Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 WaGuns Book Reviews 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
HK, I've read a lot of books offered from Prepper press and some from Book Funnel. Are these the same kind of services that you reference as available from Amazon? And would they be competitive?

Book Funnel is a "helper" site for ebooks while Prepper Press is a small-time traditional publisher. I reached out to Prepper Press back in 2019 and they stated they weren't accepting submissions. I've had reviewers state my first book was better than 299 Days but that means little in this case. You can go down to the Hyundai dealership and try and convince them to sell superior Toyotas, but they're already in bed with Hyundai. The only way to get their attention, or from any publisher, at this point is to show a mountain of positive reviews and organic sales. People love to back a sure thing.

Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DJ Molles, who wrote The Remaining, has a three book series, fantasy, called Godbreaker which is fairly entertaining.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And, speaking of DJ Molles, you illiterate heathens, he's published a Christmas story that, if/when made into a film, will supplant James Stewart's "It's a Wonderful Life" AND Bruce Willis' "Die Hard" ( yeah, I said it).

Don't worry, it has a few guns in it, but it will get you a little squishy and Christmas-y too. Your wife/gf will probably like it as well.

This guy usually writes about Zombies and alternate universe stuff with lots of guns and explosions and flying body parts, so I was tad skeptical, but he pulled it off. Sort of a modern day "A Christmas Carol".

Merry Christmas, beeyotches.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P5Y796H

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.whatyouwilllearn.com/book/ordinary-men/

Interesting book recommended by Doug Thornton.

Ordinary Men looks at the height of the Second World War, the German army had minimal resources to continue the war to the East with Russia, and simultaneously execute Hitler’s ‘Final Solution’. The Nazi party had already used up all of the ideological killers in their country. They were left with the dregs. They would have to use Joe the local Butcher, Jim the Primary School Teacher even Grandpa George to get the job done. The only people left all had working class jobs like truck drivers, dock workers, construction workers and machine operators. They were ‘normal people’ like you and me, but were called upon to execute millions of innocent Jews.

Ordinary Men tells the story of one faction, the Reserve Police Battalion 101 and how they were transformed from normal citizen into ‘professional killers’.

Reminds me of the Milgram Experiment:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

The Milgram experiment(s) on obedience to authority figures was a series of social psychology experiments conducted by Yale University psychologist Stanley Milgram. They measured the willingness of study participants, men 20–50 years old from a diverse range of occupations with varying levels of education, to obey an authority figure who instructed them to perform acts conflicting with their personal conscience. Participants were led to believe that they were assisting an unrelated experiment, in which they had to administer electric shocks to a "learner". These fake electric shocks gradually increased to levels that would have been fatal had they been real.

Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just about done with Mark Levin's American Marxism.

I had mixed feelings the whole time reading the book. It read like a doctoral dissertation on the history of Marxism in America, with the occasional thoughts/opinion of Levin slotted in (which you don't see in research papers). At first, I felt like the whole thing was 25+ years out of date. It's like an intruder alarm that goes off and wakes you up --- and you open your eyes only to see the gun pointed at your head. It's waaaay too late to do anything about it. Unfortunately, Levin offers no solutions to fix the problem you probably already knew about, but after reading the book you definitely know: that Marxists are rife in American business, academia, media, and politics/bureaucracy.

Then I realized that just might be the point. If this book came out in 1995, or 1975, or 1955, it wouldn't have made a difference. Conservatives generally leave things alone and live their own lives as they see fit. The window to crush Marxism in America closed sometime in the late 1960s. Now, we're talking about millions of people who are working toward collectivism and a government powerful enough to control all aspects of life. It's metastasized to the point it can't be fixed, and anything that attempts to do it will be just as bad. Prepare for the worst. They're ready to make their big move in the next 5-10 years, tops.

So, if you already know the system is screwed, save your $$$ unless you really want to know who the top American leftists were/are in the past few decades. That's all I really took from the book.

Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of my favorites is the Forever War by Joe Haldeman
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Forever_War

Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"The Decline and Fall of Pax Americana" ~Desert Doc and A. Greyman

FJB

Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
"The Decline and Fall of Pax Americana" ~Desert Doc and A. Greyman

How is that a review?

Do we just post titles now?

Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Started reading "I Betray You."
It's a story about the tyranny and surveillance state in Communist Romania.

Many chilling parallels to what we slowly boiling frogs are seeing emerge here:

"Imagine a madhouse where the lunatics are running the asylum and the workers are punished for their sanity."

"The State controls the amount of food we eat, our electricity, our transportation, the information we receive."

Just a few chapters into the story of a young rebel who is trapped into being an informer.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

FJB

Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Moving from historical fiction to poli-sci I've not read the book but am putting it on my to-read list:

"Rules For ANTI-Radicals" F. Paul Valone

"Said NC House Representative Jay Adams in his forward to the book, “Paul has refined Alinsky’s methods and turned them mercilessly against the left.”

"The book gives tools and tactics not only for conservative political activists but also for mainstream Americans being silenced in their daily lives by woke leftism."

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2022/04/rules- ... z7RaHNjauB
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

FJB

Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
Moving from historical fiction to poli-sci I've not read the book but am putting it on my to-read list:

"Said NC House Representative Jay Adams in his forward to the book, “Paul has refined Alinsky’s methods and turned them mercilessly against the left.”

"The book gives tools and tactics not only for conservative political activists but also for mainstream Americans being silenced in their daily lives by woke leftism."

Thanks!

Just ordered a book!!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:

This probably a pretty good beginner book. Nothing really wrong with his points. I just find it elementary, repetitive and somewhat lacking. That said if people are just waking up to the bullshit around us, great starting points.

Anyone want the paperpack, PM me. Will send, no charge.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon May 09, 2022 5:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mil Sci-fi from local Author.
Ebook is free for now:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071GN8Y4G/

FJB

Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Thoughts on the kentucky rifle in it's golden age" is just as awesome as the target audience thinks, i read it cover to cover while in middle/high school and it helped me on my rifle builds....

Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Been reading the "Nomad Series" by Karen Travis.

Originally intended as a prequel to the "Galaxy's Edge" sagas (Jason Anspach et al) Travis was unable to keep to that narrative and it has spun into an independent and unconnected storyline.

At first I was disappointed when she announced separation from the Galaxy's Edge plot - despite the first book containing some teasers which were intended to lead back to those books - but she's managed to forge her own concepts and characters in a story about eco-collapse, warfare, and escape into space. (with alienz!)

First book was called "The Best of Us". I'm now on book two, "Mother Death". A third book is impending.

FJB

Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next