Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:57 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Building a Garage 

So looking to build a garage , was going to go with a all metal kit like a glorified carport. I live in University Place prefer to get permits etc... any suggestions... thanks!
Shop size 24'x24' × 12' sidewalls...

Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Order your kit in Oregon. Have them deliver and save lots...

Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whatever size you decide on add 25% to it, I’m not kidding either.
Years ago I had drawn up plans to build a 24’x32’ shop (pole barn type structure) but my old friend coerced me into making the final size 30’x48’ and I am thankful for his wisdom.
Make sure that you build it where you will be able to add on to it when you finally fill it up full of crap, like I did. :rofl9:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Talked my son into going 24×32 instead of 24×24 he thought it was too big but did so. Now he wishes it was bigger. 12 foot high is good idea, put in a higher garage door.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check with the building department before you start planning anything

In Tacoma I couldn't build my detached garage taller than 15' so I had to go with 10' walls and lower pitch trusses than my house. There's also a required rear yard that I couldn't take up more than a certain percentage of. There are required setbacks too...

My lot is only 7000ft² so all the codes pretty much dictated what size the shop was going to be

Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:58 am

I'm in North Tac. I was going to self perform my garage which started out as a 44'x36' with 20' of that width having 14' tall walls. Well the city wouldn't allow a structure of that size to be built on my lot which is 50'x120'....Seems like when you pay the taxes on a place you live in, you'd be able to dictate the size you build. Nope. I'm now building the "glorified carport" at 20'x36' with 14' tall walls. Permits being done through Puget Sound Permitting. Structure through JM Buildings. I'm self performing the excavation/formwork and concrete.

Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The old saying rings true, you do not own the land that you paid for... :popcorn:
Government is like a huge HOA, hated by all for their Nannying...

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:
Years ago I had drawn up plans to build a 24’x32’ shop (pole barn type structure) but my old friend coerced me into making the final size 30’x48’ and I am thankful for his wisdom.
Make sure that you build it where you will be able to add on to it when you finally fill it up full of crap, like I did. :rofl9:

I did. Wasn't enough.

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

danoh wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:

I did. Wasn't enough.

Ok, I’m going to start advising folks to ad 50% and to get hoarding intervention. :ROFLMAO:

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]