Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Are YOUTH firearm clubs dead in Thurston county? NOT ANYMORE 
Site Admin
Site Admin

amlee16v wrote:
As dreadi said............"BE THE SPARK"....

Good for you, Mike. :thumbsup2:

See you on Sunday!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fantastic !

Way to go, Mike.

Like football, music, etc., you'll probably have more influence & life lessons than you think.

Awesome!

And your trepidation is exactly why you're the right guy :thumbsup2:

Looking forward to updates, if you so choose...

Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:30 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Here's the CMP affliliated club I was telling mash_man about. When I was receiving their newsletter, they regularly had youth competitions featured within. https://wsrpa.org/

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:07 pm
Profile WWW

dreadi wrote:
Be the spark.

Well, dreadi.........the spark FINALLY turned into a flame. It's starting to burn and turn into a fire!!! It only took a year to start, but we have a Thurston County
4-H youth shooting sports group. 3 other brave parents and I have pushed trough to get the training and are starting the group.

We now have the Thurston County 4-H "Capital City Shooting Sports". Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/7035741 ... =bookmarks

Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about for those of us that refuse to book-face?

Well, when I looked around all I saw was a pimp with a shiny pair of shoes and a '49 Mercury!

Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:09 pm

Rottenryan wrote:
How about for those of us that refuse to book-face?

That's a great question. I will talk to the other leaders tomorrow at our 1st planning meeting, see if we should list one of our phone numbers or make up a flyer to put out with dates, times and locations and post something on WaGuns. Probably start a new post for it.

Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
Teaching responsibility, as well as insurance & upkeep, costs money.

Everybody expects everything to be free, unless it's your job & you understand the costs.

Exactly!!!
Whatever happened to the parents responsibility to teach their kids gun safety and marksmanship?
Both my kids were introduced to FA’s at age 5, took them shooting every time I had a chance to (monthly in the summer).

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

amlee16v wrote:
dreadi wrote:
Be the spark.

Well, dreadi.........the spark FINALLY turned into a flame. It's starting to burn and turn into a fire!!! It only took a year to start, but we have a Thurston County
4-H youth shooting sports group. 3 other brave parents and I have pushed trough to get the training and are starting the group.

We now have the Thurston County 4-H "Capital City Shooting Sports". Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/7035741 ... =bookmarks

Congratulations!!! :thumbsup2:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, if traveling to Eatonville is something you'd consider, the most active 4H shooting group is located there at the Upper Nisqually Sportman's Club. They usually hold the 4H state championships at the facility and send kids to the 4H national comp. They do a bunch of different types of shooting including air rifle, 22 rifle, 22 handgun (for older kids), shotgun (trap, skeet, and sporting clays), and archery. I have had kids in shotgun and archery, and helped organize the state comp a while back. Since we moved further north last year we didn't participate this year, but may consider getting back into it.
Registration for the upcoming year is this week, so if you're interested I'd reach out to them right away:

https://www.facebook.com/4HShootingSportsUNSC/?ti=as

4hshootingsportsunsc@gmail.com

Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well darn it, I somehow missed your post about starting your own group, so I wish you the best of luck with the new club. The leaders at the Upper Nisqually club would likely be willing to help with ideas for how to get things rolling, and growing.

Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:41 pm

I would have joined upper nisqually, but it is prohibitively far. Our Thurston county area is apparently severely under served and just by word of mouth it looks like we have approximately 24 kids interested.....

Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:50 pm

I'm really excited to see this.. Not sure how I can contribute, but would love to help.
Don't facebook, so however myself/interested others can be kept current is great.
My sons did FFA, 4H. Was good. We need more of this kind of activity for our youth.
Jeff

Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:19 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

There is a Tumwater High School Rifle team. We donated $2100 to their program this year.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:49 pm
Profile WWW

BadKarma wrote:
There is a Tumwater High School Rifle team. We donated $2100 to their program this year.

My kids are in AG Black Hills district, they compete against Tumwater. My goal is to mimic the high school and have the kids feed into that and above......the youngest can be 8.
BUT!!!......we are limiting our club to 16 to keep a handle on the growing pains of starting a new club and getting a feel for, basically strangers bringing unknown kids to shoot.

That's awesome you donated that much to them. We've decided to be a BYOG this year and look into to grants, donations and fundraising for "Club" rifles and gear for next year. CMP has a great deal on savage MKI-FVT with williams rear peep. I'll probably buy 2 next month, 1 right, 1 left...to loan out.

I can't believe how much Annie 1903's cost, for looking kinda basic....

Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:56 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

amlee16v wrote:
BadKarma wrote:

My kids are in AG Black Hills district, they compete against Tumwater. My goal is to mimic the high school and have the kids feed into that and above......the youngest can be 8.
BUT!!!......we are limiting our club to 16 to keep a handle on the growing pains of starting a new club and getting a feel for, basically strangers bringing unknown kids to shoot.

That's awesome you donated that much to them. We've decided to be a BYOG this year and look into to grants, donations and fundraising for "Club" rifles and gear for next year. CMP has a great deal on savage MKI-FVT with williams rear peep. I'll probably buy 2 next month, 1 right, 1 left...to loan out.

I can't believe how much Annie 1903's cost, for looking kinda basic....

Grant writing to NRA, NSSF and Cabels are a must.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2