Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:42 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

If a deal has an expiration date, please include that in your thread title!

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Amphibious Vehicles auction 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
Anyway, I hope you find some cool stuff, and get some great deals :thumbsup2:

I got what I wanted. A brand new crate engine. BBC 454 rectangle port, aluminum intake performance engine still wrapped in the saran wrap with the warranty papers inside.

All the other BBC engines there were tall deck 427 commercial truck engines. Then wrapped up tight was a hugger orange high performance monster hiding on a crate all wrapped in saran wrap. I dunno why it was there, but I spotted it.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
delliottg wrote:

I took care of a couple of Mike-8 boats that were lighterage on a USNS ship for a while. Knew nothing about them. Just figuring out how to start the engines was a challenge. The batteries were dry, needed the acid added and to be charged, so we had to start them with air. I think there were six air cylinders you had to pump up by hand, which took forever. The skipper refused to let us start them because he didn't want the exhaust all over his decks, so we had to figure out how to get both inlet water to cool the engines and exhaust elephant trunks run over the side. Everything was cobbled together, but it worked, and they eventually kitted out the rest of the MPS ships with the stuff we "invented". We only got to run them once, in a little port in France, but that was fun even if was marines running them, they still let us drive for a while.

I always thought you could make a decent living in AK with a Mike-8, but you'd probably be better off with a smaller ramped boat. I wonder if you could keep busy enough to feed two Allison V-12 engines which have a terrible thirst for diesel.

Can always get a Mike 6 or LCVP. Either could carry a car.
In Friday Harbor at the marina, they used to have a LCVP they used as a garbage scow.
Loaded it up with trash, took it 4+ miles out, and dumped it somewhere.
That's frowned upon these days.
In the early 80's we used to dump oil once we got 20 miles out.
Some officer forgot to give the order when we were going back to 32nd Street, so they pumped it out about 3 miles from San Diego.
Fishing boat radioed the Coast Guard and reported it. Hahaha
Someone got a big ass chewing.

Same time frame on the east coast (Norfolk) we used to pump bilges at the 12 mile limit both going out and coming in. Same with CHT (you did NOT want to be on the starboard stern when that valve was opened). We also made water at the pier in Karachi, Pakistan, and we saw basically any animal you could think of except two legged float by in the sewage. We had no choice, the Pakistanis couldn't deliver enough water to keep our boilers running, and we couldn't shut down because there was no shore power. We had guys on restriction (weren't allowed off the ship) come down with amoebic dysentery until doc & the CHENG got the water chemistry right to kill everything. I didn't drink any water from the ship for a while, didn't want to be running to the head every ten minutes like one of the poor bastards in our berthing compartment had to. We could smell Karachi from 40 miles out.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:42 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
NWGunner wrote:
Anyway, I hope you find some cool stuff, and get some great deals :thumbsup2:

I got what I wanted. A brand new crate engine. BBC 454 rectangle port, aluminum intake performance engine still wrapped in the saran wrap with the warranty papers inside.

All the other BBC engines there were tall deck 427 commercial truck engines. Then wrapped up tight was a hugger orange high performance monster hiding on a crate all wrapped in saran wrap. I dunno why it was there, but I spotted it.

Nice! :bow:

Glad you found a gem! :thumbsup2:

Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Score!

Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:45 pm

I have not ridden in the Seattle Ducks but did ride one in the Charles River in Boston back in 2010. Not very fast and was on a calm day in late September.

Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2