Switch to full style
Post here if you are in need of a specific service, or have a job opening to advertise.
Post a reply

Problem solved

Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:50 pm

Anyone have the tools and experience to bend a 8' piece of 3/4" steel into a 90 degree angle with an approx. 36" radius about midway on the 8' stick.

Problem solved
Last edited by NWRed on Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Looking to have some steel 3/4" round stock bent

Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:07 am

I have done it but I am way to far from you. If you price out the job you will faint. In my case I needed to make supports for the bunk roof of a camper. After getting a price to have the round stock bent that I got for free from my nephew I went down to Harbor Freight and bought their large bolt down to the floor model bender. To bend the 3/4 I used the rose bud tip on my acetaline torch to warm it up and once warm it bent rather easily. The supports I made had a 6 inch radius.

Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:13 am

That would be a two minute job if I could get it into my work, unfortunately it's too big to sneak in my backpack..

Anywhere that makes roll cages should have something like this I'd imagine. It's a quick easy job.

Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:24 am

A community college that has welding or automobile/diesel repair programs may be able to help you if you ask nice and bring donuts.

Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:56 am

NWRed wrote:Anyone have the tools and experience to bend a 8' piece of 3/4" steel into a 90 degree angle with an approx. 36" radius about midway on the 8' stick.

36" CLR is rolled, not bent. clamp it to a 55 gallon drum and start heating and wrapping it around. It will go faster then you think with a decent bud a oxy/ace torch.

You can even cold bend it with a strap, truck and a 30" tree.

How precise and clean does it have to be? Intended purpose?

I have jd2/hossfeld, a bendpak exhaust machine and a press brake but no roller.

It can be bent gradually over a drawn out area with a smaller radius die.

Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:15 am

These have the capabilities to do. If your looking for professionals.
Ask for Josh or the owner Zach.

https://www.under-pressureracing.com/capabilities-2

Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:26 pm

Old Growth wrote:
NWRed wrote:Anyone have the tools and experience to bend a 8' piece of 3/4" steel into a 90 degree angle with an approx. 36" radius about midway on the 8' stick.

How precise and clean does it have to be? Intended purpose?

Doesn't need to precise, just a consistent curve ideally. It's a track for a rolling gate.
I half assed a test piece already and wasnt happy with the final results. :bigsmile:

Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:52 am

Fab Shop in Milton.
He's bent bars for us stock car racers and a builds equipment.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:42 pm

have to source a drum but i could make it happen if you dont find something more convenient

Re: Problem solved

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:02 pm

I appreciate all the responses, took some of the suggestions and tweaked my existing piece a little bit and came out with a satisfactory result that worked on the mock up yesterday.
Post a reply