Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:57 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 DJ's Loan & Sport in Bothell. 

Anyone been in here? I went in, there were a lot of guns and ammunition to look at, but I'm unsure if I'll go back. Service was okay, but as a customer taking a look around, they should have asked if I needed any help within the first 10 minutes(I was there for nearly 30 minutes).

I give this place 3/5.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:06 am

I've been there a number of times, and actually really like the place. Nice selection, and I prefer to be able to look around without somebody jumping to help me......until I'm ready, and then they've been very responsive and helpful.
DJ's gets a big thumb's up from me.

"We do not fight to be free; we fight because we are free"
Avraham "Ya'ir" Stern

!אחרי

Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thumbs up for DJs. I too do not like to get pounced on by sales staff. No pressure. Friendly staff. Large selection. Reasonable prices........A+

Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:30 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

sabasarge wrote:
I've been there a number of times, and actually really like the place. Nice selection, and I prefer to be able to look around without somebody jumping to help me......until I'm ready, and then they've been very responsive and helpful.
DJ's gets a big thumb's up from me.

Yeah, this has been my experience too, and I feel the same way.

I've never actually bought anything there (yet) . . . but I love to stop by and browse. I don't go to any other gun shops that have such a large selection of older guns.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:16 am

I've bought a couple of guns from DJ's.
I really like the warm, no pressure atmosphere and always drop in when I have a minute.

It sounds like Bruce wasn't there.
He usually gets a greeting out before the door closes behind you.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G-19 wrote:
I've bought a couple of guns from DJ's.
I really like the warm, no pressure atmosphere and always drop in when I have a minute.

It sounds like Bruce wasn't there.
He usually gets a greeting out before the door closes behind you.

When Bruce or his wife is their things are good but if he is not and the younger guy is their I walk out

Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bruce and Tina are great. Bruce's brother David, eh, not so much. He's not bad to deal with, he's just indifferent to his customers. If you go there while Bruce is holding court, there'll be a half dozen guys clustered around him shooting the breeze about guns or whatever, and Tina is efficiently handling his requests for information, working the phone, doing 4473 paperwork, or demonstrating something for a customer. And like was said earlier, it's difficult to get in or out the door without Bruce calling out to you. I don't believe his brother has ever done so, at least not to me. I just make sure to go on days when I know Bruce & Tina will be there. If I walk in on days when they're not, I browse around a bit, and leave.

I like that you can walk behind the counter and grab what you're interested in looking at, and there's nowhere else that I'm aware of that has that many guns available to see, except maybe Cabela's, and that's a long drive for me. Plus if you've got a question about a firearm, Bruce is an encyclopedia of knowledge who's more than willing to share it, and if he doesn't know, he knows someone who does.

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:59 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bruce and Tina :thumbsup2:

its hit and miss with the other guys depending on their mood, but you can't beat the selection.

Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just wanted to chime in and echo some of the other statements. I've bought four guns from them, and DJ's has been an unfailingly satisfying experience each time I walked in. Bruce is friendly and generous with his time and sizable knowledge, and David's straightforward and businesslike approach works as a good counterpoint to his brother's willingness to chatter. The regulars are indeed regulars, and it's a comfortable sort of place where you can hang out and swap stories and advice with other folk. At 31 years old, I'm usually the youngest guy in there by a few years.

I'd been popping into their shop each weekend for the last month and a half or so, looking to see if they had a Ruger 10/22 Tactical Target (heavy barrel, over-molded stock, bipod mount, etc). I'd been itching to teach my girlfriend to shoot a rifle, and as long as I was buying one... I might as well get the one I want, right? ;-) Last weekend, I was in luck! They had a brand new one sitting on the rimfire rack, priced to move. I picked it up, took a look, got the "ooooohh" eyes from the gf, and walked it over to Bruce to ask him about it. We'd got to talking Ruger's for a couple minutes when he got a glint in his eyes, motioned me closer, and in a quiet voice told me about another 10/22 they'd recently pulled in on a trade that hadn't made it out to the shelf yet. Custom trigger, he said. Heavy barrel like the one I was holding, too. He nodded at David with a wry smile and told me to go ask him about it.

David had his hands full with a few people, so I waited patiently until my turn came and asked him about it. We clarified the one Bruce was talking about, and he disappeared into the back.

When David returned, what he held defied expectation and my eyes widened in awe as he placed a beautiful Volquartsen .22 into my hands. Gorgeous wood sporter stock with a raised cheekpiece, Volquartsen action, TG2000 trigger pack, floated and fluted bull barrel with a threaded crown all in satin, and a Leupold one-piece scope base with rings. I don't even remember pulling out my credit card but the deposit is paid, I pick it up on Monday, and it's felt like Christmas Eve all week long!

Don't be discouraged if you don't get the warm fuzzies from David. He and the rest are all good people, and they're there to help. A couple of years ago I bought my first rifle from them, a Remington 700 BDL in .30-06. David told me straight up that if I had any problems with it at the range or decided that it wasn't for me, to bring it back and they'd help me figure out something better. I haven't been to any other gun shops that look out for people like that, and I don't feel too compelled to go looking either.

DJ's Loan & Sport. Score! :thumbsup2:

Edit: After a week of obsessive research and waiting to get my .22, it is with much chagrin that I admit I didn't know what I was looking at. It's a Ruger 10/22 with some nice features, including a Volquartsen TG2000 trigger. Not sure about the stock, but it looks pretty much identical to VC's Laminated Sporter Stock. Whoopsies. :)

Last edited by player0ne on Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

personally...A+

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:32 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

player0ne wrote:
I just wanted to chime in and echo some of the other statements . . . .

Awesome review. Thanks for sharing! thumbsup

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:58 pm

Bruce died and their is insome old fat guy in there who proceeded to tell me where every thing is I told him I have been coming here for years
I was looking at a gun when he yelled at me " DO You want it. I told him I'm looking at it! I was the only one in the store! If he's the clown that is buying the place he'll run it in the ground.

Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, you weren’t happy the last time you went in, either...

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=119771&start=0

Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:23 pm

BONEFISH2150 wrote:
Bruce died and their is insome old fat guy in there who proceeded to tell me where every thing is I told him I have been coming here for years
I was looking at a gun when he yelled at me " DO You want it. I told him I'm looking at it! I was the only one in the store! If he's the clown that is buying the place he'll run it in the ground.

You resurrected a decade-old thread to post that?

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never had a bad experience there, it's a shame Bruce is gone.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]