Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 SS MR920 Elite, 507Kx2, Griffin Armament Micro Carry Comp 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shadow Systems MR920 Elite:

For those who don't know, Shadow Systems (SS) started out as an aftermarket Glock parts manufacturer. Seems they are mostly known for their slides. The SS MR920 Elite is built on a frame that is of their own design, yet still readily uses Glock parts. Triggers, mag releases, actual mags, and other parts are usable in the SS frame. The slide on this pistol comes with an optic cut that is compatable with a good amount of red dot optics. To do this, they did modify some of the slide internals to allow room for mounting screws to go deeper into the slide for strength. The optic cutout is nice and low, and doesn't require plates or adaptors to change between having a Holosun, Deltapoint, Trijicon, or other optics (no pic mount, though, just the screw down ones). The backstrap options I like, and in my opinion are better than the style found on the 4th gen Glocks (which is why I bought a 3rd gen G19, I didn't like the Glock backstraps on the 4th gen). Also, it fits in my 3rd gen G19 holster just fine, which saved me from having to buy yet another holster.

I have to say, I am impressed so far with the few hundred rounds I have put through this pistol, after I learned what kind of ammo it liked. It shoots super flat, which I was not expecting (and later read that was one of their selling points, apparently). I started with some cheaper bulk ammo that I had no issues with in my G19. The rounds in question were factory reloads. Out of the first 150 rounds, I had 12 that prevented the pistol to come to full battery. A bit of a "doi" moment, and I remembered that the MR920 had a match grade barrel, as opposed to my G19, and it would have tighter tolerances. I pulled out some cheap Wolf steel case ammo that I had in my case and ran through the next 50 rounds flawlessly (although a bit dirty). This is definately not an SHTF pistol with it not liking reloads. I suppose the barrel could be swapped in that situation, though. I love every other feature about it, especially the optic cut, which is deep enough that I can cowitness the factory iron sights through my Holosun 507Kv2 red dot, which leads me to the next part.

Holosun 507Kx2:

I picked up this red dot specifically to put on my MR920. I had seen other red dots installed on the same pistol, but many appeared to be wider than the pistol itself, and I intended to carry mine as an EDC.

I wanted to make sure that I would not have to remove it and resight it to change the battery, so the side loading battery compartment was ideal. The Shake Awake feature was also a necessity, as I didn't want to forget to turn it on in the mornings before heading out for the day, or heaven forbid someone coming in my home during the night.

So far (a handful of weeks), I have had no issues. It was easy enough to sight in (on the MR920, use the MR920 optic screws, they are a different thread than the Holosun ones!) And stayed true to aim once it was set through a couple hundred rounds. Time will tell how the battery life fairs (alleged 50k hours, I believe).

Griffin Armament Micro Carry Comp:

Ordered this after putting my first box of ammo through my MR920. Was it necessary? Absolutely not. Did it change anything? A bit.

Now, this is not a full size compensstor, so I never expected it to work like one. However, I was honestly surprised at how well it did work. I don't have any scientific numbers, but I absolutely felt that I was back on target faster with less muzzle climb than when shooting without it.

It's not much larger than the thread protector that came with my pistol, and it wasn't very expensive, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Just keep in mind that after quite a few shots, it gets warm. It gets toasty, even. If you appendix carry, let it cool off if you do a mag dump or two before reholstering. Don't want to burn the boys!

Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]