Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:31 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 WaGuns Book Reviews 
Site Admin
Site Admin

hkcavalier wrote:
I mentioned "The Dog Stars" by Peter Heller in another thread so I thought I'd pop over here and do a review.

No...not the actor who played Robocop (and Buckaroo Banzai...). That's Peter Weller.

Damn . . . you're in my head. That's scary. icon_eek

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been able to read a lot of books here...another one I finished recently was former SecDef and retired USMC General James Mattis's book, Call Sign Chaos.

I would break it into two major parts: his time in unit leadership up through the division/task force level, and then when he transitioned to bigtime staff roles, CENTCOM commander, and of course SecDef. He doesn't say much about his time as SecDef; my belief is that there's not much that's both interesting and permitted to disclose to the public.

The first half is much more enjoyable. His philosophy on leadership, how to treat your people, and how to both be in the moment with them --- show you care and actually give a shit --- and also lead and drive forward is absolutely one to reverse engineer, copy, and adopt.

The second half is more about his frustrations with superiors, both military and civilian. He has very few nice things to say about Gen. Franks, GWB, Panetta, Obama, etc.

I definitely recommend it to anyone interested in military history, leadership, and philosophy. He doesn't get nearly into Stoicism as, say, Admiral Stockdale does in his memoirs, but it's there. Mattis's recommended reading list is pretty intimidating and I'm sorry to say I've read very little of it to this point in my life, something I'm looking to remedy.

As most of you probably know, he's a WA native from Richland.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Half way through "When Broken Glass Begins to Float"

A Woman's recounting of her experiences in war torn Cambodia and suffering at the hands of the Khmer Rouge.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue May 05, 2020 8:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History

1918 Flu............about 90 pages in and so far only about medical history in the USA. Setting up the telling. But if you don't know about that, or anything about how med schools and science driven medicine came to be in the USA, he covers it quite well. I see the flu beginning soon.............some may want to get to the intercourse sooner. Will follow up after 555+ pages.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Wed May 06, 2020 2:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Reading the second book in the "Breaking Gods" story, by D.J. Molles.

He's really coming into his own as an author.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Currently on book 4 of Jeff Shaara's World War II series.

The books in order are:

Book 1: The Rising Tide (North African and Sicily Campaigns)
Book 2: The Steel Wave (Normandy Invasion)
Book 3: No Less Than Victory (Battle of the Bulge and end of war in Europe)
Book 4: The Final Storm (Pacific battle for Okinawa)

I really like his writing style.
The people in the stories are real. The events are factual.
Dialog is assumed and based on journals, diaries, memoirs, and declassified reports.
You feel like you are right next to these people.

At the end of each book (so far), there's an Epilogue that tells what happened to the people after the events in the books.

I also am planning on reading his book "To Wake The Giant" about the Pearl Harbor attack.

He also has a 3 book series on The Civil War and one book on the Korean War.

I definitely plan to read the Korean War book, since most of what I know about that war came from watching M.A.S.H.

https://jeffshaara.com/p/books

Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DJ Molles' "The Black Rifle War".

Geezer gets arrested buying more than the quota of ammo. He and his family get trounced by the media and court of public opinion. Feeling compelled to do something to fight back the geezer inadvertently blows up an anti-gun protest which ushers in a new President's Executive Gun Ban. Thing circle the drain and crisis erupts.

Timely subject matter.

FJB

Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hkcavalier wrote:
So I posted above about my book coming out...

:prettyeyes:

FJB

Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
hkcavalier wrote:
So I posted above about my book coming out...

:prettyeyes:

That post was regarding the first book. The sequel, barring something tragic, will be out the week of the 25th. I'm slogging through some final edits but it's 95% in shape and ready for release.

Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome, looking forward to reading it!

Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In Order to Live: A North Korean Girl's Journey to Freedom - details on that nasty place

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had to read Stephen King's On Writing for school. So, I get that not everyone on WaGuns wants to be a fiction writer. But if you are at all interested, King is blunt about what it takes and the long odds you face. He had been a starving writer for several years before getting paid the big bux for Carrie.

Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was reminded today (by a post on the author's own blog) about a book I read some time ago called "Gaiastan" by Troy Grice, which presciently, it would seem, anticipated much of the lunacy that has played out on our national/global stage. Vaccines, vaccine passports... and some of the stuff tossed about in the tin-foil-hat thread

The gentleman has several other engaging books (on Amazon, conveniently - if you don't mind trading with the Devil Bezos) that I highly recommend.

FJB

Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
I was reminded today (by a post on the author's own blog) about a book I read some time ago called "Gaiastan" by Troy Grice, which presciently, it would seem, anticipated much of the lunacy that has played out on our national/global stage. Vaccines, vaccine passports... and some of the stuff tossed about in the tin-foil-hat thread

The gentleman has several other engaging books (on Amazon, conveniently - if you don't mind trading with the Devil Bezos) that I highly recommend.

No one offers an on-screen and hardcopy printing system like Amazon. In the old days, I'd have to pay for a run of my books and hope they sold (at a small profit, but I'd have to sell 90% of them just to break even). Now, Amazon does a run of one copy and delivers it in a couple days for a pretty reasonable price. This was unimaginable just a few years ago.

It's one thing to pull your dollars away from Bezos for household items, food, electronics, etc because there are many, many alternatives. They have the little guy book market all locked up. There's some other places to e-publish but I'm not aware of anyone doing the same sort of POD service.

Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HK, I've read a lot of books offered from Prepper press and some from Book Funnel. Are these the same kind of services that you reference as available from Amazon? And would they be competitive?

FJB

Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next