Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Ruger American Rimfire .17HMR range results 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, a few months ago, when I got back from gopher hunting in Montana, I HAD to have a new .17 HMR rifle. It just so happened that at the time I had enough Cabela's Bucks accumulated to get a Ruger American Rimfire in .17HMR with no out of pocket costs. The model I got is the "compact" model with a shorter composite stock and 18" barrel. The smaller size makes it easy to handle on quads/atv/sXs.

Anyhow, I mounted an old budget Bausch and Lomb 3-9 on it and took it to the range today. What a sweet little rifle! 3/4" groups @ 100 yards and all 5 shots touching or multiple shots thru same hole at 50yds. I was using Hornady 17 grain V-max cartridges. Wind and mirage were moderate.

The rifle has a nice adjustable trigger, which was perfectly acceptable and nice, but I did a non factory approved mod on it so it is smooth and crisp and a touch lighter than was possible with the stock adjustment screw.

I have fired some buddy's Savage bolt actions in .17 HMR, and I like the Ruger much better. Very solid, and their rotary magazines can't be beat. Frankly the rotary mags on the Savages sucked. FTF were very common with the Savage rifle/magazine combo. The Ruger never skipped a beat, feeding and extracting/ejecting like butter.

All in all I couldn't be happier with this rifle, (unless it was available in a left handed version, like the centerfire models). It's a solid, cute, handy, very accurate little popper. Gophers Beware!

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]