Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:20 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 WaGuns Book Reviews 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
So funny Jim. Last week I started:

The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth Book 1) Kindle Edition

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Writer is a left winger. It's a little complex, writing style a bit odd but different. Some of the reviewers couldn't follow it (I take that as a challenge). But the earth quaky earth and defined "magic" are decent.

Man she had a solid premise going, decent world............then somehow just couldn't leave the buttsex alone and also just going into the boring and dry. I could not even finish book one. It's like 60% in she had a brain injury or something. :doh1: :trainwreck:

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:03 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Pablo wrote:
Man she had a solid premise going, decent world............then somehow just couldn't leave the buttsex alone and also just going into the boring and dry. I could not even finish book one. It's like 60% in she had a brain injury or something. :doh1: :trainwreck:

Reminds me of "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card. I read it as a pre-teenager (short story) and was mind blown by it's intelligence and alt-thinking. Very very good short story. The kind of story that makes me growl in frustration that it was a short story, and not a 50 volume shelf full.

Later I dated a pretty girl and we talked about favorite writers. I named Orson Scott Card, and she said "Oh, I have read the whole trilogy (or quintet?)."
"What?" says I. "Ender's Game is a 35 page short story."
She said that it was at least a trilogy of novels and I thought that she must be an airheaded girl trying to impress me to get in my pants. You know how girls can be. The sci-fi novel is also called Ender's Game.

But I looked it up, very happily ordered the whole set and was thoroughly disappointed with the change in writing style. What a switch!

Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I posted above about my book coming out...

I'm trying to read the tea leaves, and I may be wrong, but I just don't think now is the best time for an economic disaster novel. I'm going to sit on it and work on another less socioeconomic dependent creative project.

And, well, collect guns and shoot them in my spare time.

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:35 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

hkcavalier wrote:
I'm trying to read the tea leaves, and I may be wrong, but I just don't think now is the best time for an economic disaster novel.

Im just curious: Why do you think this?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
hkcavalier wrote:
I'm trying to read the tea leaves, and I may be wrong, but I just don't think now is the best time for an economic disaster novel.

Im just curious: Why do you think this?

I just think there are events on the horizon that will make the book more popular/marketable. One of the issues with near-future fiction is it has a shelf life. Once you pass that setting in the book, it's now alternate history and not nearly as enjoyable. You can set dates with speculative fiction and even when passed they can remain enjoyable (1984, 2001: Space Odyssey, etc).

So the trick is, don't pin your book to a specific fork in the near future. I'm still working on that.

Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

D J Molles has another installment of "The Remaining" series out and a trilogy called "District 89: A Grower's War" (not weed).

First two books of the Grower's War are somewhat slow, as everybody is suffering under an occupation and hostilities are only starting to brew (kind of like WA is?) but now into the third book and things are hopping.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finished the Grower's War trilogy. Decent enough story.

Just finished The Red Cliffs of Zerhoun by Mathew Bracken. It was a decent read. Kind of Guns of Navarone-ish.

Need a new story. Whatchew guys got?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While HK's book is on the shelf for later... I'm taking a break from the fiction gloom and doom to venture back into the NON-fiction gloom and doom.

Reading a book called "Why Nations Fail". I anticipate it will illuminate some of the challenges we are currently facing as a nation but in the early stages of the book the author is explaining why Central and South America, despite having a greater abundance of people and resources (at least at the onset of conquest) has lagged so far behind North America. Why is it still so much poorer (for the average joe, at any rate)...

He insists it has to do with the political institutions and patterns of power. (To me it shows how important it is to have your politicians home address and phone number and the might of a righteous armed citizenry)

FJB

Last edited by jukk0u on Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I finished HK's book. That was just cruel.

Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:

Translate please.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Translate please.

Don’t spoil it please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
usrifle wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Translate please.

Don’t spoil it please

Had not planned on it.

He is a good story teller. The author is not telling the world he is the best writer ever, but the book is very readable and had me hooked. I'm leaving it at that.

Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
RocketScott wrote:
usrifle wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Translate please.

Don’t spoil it please

Had not planned on it.

He is a good story teller. The author is not telling the world he is the best writer ever, but the book is very readable and had me hooked. I'm leaving it at that.

Fair enough. :thumbsup2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't worry --- the cruelty won't last forever...

:bigsmile:

Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's been on my Kindle app for a while, but I finally got into Turn Red Tomorrow.

Great story. No objection to any of the content as some voiced above.

Chilling concept.

FJB

Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next