about losing the screw or the existing MLOK rail sections. Suggestions on who to head over to? 206 SevenOneEight 1773 is my number.

Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

T27 bit and a hammer?
T25 bit and epoxy?

Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try an allen head that is similar in size to a T25 bit, I just went through this with a pocket clip on a spyderco knife that uses a T6 and I was able to shove a T7 in and get it out

Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure if this is the right size kit but these are great.

https://www.thegrabitstore.com/collections/grabit-pro/products/alden-8440p-grabit-pro-broken-bolt-and-damaged-screw-extractor-4-piece-kit

/Thread

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

zombie66 wrote:
Try an allen head that is similar in size to a T25 bit, I just went through this with a pocket clip on a spyderco knife that uses a T6 and I was able to shove a T7 in and get it out
Winner. Shit has worked for me on various projects in the past

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

scrid2000 wrote:
T27 bit and a hammer?

This, but first heat up your soldering iron and hold it on the screw for a minute or so until the Loctite smokes. It stripped in the first place because of the Loctite combined with too much torque; heating the screw more than the surrounding part releases both of these problems.

Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:08 pm

Great suggestions, don't have a T27 (T30 is my closest, far too large) or a soldering iron unfortunately, other heat source would just heat everything evenly.

Allen/hex wrenches I have seem either too large or small. Will try hammering one in in the AM though. I still think this will probably have to be slotted to extract it. Pretty good amount of torque.

Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I usually find a flat head that fits in just right corner to corner. That and the heat.

Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

chunkyhenry wrote:
Great suggestions, don't have a T27 (T30 is my closest, far too large) or a soldering iron unfortunately, other heat source would just heat everything evenly.

Allen/hex wrenches I have seem either too large or small. Will try hammering one in in the AM though. I still think this will probably have to be slotted to extract it. Pretty good amount of torque.

$15ish at harbor freight for a 1 time use soldering iron and a set of T bits. That's without a coupon I'm guessing

Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dremel.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
Dremel.

Dremel is definitely the way to go if you can't get it out with a slightly bigger bit.

Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Put all of the other screws back in. This will take some pressure off the stubborn one.

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1811GNR wrote:
Not sure if this is the right size kit but these are great.

https://www.thegrabitstore.com/collections/grabit-pro/products/alden-8440p-grabit-pro-broken-bolt-and-damaged-screw-extractor-4-piece-kit

/Thread

You really should consider these. One end of the extractor is a drill, the other end is a reverse twist extractor.
I was extremely frustrated when one of the Allen head sex bolts (yes, that is what they're called), that hold the suppressor bits together on my Maxim 9, stripped. I did not want to send it to Silencerco right after my stamp cleared. Found these, I don't remember where, and decided to cautiously give them a try. Worked like a dream. Silencerco sent me spare sex bolts, they really should have used Torx.
Used them again, repeatedly, when I was rebuilding part of my deck.

Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay, now that the finesse is out of the way, it has to be said:

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

See if you can jam a hex bit in there probably not but it is worth a try, otherwise drill the head out, it will relieve the pressure and you can grab it with a knife blade and screw it out.

Otherwise you drill down smaller and hammer a hex bit into it like a broach. Then screw it out.

Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next