Switch to full style
General Chit-Chat, comments etc
Post a reply

King County Sheriff assaulted with a deadly weapon

Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:06 pm

http://komonews.com/news/local/sheriff- ... courthouse

I think Barringer got very lucky that the guy stopped a few feet away. That's just too close.

I was leaving the courthouse and had my sheriff's ID card still out (forgot to put it in my pocket) and a guy came up behind me and said "I'm going to round up all the cops and kill them". He clearly had no means to do that so I just kept walking. But there are some messed up people there.

I was down there for a promotion ceremony a few weeks ago and someone had just finished crapping on the sidewalk (my daughter who was with me got to see that).

Barringer is (a little unfairly IMHO) the butt of some jokes because even though he went to the academy and did field training, the rank and file don't consider him to be a cop. Maybe he'll get some cred out of this.

I've been avoiding carrying to the court house not wanting to deal with the lock box, but I will definitely be carrying there next time.

Re: King County Sheriff assaulted with a deadly weapon

Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:32 pm

I see what you did there Anzac....Shouldn't it read (almost) assaulted? So what's the rest of the story? People get assaulted down there all the time, is it news because it was the "Sheriff" himself?
:popcorn:

Maybe the Sheriff should cleanup the area, isn't that the Job he's charged with doing? Oh wait, now that it involves him i bet something happens down there.

He has a plan now? Good. If he wanted to he could have put Deputies down there at anytime and done something about the problem in relatively short order.

It all comes down to money though, i bet his budget gets increased now that he was personally "Assaulted".

Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:44 am

Nice title.. :facepalm2:

Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:00 am

The Sheriff and his armed chief of staff called 911? Seriously?

Has Urquhart forgotten how to make arrests?

I knew a KCSO captain who was contracted out to several local cities as a police chief. Even on his LAST DAY before retirement he was rocking and rolling on calls to the point where the deputies were yelling at him to "get back" and he was making arrests even then.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:21 am

usrifle wrote:I see what you did there Anzac....Shouldn't it read (almost) assaulted?

Running toward an individual yelling with scissors over your head would clearly be classified as a assault.

“That's when I heard his yelling getting closer to my back,” Barringer said. “We turned around and he was running right at us holding a pair of scissors above his shoulder like this. So that's when I drew my gun. He stopped about three or four feet away and backed off."

An potentially deadly assault that would merit a couple rounds to center mass...(my opinion)

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:17 am

usrifle wrote:I see what you did there Anzac....Shouldn't it read (almost) assaulted? So what's the rest of the story? People get assaulted down there all the time, is it news because it was the "Sheriff" himself?

:)

Maybe the Sheriff should cleanup the area, isn't that the Job he's charged with doing? Oh wait, now that it involves him i bet something happens down there.

First, SPD has jurisdiction in Seattle. Its their turf. But the situation is so bad, he's proposed an additional step of KCSO resources to patrol the area, because of the county staff/jurors etc inside the building.

But the police can't "clean this up". These people have mental health issues, drug issues. This is societal issue we all own. If anything, the Mayor owns it, because he's allowed this shit show to continue. Literally, shit show if you've been down there.

He has a plan now? Good. If he wanted to he could have put Deputies down there at anytime and done something about the problem in relatively short order.

That's not true. Budget is still very tight --- adding more patrols in new areas is outside what the budget can stand. He's asked the council to approve the money. Otherwise he'd be taking deputies off patrol somewhere else. It is a zero sum game.

Sheriff made this plan after a juror was assaulted, not because he was threatened.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:20 am

WaJim wrote:
usrifle wrote:I see what you did there Anzac....Shouldn't it read (almost) assaulted?

Running toward an individual yelling with scissors over your head would clearly be classified as a assault.

“That's when I heard his yelling getting closer to my back,” Barringer said. “We turned around and he was running right at us holding a pair of scissors above his shoulder like this. So that's when I drew my gun. He stopped about three or four feet away and backed off."

