Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

If a deal has an expiration date, please include that in your thread title!

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Taurus Raging Bull Hardwood Combat Grip 

I bought this Taurus Raging Bull chambered in .44 Rem Mag about a year ago. It is a great gun. A beast at allmost 4 lb. People can bad mouth Taurus all they want but this thing is accurate as heck and built to last a lifetime. The only complaint I had was the awkward feel of the factory grip. I found this website on the net has these hardwood grips cut for the raging/judge series Taurus for $89.00 I searched for a long time before I found this grip so I know there will be other Taurus owners out there happy to find this very comfortable grip that blows the factory grips away. http://www.mwgrips.com/home.html

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with your judgement of this pistol
I’ve had mine for 10+ yrs
Love it
Accurate beyond belief
I’m using Hogue rubbers currently
But the woodies may be in my near future

Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:10 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Those are some nice-looking grips, Brian. thumbsup

Have you fired the gun with them? How did they feel under recoil?

I ask because I bought some similarly-pretty and similarly-priced grips for my S&W 629 to replace the old, nasty rubber grips that were on there when I bought it. I was really happy with them, except that under recoil they really rubbed my hands just wrong, and HURT. I recently switched to Pachmayr Decelerator rubber grips that kind of look like shit, but I *think* they're going to make my hands feel a whole lot better (haven't shot with them yet).

I've heard experienced wheelgunners say that the best grips for heavy recoil are quality wood grips, er "stocks." I believe, them, but I have a feeling that the super-nice grips must be contoured just right, compared to the cheap-but-pretty grips that I bought for my 629.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:18 am

I have tried them with some 240 gr jhp rounds. At first they were rubbing my right middle finger on a sharper than needed corner so I just took some emery cloth and custom fit the grip to my hand, then I sprayed it with three or four coats of clear, Now they just feel natural. I know how hard it is to find good grips. My hands are a size 11 so they are not small but they aren't as big as a lot of people either. This place was the only guy I could find with affordable wood grips for the Taurus. The other guys were like $300.00 plus I'm not sure if the wood is the best for heavy recoil. I have a S&W .460 xvr, it makes the .44 feel like childs play, I don't think I would put wood on it. Everbody has something that works for them, and might not work for somebody else.

Last edited by muley on Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just like mens clothing.

If you're going to the ball, dress in a suit (wood grips). But don't expect comfort.

If you're going on a hike, but on shorts and boots (rubber decelerator grips). Not as pretty but much more practical.

Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:33 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

muley wrote:
At first they were rubbing my right middle finger on a sharper than needed corner so I just took some emery cloth and custom fit the grip to my hand, then I sprayed it with three or four coats of clear, Now they just feel natural.

Nicely done. :thumbsup2:

[Mod note: No, PMB, this doesn't mean that you can move this thread to the DIY section.]

muley wrote:
I have a S&W .460 xvr, it makes the .44 feel like childs play, I don't think I would put wood on it.

I have an S&W 500, and the stock rubber grips on that gun are AWESOME. I have zero desire to change them; in fact, I tried (and failed) find the same grip for my 629, which is why I compromised on the Pachmayr grip.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]