Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Dad suffocates baby, tries to revive with AC power cord 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

It worked on the dog in 'Something about Mary'
http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2018 ... s-death-1/

A 19-year-old man is scheduled to go before a Crawford County circuit judge today, charged with smothering his infant daughter then trying to revive her by shocking her with a live extension cord.

Tyler Buchanan was charged Monday with capital murder in the June 12 death of his 2-month-old baby whom he was trying to stop from screaming so he could sleep, according to court documents.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Freakin’ sad

Being a parent is hard. It’s well known that women can go through postpartum depression. But it’s not as widely known that men can go through a form of it too. Gotta recognize when you’re at your breaking point and ask for help. There’s no shame in that. And if you don’t, the consequences can be terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So he could sleep? Sleep is not a thing when you have a two month old baby. Fucker.

As for trying to write this off as some sort of act stemming from a male equivalent of postpartum depression...yah, no. Postpartum (and antepartum) depression is triggered by several factors, the key one being the massive hormonal shifts that occur during and after pregnancy. Show me a peer-reviewed study--go ahead and Google that term--that substantiates your premise that men can suffer postpartum depression, and maybe I'll buy what it is that you're selling.

Side note: Postpartum depression is a thing. Been there, done that. In only a tiny fraction of cases do the sufferers actually cause harm to their children. Most of the time it manifests itself in less newsworthy ways, like self-neglect, an inability to do any kind of activities of daily living beyond caring for the child(ren), and a constant sense of not being good enough to be a mother. So yah, this guy isn't suffering from anything but a severe case of Sonofafuckingbitch.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postpartum Depression is a real thing in men, too.

Feel free to google it, glockgirl, but I don't care enough to hunt down a study that meets your standards.

That's all edogg was saying, and I've dealt with it in support groups at Harborview, so, I'll take my direct experience, thanks.

I really don't care what you believe, but I do care when you misrepresent the possibility of it in an online forum, and could inhibit someone from seeking the help they need.

As far as it being an excuse in this case, I agree that that is bullshit.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:41 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Should be shown the Collector Distributor lane via the grille of a dumptruck....

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

glockgirl wrote:
So he could sleep? Sleep is not a thing when you have a two month old baby. Fucker.

As for trying to write this off as some sort of act stemming from a male equivalent of postpartum depression...yah, no. Postpartum (and antepartum) depression is triggered by several factors, the key one being the massive hormonal shifts that occur during and after pregnancy. Show me a peer-reviewed study--go ahead and Google that term--that substantiates your premise that men can suffer postpartum depression, and maybe I'll buy what it is that you're selling.

Side note: Postpartum depression is a thing. Been there, done that. In only a tiny fraction of cases do the sufferers actually cause harm to their children. Most of the time it manifests itself in less newsworthy ways, like self-neglect, an inability to do any kind of activities of daily living beyond caring for the child(ren), and a constant sense of not being good enough to be a mother. So yah, this guy isn't suffering from anything but a severe case of Sonofafuckingbitch.

Literally the 2nd result on Bing:

https://www.webmd.com/baby/features/men ... depression

And a few more down from there:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2922346/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My apologies. Thank you for the NIH link. It appears from the article that although paternal PPD has different risk factors and causative mechanisms, it is still a thing. Again, my apologies. The graphic is very informative.

Attachment:
PE_4_2_36_g001.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

edogg wrote:
Freakin’ sad

Gotta recognize when you’re at your breaking point and ask for help.

Often times, men seeking help ends in "suck it up cupcake" remarks and derisive sneers. The stigma is strong.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
edogg wrote:
Freakin’ sad

Gotta recognize when you’re at your breaking point and ask for help.

Often times, men seeking help ends in "suck it up cupcake" remarks and derisive sneers. The stigma is strong.

No shit. Now suck it up and move on.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]