An potentially deadly assault that would merit a couple rounds to center mass...(my opinion)

Yes, assault is a threat, an ability to hurt someone and an imminent action to further it.

Three feet away with scissors over his head coming at me, yes I would have fired.

I'm never ever going there unarmed again.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:23 am

Alpine wrote:The Sheriff and his armed chief of staff called 911? Seriously?

Has Urquhart forgotten how to make arrests?

1. They didn't have radios.
2. The guy took off. Barringer's priority is probably to stay with the sheriff.
3. Quickest way to get action is to call 911 and get SPD to respond. (I'm curious if he called 911 or the KCSO comm center, because metro police are in the area frequently cleaning up the bus stops)

I am not sure if they carry cuffs when in plain clothes. I am sure they have extra mags. I'll ask.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:07 am

Urquhart loves to do TV spots/interviews with his uniform and kit on, I've talked to several former captains/contract-chiefs, even command staff should be armed and have at least one set of cuffs and/or zip ties along with their service weapon.

Doesn't matter if he has a radio or not. Call 911? HE IS 911. He should be calling for a car or paddy wagon after he's got the perp on the ground and restrained.

IIRC, Reichert, Rahr and Strachan all did "busts" as the sheriff.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:22 am

ANZAC wrote:These people have mental health issues, drug issues. This is societal issue we all own.

I own NO part of those issues...especially the one in Seattle. :blackcloud1:

Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:38 pm

Alpine wrote:Urquhart loves to do TV spots/interviews with his uniform and kit on, I've talked to several former captains/contract-chiefs, even command staff should be armed and have at least one set of cuffs and/or zip ties along with their service weapon.

Doesn't matter if he has a radio or not. Call 911? HE IS 911. He should be calling for a car or paddy wagon after he's got the perp on the ground and restrained.

So you don't think any officer has ever called for backup when a suspect takes off on foot?

Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:56 pm

ANZAC wrote:
Alpine wrote:Urquhart loves to do TV spots/interviews with his uniform and kit on, I've talked to several former captains/contract-chiefs, even command staff should be armed and have at least one set of cuffs and/or zip ties along with their service weapon.

So you don't think any officer has ever called for backup when a suspect takes off on foot?

Well, there was two of them. I guess that he could have called the Big belly Detective to help. :popcorn:

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:19 pm

ANZAC wrote:
usrifle wrote:I see what you did there Anzac....Shouldn't it read (almost) assaulted? So what's the rest of the story? People get assaulted down there all the time, is it news because it was the "Sheriff" himself?

:)

First, SPD has jurisdiction in Seattle. Its their turf. But the situation is so bad, he's proposed an additional step of KCSO resources to patrol the area, because of the county staff/jurors etc inside the building.

But the police can't "clean this up". These people have mental health issues, drug issues. This is societal issue we all own. If anything, the Mayor owns it, because he's allowed this shit show to continue. Literally, shit show if you've been down there.

That's not true. Budget is still very tight --- adding more patrols in new areas is outside what the budget can stand. He's asked the council to approve the money. Otherwise he'd be taking deputies off patrol somewhere else. It is a zero sum game.

Sheriff made this plan after a juror was assaulted, not because he was threatened.
And with the Seattle homeless population, and the soft Seattle democrats outlook. Antifa and BLM and everyone else would try to tar and feather the Sheriff for defending himself...or very least 3 days of peaceful (fires and looting) protests.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:35 pm

sigman226 wrote:And with the Seattle homeless population, and the soft Seattle democrats outlook. Antifa and BLM and everyone else would try to tar and feather the Sheriff for defending himself...or very least 3 days of peaceful (fires and looting) protests.

No doubt... He'd be accused of picking on a man who just needed a helping hand.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:05 pm

ANZAC wrote: This is societal issue we all own.

No we don't.

67% of those, do not want any help of any kind. The rest should get guidance on how to get out of that shit. That's it.
Post a reply