Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:03 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Recommendations for EDC pocket light 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is a good price on one that was actually all the rage a few years back, but lumen-whores want more, so it's yesterday's thrill.

It's a good light, tail-click, but has a magnetic ring near the head that twists to change, & goes from 0 lumens to 500...

When it came out, it was an $85 light...$29 is a steal...

https://www.batteryjunction.com/sunwaym ... utral.html

And, depending on how seriously into it you want to get, check out:

http://budgetlightforum.com/

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/

If you join BLF, sometimes manufacturers pop on & offer discounts if you PM them...

Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Honestly, for just under $100 (with a 20% discount for your first order or for Black Friday if you're an e-mail subscriber) I think the Malkoff MDC is probably the best value going. It's an aluminum single CR123 light, potted for crazy-ass durability, and made in the US -- in Alabama, to be specific, by a guy named Gene and his wife Cathy. It has 3 levels and you can choose either the version that starts on low (3/25/250) or the one that starts on high (250/25/3). Good runtimes on the lower levels but still decent brightness when you need it. The reflector -- which gives a really good combination of throw and flood -- and the tail clicky are both designed by flashlight legend Don McLeish so you get some serious value for not too much money. The warranty is unquestionably good and couldn't be easier: You send the light back to Gene and he makes everything right. No fuss, no drama. He once told me, "It's my name on the side of the light. I want it to work." Malkoff MDC -- https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/collections/malkoff-small-led-flashlights/products/mdc-ha-1cr123-flashlight

At around $40, I'd look at the Olight M1T Warrior. I've only manhandled a couple of Olights but the quality was very good and they've established a reputation of durability among people who really need their flashlights to work. I can't think of another tail clicky CR123 light in that price range that I would seriously consider but I may just be having a blonde moment, so hopefully others will chime in with their thoughts. Olight M1T Warrior -- https://olightworld.com/led-flashlights/all-flashlights/olight-m1t-raider

The Eagle Tac D25C has enjoyed a good reputation for years. My only experience with EagTac was not good but it was only one light (and not the D25C), so it would probably be better for others who have more experience with it to offer their opinions. There is a guy here locally who makes hot rod lights with a programmable driver and his modified D25C was very, very popular. In fact, it continues to be popular on the secondary market.

I don't personally prefer 2-cell lights so I don't have much to recommend there. Unless you want to look at Zebralights, which offer 1000+ lumens and some of the best runtimes in the business, and are just a hair bigger than most other manufacturers' 1-cell lights. But they use a side button and only run on 18650 rechargeables (except the SC32, which runs a single CR123 and is a very good, super tiny light if you need something discreet). Zebralights have a supremely flexible UI and excellent reliability.

For the Foursevens fans, some additional lights will probably make a comeback. There have been teasers on the Foursevens IG account -- https://www.instagram.com/foursevens/ -- but I don't think I've seen anything about the Maelstrom yet.

Disclaimer: I no longer own a Malkoff but would happily carry one and I know it would work every time. I do have several Zebralights, never experienced a problem with any of them. I don't have the M1T Warrior but I do have 2 different models from Olight, both have also been trouble free. Neither the Zebralights nor the Olights fill the role of "primary" light for me, but only because I have some very specific personal preferences. Both brands have a lot of loyal fans.

Now if you want to increase your budget, we can talk about that, too. :wink05:

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go with a rechargeable battery. I love them. Next go with common AA batteries. Cheap and widely available. Avoid the CR123 types or other odd batteries. All my CR123 battery lights never last long and the batteries are expensive.

I recently got two $30 each Legacy Blackhawks that use the CR123. Great light, but the batteries died fast.

I also recently got a few of the $25 Atact/wowtac lights with rechargeable batteries. A few YT reviewers did abuse testing and these were very impressive. https://www.illumn.com/atactical-a1-550 ... -port.html

Both the lights are about the same quality and durability to me, but the rechargeable wins.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
Go with a rechargeable battery. I love them. Next go with common AA batteries. Cheap and widely available. Avoid the CR123 types or other odd batteries. All my CR123 battery lights never last long and the batteries are expensive.

I recently got two $30 each Legacy Blackhawks that use the CR123. Great light, but the batteries died fast.

I also recently got a few of the $25 Atact/wowtac lights with rechargeable batteries. A few YT reviewers did abuse testing and these were very impressive. https://www.illumn.com/atactical-a1-550 ... -port.html

Both the lights are about the same quality and durability to me, but the rechargeable wins.

You can get CR123's for $1 -$1.45 ea. from Battery Junction.

You can also get RCR123's, which are rechargeable.

You have to know what to buy.

Stay away from Ultralast...

