Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:01 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Kabar knives EsKabar 

So I use what I call a satchel, others would call it a man purse. I’m old, I don’t care anymore. But some of the things I have in it are things I tend to want on my person without having to figure out if I need to wear something with pockets, or not. Or something that can hide a medium sized auto loader without the Karens screaming that I’m a baby killer. In it besides said gun, is a leatherman scissors, a magnesium fire starter, a extra mag, a 300 lumen flashlight, plus keys. What was lacking, for me at least, was a blade. I have folding knives. I got plenty of them, rarely leave the house without one. Nothing wrong with folding knives, if you know what they are good for. Folding knives are good for cutting , they are a compromise. Somewhere along the way civilized man decided we shouldn’t carry swords or daggers anymore because, they tell us we have grown beyond the need for violence to settle our differences. I await with abated breath to see that day, but until we see utopia I’d like to have something that won’t fold down on my fingers when I need to dig stuff out of a tree, or need to work some thumbstud in the dark if I should stumble down the wrong alley on First Ave. sheath knives beat switchblades friend, don’t let them greasers tell you otherwise.
Enter Kabar, now I have an 80’s era Kabar I bought at the midway Swapmeet when I was a young 10 year old and the vendors there didn’t care about kids buying bayonets or combat knives (man I miss those days) for a whopping 40 bucks. It has been to many deer camps, many an outing in the woods. But having a 7 inch blade on my murse would stick out too much, Karens would lose their shit, probably get the stink eye from a mall cop or two. So I wanted something a little smaller that I could clip on and off depending the situation. I decided I would get the EsKabar from Kabar knives because it was a three inched blade of US steel, had a handle I could hold onto and was 40 bucks just like my old Kabar. The EsKabar was a product born of two ideas: Ethan Becker’s necker knife, and Esee’s skeleton handle. Esees knives are nice but they want Gucci prices for carbon steel. Becker’s knives are tough but they always end up being like an early 80’s Crown Vic, bulky and nowhere to park it. I didn’t want to pay 60 bucks for a 3 inch knife without scales so I splurged and got the the kabar and bought two different sets of color scales to use as a better handle and a clip to attach the knife to my man bag and still had enough left over for a latte with what I could get if I went with that pretentious ESEE. And I do like it. The one thing I don’t like is that I had to touch up the edge a little, but I expected that. How the ability to put a good edge on a knife stops at the Mississippi River I don’t know, but I have bought knives from Ontario and Kabar and I swear their edge grinder was missing a stone. But besides that little detail the knife is a good buy. Carbon steel has a tendency to rust a little but its got the new Kabar coating on it to prevent that. The old coating is still working on my old Kabar, where it wasn't scratched off by decades of use, but I imagine that stuff hurt some endangered squirrel somewhere so they had to make a different batch to keep the leaf eaters happy. No matter this knife I intend to drive until its wheels fall off as the sayin goes so I could give a a fig about looks its going to ride on my bag till I or it gives out. So why did I go through all the trouble to get this when I have a folder? There are some circles of thought that gives rise to the theory of a BUG, Back up Gun. While I agree that one is none and two is one I don't have the boyish physique anymore to roll out with dual glocks Akimbo on my person. Besides If I am having a really bad day I will need more that two pistols and I'd rather just meander over back to my horse to grab something that will settle my arguments with far less efforts than the extra 2lbs I have to carry on my body. But I have seen a lot of first responders carry tiny little sheath knives on them. I guess they know something I don't, or pretend too at least so I figured, hey it weighs less than an empty mag and doesn't run out of ammo, and Alton Brown had this thing about Unitaskers, which preatty much sums up a pistol, but a knife, that multitasks: you can cut, bludgeon, sort of pry depending on the knife, start fires prep a fuzz stick, batton wood, you get my drift. So I have taken the concept of BUG to BUB, or back up blade. No this probably won't save you from a polar bear attack, but you probably can use it to work your way out of situation more comfortably than if you didn't have one. In any case It's a good buy and you can get the accessories you want with it to make it better suited to your needs. Plus Made in the USA, which you cant argue with that can you?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m pretty sure it is illegal to carry a fixed blade knife in your murse, as that is,”furtive carry with intent to conceal”.

However, you can open carry it, except for in Seattle, I believe.

Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:40 pm

I picked it because the blades exactly 3 inches. However I think the cops in Shiattle would just shoot me anyway since I am sort of Tan and dress like a HOBO. According to law you can carry on your person anything under 3 inches if it's not a switch blade or the dreaded butterfly knife. Any length of those are Illegal and according to your tax bracket will land you some real time. Preatty much 3 inches on a blade is the national standard for knives on person Unless you are California and New York and a 3 inch blade is legal in certain nations which is why that ESEE knife is so damn popular with those adventure tourists. The other reason I picked this knife is that is would clip on and off with ease, so depending on the social situation I can choose to take it off before the Karens get upset. Of course they might take offense to my Hadji don't surf patch and I'm your huckleberry name tag on my Bag but my tolerance for the Karens only goes so far.

Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]