Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:38 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Anyone local to tacoma have experience with reviving cars? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m with old growth. Put a battery in it, see if it will start. Check the oil level first. I might be able to swing by in the morning if you are available with a battery. I assume it’s near Tacoma? If you are really worried pull the wire to the coil and crank it over until it has oil pressure.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

skey wrote:
Pull the plugs. Squirt some oil in the cylinders, and run a couple revs by hand. Re-install plugs. If any corrosion set in it can prevent cracking a ring if one hangs up on start up. That gas tank may not be siphon proof.

Completely agree 100%, solid advice on this. This would be my 1st step before doing anything else- lubricate the cylinders before trying for crank it over. 2 yrs is a long time not being fired up. Could even use transmission fluid as it’s thin and full of detergents. After cranking over by hand, turn it over with the starter to shoot out any excess fluid from the cylinders before putting in the plugs. It’ll smoke up the neighborhood for a few mins when it fires up. My gearhead Mopar uncle taught me about this method.

Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alright ill try and grab a battery on payday and see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

spikedzombies wrote:

Put a battery in it, pull the Coil wire and crank it to get some lube and Oil Pressure. Reattach the Coil wire and fire that bitch up.
It's a Ford, it will Run. (and i'm a Chevy guy) :bigsmile:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jerrods wrote:
skey wrote:
Pull the plugs. Squirt some oil in the cylinders, and run a couple revs by hand. Re-install plugs. If any corrosion set in it can prevent cracking a ring if one hangs up on start up. That gas tank may not be siphon proof.

Completely agree 100%, solid advice on this. This would be my 1st step before doing anything else- lubricate the cylinders before trying for crank it over. 2 yrs is a long time not being fired up. Could even use transmission fluid as it’s thin and full of detergents. After cranking over by hand, turn it over with the starter to shoot out any excess fluid from the cylinders before putting in the plugs. It’ll smoke up the neighborhood for a few mins when it fires up. My gearhead Mopar uncle taught me about this method.

3rd this. I would also get some oil on the valve covers if its easily accessible through the oil fill plug any half-descent yard mechanic will know what to do.

Check the oil, and if its milky (water) or really dark it needs to get changed. The oil is 2 years old anyway so it will break down unless is a straight weight. Personally I would do the 30 dollar oil drain/filter/fill but change it before running the engine a lot.

I assume it has a carburetor unless it got a new ECU with the engine. The things called float bowels get nasty and need to be drained or cleaned after 2 years. Our fuel adsorbs water like crazy here, so its best not to use 2 yo fuel (esp with the ethanol content). The good news, just to test the engine the mechanic can use carb starting fluid to check starting ability and disconnect the fuel lines. If fuel lines have to be drained the transfer pumps from harbor freight are cheap. Be very careful with gas.

You can start it up like others suggested and it may work, but you run the risk of blowing a ring or sticking a valve. Even if it runs it will take away useful engine life.

I am not expecting you to do this yourself, but this is a good to know some stuff before hand so that you don't get screwed over by a incompetent/lazy mechanic.

Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
spikedzombies wrote:

Put a battery in it, pull the Coil wire and crank it to get some lube and Oil Pressure. Reattach the Coil wire and fire that bitch up.
It's a Ford, it will Run. (and i'm a Chevy guy) :bigsmile:

Yep, it worked on my Ford, which had been sitting 20 years. Oil squirted through the spark plug holes, turn engine over by hand, new gas, and check for spark. Then give her a go.

Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some serious overthinking going on in here!!

Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just watch some Vice Grip Garage on youtube, you'll be fine :bigsmile:

Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chances are 99% any moisture in the cylinders, have already done damage it needed to do, hang on the rigs and pit them and maybe stoving them up in the lands. Cranking without squirting oil in there really isn't going to help or make it worse, aside from possibly loading up the plugs. I'd be more concerned about a valve stuck in the guide and eyebrowing a piston top.
But pulling coil wire or killing power to the secondary and cranking to oil pressure will help in bearing life.
Grab a heavy blanket and starting fluid, crank and spray. Any fire out the hole toss the blanket over it IF it doesn't go out with continued cranking. Stack fires, generally cranking sucks the fire back into the plenum.

Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Update since it's been forever

Truck starts and runs and drives just fine after a fresh battery and some minor cleaning of parts and starting fluid.

The gas tank was empty which is good.

No engine noises and nothing seem to be broken

Hurrah

Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was gonna wait for the outcome before I mention that your GF car is in great shape, drive that... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Good to hear that the Bronco is ALIVE!!! :thumbsup2:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:
I was gonna wait for the outcome before I mention that your GF car is in great shape, drive that... [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]
Good to hear that the Bronco is ALIVE!!! :thumbsup2:
The truck is with my dad, I have a brand new 2021 kia forte so I'm good lmfao

Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

spikedzombies wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:
make model miles?
Its my blue bronco, I'm pretty sure had it at your place before. Unless my mind is lost.

80s, full size, v8, and less miles is unsure since engine was redone back in early 2000s by previous owner.

Post on here, or PM me if you are thinking of selling and it isnt too clapped out... I might be interested in anouther bronco for the fiancée, she likes my '86, and i'd like to get her out of her equinox to something i can work on, and stockpile spares. She needs a rig to occasionally carry a bale of hay but daily otherwise.

Tue May 18, 2021 8:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2