Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:45 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Armed Security Guards at Schools? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
What makes your emotional opinions as a parent better than our logical ones?

An excellent point you raise.

From about 5:55 to 9:56 Ben addresses specifically this.

The rest is good too, watch after the 10 minute mark to see Ben point-by-point absolutely destroy Bret Stephens argument for repeal of 2A in his column last year.

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:51 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

glockgirl wrote:
dreadi wrote:
Why is it so difficult for some people to understand that by not allowing people to arm themselves, their ability to protect and defend themselves and anyone they are charged with overseeing their safety, is compromised.

I don't have a problem with allowing teachers to carry.
I'm glad to hear that. I hope you'll share that with your school district and get some traction going in that direction.

glockgirl wrote:
All it would do would be to make staff more of a target for school shooters than they are already.
That is conjecture.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:07 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Schools have a duty of care. If the teachers won't protect the children, and I really don't see a problem with doing that, then they need to hire people to do so.

We don't need a coordinated political campaign to remedy this, the parents should sue the school for being negligent in their duty of care. No, they are not responsible for shooting the kids. But they are responsible for their plan of action to be "wait for the police to arrive" meanwhile dozens get shot.

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

glockgirl wrote:
GeekWithGuns wrote:
Israel has had ongoing problems with internal security and terrorism. Anyone know how they have approached this problem?

And? Israel has mandatory military service, so it's not really a fair comparison.

I don't want some guy who can't make the cut for a real LEO agency "guarding" my children. I don't want teachers armed, either--maybe administrators, maybe, but with regards to the most recent shooting, would the "one good guy with a gun" solution really have worked? With the halls flooded with students and staff, fire alarm pulled, etc. could anyone not heavily trained and equally armed sight in and successfully target the shooter without incidental injury?

Which brings me back to the "Where the fuck was the SRO" question, for which no one seems to have an answer.

You might not have children, GWG. I do. I have literal skin in the game. Even so, I don't think that arming teachers and staff is the right answer.

The real answer is the democratic one right ? Ban all guns

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The inability of anti-gunners to accept the reality that eradicating all the guns in America is a virtual impossibility that will inevitably lead to a bloodbath notwithstanding, there are actual common sense things that can be done to safeguard children at schools:

7 Simple Steps to Eliminate School Shootings Overnight
https://townhall.com/columnists/kevinmccullough/2018/02/18/how-to-eliminate-school-shootings-overnight-n2450380

Unfortunately I suspect the fact that these measures would likely have a huge positive impact in decreasing the frequency and lethality of school attacks and thus deprive those who really just want to #BanAllGuns of a powerfully emotional talking point that they incessantly use to emotionally manipulate people in this country is a big reason why the Bloombergs, the Pelosi's, and the Schumers of this world are against them. These measures would go far to gut their current attempts to enact the laws that they so desperately want.

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:43 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

The biggest problem towards finding a "solution" is that there is no solution. No matter how much money and effort and time is put into making even a single location secure, someone can cause mayhem and destruction if they are intent on doing so.

By looking to make something 100% "safe and secure" we will inevitably find ourselves walking down the path towards a totalitarian state.
This murderer killed our innocent children with an AR15, so ban AR15s.
This one used a SA handgun. Let's ban SA handguns.
Now a murderer used a few revolvers. Bam. Those are mass-killing weapons of terrorists.
I am shocked that we haven't started registering pressure cookers, since the use of one in Boston was so horrific that it allowed militarized police units to "suspend" our Constitution and Bill of Rights during the search for the murderers.

But in truth, ban AR15s and actually succeed in removing every single one in citizens' hands? They will be cranked out by good people and bad people in their garages because the technology exists, and they are TOOLS. They will be used by both good and bad people forever on.

Gun control is an empty promise of safety and security with only one real purpose in mind - disarming the civilian population.
ETA - It will still only disarm the law-abiding civilian population. Laws don't stop criminals from doing bad things. Laws in general cover the aftermath, not the action.

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
The biggest problem towards finding a "solution" is that there is no solution. No matter how much money and effort and time is put into making even a single location secure, someone can cause mayhem and destruction if they are intent on doing so.

By looking to make something 100% "safe and secure" we will inevitably find ourselves walking down the path towards a totalitarian state.
This murderer killed our innocent children with an AR15, so ban AR15s.
This one used a SA handgun. Let's ban SA handguns.
Now a murderer used a few revolvers. Bam. Those are mass-killing weapons of terrorists.
I am shocked that we haven't started registering pressure cookers, since the use of one in Boston was so horrific that it allowed militarized police units to "suspend" our Constitution and Bill of Rights during the search for the murderers.

But in truth, ban AR15s and actually succeed in removing every single one in citizens' hands? They will be cranked out by good people and bad people in their garages because the technology exists, and they are TOOLS. They will be used by both good and bad people forever on.

Gun control is an empty promise of safety and security with only one real purpose in mind - disarming the civilian population.
ETA - It will still only disarm the law-abiding civilian population. Laws don't stop criminals from doing bad things. Laws in general cover the aftermath, not the action.

Precisely. Which is why the focus should be on things we can do to mitigate the chances of it happening, knowing full well that we can never remove completely the possibility that it will happen again. To leave a soft target, like a school as many currently are, with nearly no protection and in many cases virtually unfettered access is the height of naivety and stupidity. That said, I wont hold my breath that our fearless leaders will see things that way and move forward with that in mind.