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rutilate wrote:
oldkim wrote:
If there are any inclination for disaster preparedness...
Common battery or a stockpile is needed.
Loss of power or alternate power source is needed to replenish any rechargeable. It’s not a big factor but it also can play in the mid to low light level usage for duration.
Back on topic:
I still carry my WaGuns EagleTac D25C

That's a really good point. I'm in the process of converting over to camp stoves that generate USB power for that eventuality, but not quite there yet.
And Ape Caves was awesome when the lights go out! We had a couple of headlamps that just barely made it down and back.

I'm not too crazy about the USB stoves. Something that does two things not very well. Go with Goal Zero for power.
You can get both the CR123, CR 2, and 18650's rechargeable. I have one charger that does both 2's, and 123's.

Last edited by golddigger14s on Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to only use lights with common batteries but now prefer the 18650 battery lights, https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/wiki/18650 they last forever on a single charge and are way brighter than any that take normal aa, aaa batteries, plus they are rechargeable. Right now I carry an olight S2 baton and it is a phenomenal light for $60. 1000 lumen, magnetic tail cap, multiple brightness modes and an easy ui, very durable. On the lowest mode the light will run for 60 days straight. If you want something smaller the olight s1 baton mini is good too, 600 lumen and its tiny only about 2in long, comes with a rechargeable cr123 that has a usb port to charge it up.
The reddit flashlight forum has some great ones and charts to compare and contrast different ones. I would highly recommend an 18650 light.
https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/wiki/index
https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/comments/8svtjz/arbitrary_list_of_popular_lights_summer_solstice/

Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I actually suggest a tiered approach...

A small flashlight that you can use for oddball stuff that's ALWAYS there, so for me, that means a keychain flashlight..for others it's a penlight...

Then a brighter, more powerful beam for more advanced use.

I personally have standardized on 18650 batteries, however rechargeable RCR123s are an option as well....

My keychain flashlight is a Lumintop Tool.... which is a single AAA clicky with a clip that you can use to mount to your hat, and is brighter than a maglite (~130 Lumens, IIRC).. I use it A LOT, more than any other flashlight, and replace the battery every 2 months or so.... There is a New Version here... But I haven't felt the need to upgrade....

There is also the Fenix UC01 which has rave reviews, and is USB rechargeable...But only puts out a max 45 Lumens....

Both of those are small enough to carry on a keychain, and bright enough for 95% of what most people want out of a flashlight.

For my full size EDC, I chose an 18650 based light, the Thorfire vg15s V2, which uses an XML-2 emitter. There are brighter emitters but you sacrifice runtime. The one thing I love and have in my flashlights is a 'firefly' or 'moonlight' mode, usually are .5-1 lumen.... Just enough to read a map or take a note...without ruining night vision or giving away your position...

Running common (alkaline AA/AAA) batteries has good/bad.

Non-rechargeable batteries have a shelf life.... 5 years after SHTF, good luck finding a AA or AAA that still works, even if it's 'brand new'..

Rechargeables work well, and can last a long time.... and can be recharged via solar, hand crank, etc.

By standardizing your carry, Ie AA/AAA, 18650, RCR123, etc, you only need one GOOD charger, and the small stuff to recharge on the go if needed...

A good charger like the Nitecore i2, which I have, just an older version of, will charge most popular rechargeables, and can be powered by 12V for car use, and you can even find USB powered chargers to charge virtually anywhere.

My EDC VG15s, I recharge the battery every couple months, with almost daily use. The 18650 battery holds quite a bit more juice than a AA or RCR123...

I would suggest training yourself to use the lowest setting required.... Using it on high/turbo when medium or low will do, will kill your battery real quick.... I went from weekly charging to every other month charging...

FYI. The VG15s has a low battery warning...So, no surprise dead batteries.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I carry a Fenix PD35 Tac with the 123 batts. I like it so much I now own 3 (one for the wife's car, one for EDC, and one for the AR)
1000 lums.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:01 am

I carry and recommend a Fenix LD22. 2AA batteries. Tail switch with momentary capability. Multiple brightness settings controlled by a second switch, including firefly, which is great in dark settings like the movies. Affordable. Aluminum. I carry mine in a custom mag pouch along with 2 single stack mags so I can't speak to pocket carry. I also use rechargeable AA batteries so battery life is inconsequential.

I think anything from Fenix would be a good choice.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:28 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I also still carry the WaGuns clicky. My only problems are accidentally turning it on in my pocket, and finding cheap batteries. The flip side on it being on in my pocket.. I now know it could start a fire if i really needed it...

Oh, and apparently i need to look into some rechargeable batteries for it...

Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:15 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You know there is no end to this thread... icon_eek

Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:27 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

AR15L wrote:

I'm drowning.... :-)

Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:45 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Olight H1R is my EDC. 2, 15, 60, 180, and 600 Lumen settings. 1.8oz, uses both CR123a (rechargeable) and CR123. Comes with magnetic usb charger and headband. Love that it is a 90deg bend, magentic base and its 20% larger than a AA battery.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:

There is no end to this gif either. :bigsmile:

Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Olight is good

Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next