Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Samsung Xcover6 pro toughphone with removable battery 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So after 6 years of loving my LG v20 and all the amazing features it has including military grade toughness and waterproofing (even though it has a removable battery, yes that's possible don't let people lie to you) and an awesome summary screen on top that tells you alerts and messages and has quick functions without using the whole screen, my phone finally started to die the eventual death that all compact electronics do after years and years (it was 8 years old). I started looking around for removal battery phones and there aren't a whole lot of them that are left that are really high quality.

The lie that phone manufacturers tell you about why they don't have removable batteries anymore is because they claim that's the only way to make them waterproof. That's a lie. It's really about selling you a new phone every 2 years when your battery eventually dies because you don't want to spend the huge amount of money to take it to an authorized repair place that can open the phone up without damaging it and replace the battery. And then of course there's the battery-gate scandal from Apple where they're settling for over 300 million in Federal Court for having secretly updated users' iPhones with software that intentionally slows performance to stop people from noticing that the batteries are dying prematurely. If they had had removable batteries none of that would have been a problem. Also do you remember the Galaxy Note 7s? And how they used to explode and catch fire? Do you remember when airlines were asking people who had them to get off of planes or to throw their phones away? yeah Samsung would have saved a ton of cash if that model had had a removable battery.

For those of you who understand modern politics the other nice thing about removable battery is that if you want to be sure your phone is absolutely turned off you can do that by removing the battery. And if you think that sounds paranoid remember senator Rand Paul had to filibuster for almost 15 hours on the floor of the Senate just to get the government to agree not to use drone strikes on American citizens on American soil. And remember all of that is done with phone tracking.

Another great benefit to removal batteries is you can have as many batteries as you want and charge them all up and hot swap them to get 100% fresh charge. That is way nicer and more convenient than carrying around these bulky USB powerbanks.

Another major benefit to removable batteries is that all phones whether Apple or Android or symbian have buggy software and when the software crashes it can be difficult to turn the phone off or reset the phone. For a lot of phones that have internal batteries that can't be removed the manufacturers will give you a sequence of hard key presses on the external hard buttons to push that will supposedly reset the phone but those are software based which means that if the software is crashed badly enough it will not reset the phone and you're going to have to wait 10 12 maybe 24 or 48 hours for the battery to naturally slowly discharge before you can reset the phone. With the removable battery you can immediately remove the battery and reset the phone if the software ever crashes or hangs.

So I looked around and I found two phones that looked amazing. One was the FairPhone 4, the other was the Samsung Xcover6 Pro.

Both of them have amazing high-end components. I almost got the FairPhone because you can get it with 8 gigs of RAM. However the processor on the Samsung was significantly better and had better long-term benchmarking performance stats. Also the Xcover6 Pro is considered a tough phone and is one of the first tough phones with flagship level components inside which is fascinating and amazing. It's rated for construction sites or rugged outdoor environments and has heavy drop and water protection despite having a removable battery. It also has a lot of nice features good external hard buttons all around for different functions including potential push to talk if you like that but also an external headphone jack fast charge power pin connectors regular USB connector and several other buttons that are customizable.

The screen is not an OLED which is actually great and improved because the OLED screens have bleed through issues this phone doesn't have that problem. Performance is very snappy and the battery that it comes with is 4000 mAh which is pretty awesome and if you get multiples of those you will have a ton of power for weeks. The phone and its default configuration with the default case that it comes with and the default screen glass is rated for pretty severe drops and damage proofing but you can also buy aftermarket stuff for it.

Best of all you can use it with the third party budget carriers that use the main carriers including spirit, mint, visible, etc. We're getting $30 per month on it with unlimited everything and not throttled at all for any data cap. It has both regular physical SIM card capability as well as virtual esim capability. The cameras on it are not the absolute top notch but 50 megapixel is pretty awesome and the video quality and stock software is not bad for being a tough phone.

If you're picky like me and you're looking for a rugged phone with high performance specs and a removable battery that will last you a long time I recommend this thing just came out and at $600 dollars for coming out this year that's pretty good. The FairPhone was also about $600.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Last edited by Alpine on Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did I end up on one of those recipe websites that need me to scroll 10x before I get to see the list of ingredients?

Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:42 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

TL:DR but I get the gist of it. The Samsung Active line was one of the best built android phones ever made. I think it was the S5 active that finally went to a non replaceable battery, but still rock solid. I still have an old S6 active that I have mounted to my Oculus when they were doing a joint promo.

Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:03 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ya I was a bit nervous to get a Samsung, I haven't had one since my old galaxy note 4 which was one of their last higher end models with a removable battery. Then after the note 7 exploding internal battery debacle I switched to LG. The LGV20 was almost perfect, but also LG stopped making good phones.

I'll update this review as I break the Xcover6Pro in more.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just got done looking at the XCover6 Pro you posted and noticed they have another older model, the XCoverPro.
The 6 is brand spanking new and like you said, $600.

The Pro can still be found new or on places like Back Market for around $200.

Differences:

XCover6 - 5G, wifi 6, $600

XCoverPro - LTE, plain wi fi, ~$200

One other thing. Size... 6.3 inches for the Pro and 6.6 inches for the 6Pro (I like the smaller, more carry-able size)

Do I need 5G and/or WIFI6? I don't think so. I don't use my phone for a business, just personal use.

Comments?

Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Forgot to ask one thing.
So the batteries are replaceable but don't they have to be in the phone in order to be charged?
Is there an external charger for the batteries?

EDIT
Never mind... found it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/354293335239?hash=item527d8744c7%3Ag%3AzpoAAOSwNjlecbWY&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAwM7MAQFl6hh7bc5zdIEvo6awR5Gn561Gz8PYQBA7SIich3HZPOm1preQLCNMsaCnRfJGz0Q4p7d7Zau81DLXMAonQLcMCW8kzUn3Q%2BfOVPxKh5kQN5afM%2FBlPEa5FsNSaWoO1%2BBebUBQzR3XBbSf9NzKMa%2BxigUJeRcTfIu%2FwcmUnIrQudBtaa%2Fcrx%2BezxFGmwivg%2B7MRX1xZUFQQL71nAjpjiyZcjaJ2c4BpySWKd6Gh7iQHODm0N2BC061dK%2F8fQ%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR9S77fyQYQ&LH_BIN=1

Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw the earlier xcover version, almost got it but then I saw a bunch of reviews that showed the processor was awful. I've had phones with bad CPUs and it sucks, everything is worse on them.

I agree price is high because it just came out but price may drop over the next year, keep an eye on it.

Quote:

Quote:

Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]