Jeff Cooper

cityslicker wrote:

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:55 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

jdhbulseye wrote:
Precisely. Which is why the focus should be on things we can do to mitigate the chances of it happening, knowing full well that we can never remove completely the possibility that it will happen again. To leave a soft target, like a school as many currently are, with nearly no protection and in many cases virtually unfettered access is the height of naivety and stupidity. That said, I wont hold my breath that our fearless leaders will see things that way and move forward with that in mind.

Agree.
My preferred solution is the quickest (I think) of allowing any person with a CPL (or its variants) who have completed a BGC to conceal carry in any and all of our schools.
Regarding teachers and administrators- set up a program that pays for teacher training and periodic range time and ammo. The teachers and other staff can be kept private if the school administrators must know it, and the teachers trained and tested specifically for carrying in a school, good concealment and retention, etc.
That seems quick and voluntary and least expensive, not perfect. It is easy to find fault with a plan.
Armed guards - sure, but there are plenty of holes to be picked in that plan too, not least of which is the time it will take to implement a nationwide program. If we leave it to state by state - I guarantee that we're a decade away at least.

Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:02 pm

I am sure that there are plenty of people like me that can not be employed yet have passed the background check that would gladly volunteer so many days a week just for something to do.

Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This Texas Sheriff explains quite eloquently how he decided to support arming teachers and staff and the process is quite lengthy and thorough. Those opposed to it should watch this short video first.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/02/19/texas ... ign=buffer

Also, if I recall no school that has armed its teachers and staff en masse (and there are thousands) has ever had a mass shooting. The proof would seem to be in the pudding.

I still stand by my assertion that having one or two armed RSOs on campus is worse than nothing because, being alone and know, they are easy targets and shooters would go for them first from a starting position of concealment which the RSOs cannot anticipate without x-ray vision or hardened entrances and metal detectors. And they'd give the school a false sense of security which any deranged gunman could easily see through.

Also, lone RSOs would have to run from one end of a campus to the other. When seconds count the RSO is a couple minutes away.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:05 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Alpine wrote:
I still stand by my assertion that having one or two armed RSOs on campus is worse than nothing because, being alone and know, they are easy targets and shooters would go for them first from a starting position of concealment which the RSOs cannot anticipate without x-ray vision or hardened entrances and metal detectors. And they'd give the school a false sense of security which any deranged gunman could easily see through.

Also, lone RSOs would have to run from one end of a campus to the other. When seconds count the RSO is a couple minutes away.

I agree, except that I would still preferred to have armed RSO's over nothing at all.
Here's why : If a murderer were to have to choose between two schools (one with and one without armed RSOs) I believe that the choice would be the softest target.
Sure, they can be defeated - but we are talking about a standard murder situation, not an Ocean's 11 type of planning.

Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
Alpine wrote:

I agree, except that I would still preferred to have armed RSO's over nothing at all.
Here's why : If a murderer were to have to choose between two schools (one with and one without armed RSOs) I believe that the choice would be the softest target.
Sure, they can be defeated - but we are talking about a standard murder situation, not an Ocean's 11 type of planning.

Layers of security work best. Most of us know that because of training or study or both.

Jeff Cooper

cityslicker wrote:

Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
Alpine wrote:

Not only is having an RSO worse than nothing because of the false sense of security it will bestow but it also gives the antis "proof" that when a school shooting will occur that armed people couldn't stop it (when in reality the problem was not enough armed people) so we shouldn't bother with defending schools with guns.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alpine wrote:
Not only is having an RSO worse than nothing because of the false sense of security it will bestow but it also gives the antis "proof" that when a school shooting will occur that armed people couldn't stop it (when in reality the problem was not enough armed people) so we shouldn't bother with defending schools with guns.

Wrong. Flat wrong. The SRO's actions (or inaction) in the Douglas HS shooting have yet to be publicly examined. All that I have read/seen is that he never laid eyes on the shooter. Other assertions made right here on this board, like that SRO's are easily tracked and tagged, are also flat wrong, at least in the BSD.

I've said it before and it bothers me to have to say it again: The SRO at the Douglas HS shooting failed in his duty to attempt to protect students. Period, full stop. I am friends with several SRO's and former SRO's (yes, the do get reassigned to other units; they are not chosen to become SRO's because of some failure in "regular" policing). The BSD/BPD policy requires that the SRO, regardless of backup, locate and engage the active shooter. My friend Jan, now a detective, was 5'3" and made a practise of blending in with the student body during dismissal times, of not having a regular patrol schedule, and of very rarely being in her office (school shooters have previously specifically targeted admin and SRO's first). She is friendly and affable and pays attention to things some would dismiss as minor.

Oh, and her vehicle? Loaded down with SWAT gear, with SOP calling for her to retrieve necessary weapons from her vehicle and then hunting the hunter, again regardless of proximity of back up. I do not doubt that had there ever been a major incident whilst she was working as an SRO, she would have found the shooter and done her level best to neutralise him.

So yah, you stick incompetent cowards in a high school for "security"--and yes, I'm calling out the Douglas HS SRO here--and you've done nothing to protect the students or staff. You replace incompetent cowards with motivated, well-paid (Florida isn't even near the top of the scale in pay for LEO's) trained LEO's, different outcome.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Single humans get tired.

Single humans get hungry/thirsty/have to use the bathroom.

Single humans have two eyes and can't look in different directions at the same time. A pair of shooters like Columbine could easily exploit that.

Single humans can get scared and if there's no backup then there's the possibility you raised about cowardice and dereliction of duty.

Let's forget the tagging and tracking aspect. How can one RSO effectively protect several thousand people spread out across a large area? They can't.

Arming a large group of staff mixed in with the students and spread out across the entire large campus area is the only effective answer here. Look at it from a purely tactical viewpoint and don't let emotions or hyberbole into the equation.

Quote:

Quote:

Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next