Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:46 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Tree removal/trimming 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We just moved to Woodinville and need to take care of the trees around the house. I had 3 companies to do an estimate and they gave me 3 different suggestions on which trees are healthy and which need to go. I have absolutely no knowledge on the trees. Would appreciate any advice or recommendation.

Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:11 pm

I am an amateur logger (30+ years) with a large piece of old/2nd growth mixed timberland. My first statement is that the majority of "recommendations" for tree removal are profit based. I have seen lovely, healthy trees cut down for ZERO actual cause. In my opinion most times you do NOT need to remove them

Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would murder them all. Then I would butcher them.

Trees will kill you (and your family). Or at the least they will rust out your car and cement pollen all over your windshield. Also, ask your gutters what they think of these heinous monsters growing around you.

Yep, killem all!!!

Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DrNoWay wrote:
In my opinion most times you do NOT need to remove them

Sometimes you don't NEED to you just WANT to. :wink05:

Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are couple healthy trees that I want to remove to get more sun in the backyard. Other than these two, I do not want to remove healthy trees. I gotta study the trees now to make my own judgement :-)

Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look at the tops of the firs and cedars. If they are brown then the tree is drying.

If it’s a maple tree, it’s dying. That’s a given.
If it’s a Cotton wood, it's a POS that makes a mess and is becoming a bigger POS every year.
If it’s an alder it’s going to spread little ones like a rash. It will eventually break off in a wet snow anyways.

Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:29 pm

What kind of trees do you have? Maples, alder and cottonwood are weeds and should all be cut down. Cedar and firs are good unless they are at risk of blowing into your house during a storm.

Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://swifttree.com/

We've used Buck Swift for several years to take care of our 5-acre PUD. He is a certified arborist and can supply the documents that most jurisdictions require. Check to see if you need a permit before you cut. If you do need a permit you will probably be required to replant trees in proportion to what was removed. Buck can also grind the stump which is pretty important.

Our local permits go through Mybuildingpermits.com as clearing and grading permits. IF that applies, the website will tell you what documentation is required.

Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:42 am
FFL / Dealer

We used Aadams for 2 tree removals at our old house in Lake Forest Park. I was happy with their work, and they left the firewood behind. Both trees were removed because one over hung the house and the second was where I was parking the truck and I didn't want a broken branch to damage the cars. In the evergreen state I could live with 2 less fir trees. This was from about 7-8 years ago. https://aadamstreeservice.com/

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for the recommendations. I will try Aadams and swifttree.

We have hemlocks, fir, and some cedar. It's hemlocks that I am struggling with. One large fir is certainly dead and cedars are all fine.

Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:29 pm

If the hemlock would do serious damage to your house if it fell, cut it down. They are inherently weak trees that like cutting houses in two.

Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]