Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Recommendations for vehicle first aid kit? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been looking at commercially available first aid kits for my truck or car. I've got a decent one I put together myself that I shift back and forth between my car or truck, but I want one for each vehicle so I don't have to think about it. Originally i was just thinking about filling up an ammo can with...stuff, but I'm wondering if there's a better way. I'm sure I'm not the first one to think about this and I'm wondering what you guys have done? My current kit has all the stuff you'd expect, bandages, scissors, NSAIDs, anti-acids, glucose tablets, alcohol prep pads, tweezers, splinter kit, instant ice packs, tourniquet, but I'm sure it's missing some stuff that it should have. I also want a bit more comprehensive kit for the boat since the likelihood of being further from help is always there.

What's in your first aid kits, did you build them yourself, or buy commercially? What's missing from commercially bought kits that needs to be added?

Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:36 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NA Rescue has a lot of options:
Seat back, head rest, door panel kits.

I bought a combat medic backpack from a medic some time ago that had some stuff in it and have tried to fill it and keep it current over time.
It's an expensive hobby.

I figure if first aid is occurring in an automotive environment there may be more than one person needing care.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:04 pm

For a car I'd prepare for a car crash. Big triangle bandages, lots of gauze, anticoagulant trauma dressing, tourniquet, scissors,and also things like road flares and a reflective vest. If you can afford it pack an AED.

Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an overkill kit that probably isn’t relevant here but Mountain Man Medical offers a nice assortment for the price and I happily own three of their kits.

https://www.mountainmanmedical.com/

Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

trauma blankets. Shock is no joke. Mt. Sinai stats are 1 in 5 if untreated.

Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quantsuff wrote:
trauma blankets. Shock is no joke. Mt. Sinai stats are 1 in 5 if untreated.

Thanks for responding on topic. Are you talking about the aluminized mylar emergency blankets, or something more substantial?

Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The use case is to hold off shock untill emts arrive. For this the alum blankets work fine. Back country where higher aid is farther away, i'd upgrade to the "space" type blanket.

Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quantsuff wrote:
The use case is to hold off shock untill emts arrive. For this the alum blankets work fine. Back country where higher aid is farther away, i'd upgrade to the "space" type blanket.

Not sure I'm getting the distinction on these. Could you provide links to both for comparison?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:47 pm

jukk0u wrote:
quantsuff wrote:

Not sure I'm getting the distinction on these. Could you provide links to both for comparison?

The name is kind of a marketing thing. First it was the thicker ones that were called space blankets then cheap thin ones, and now back to the thicker ones again.

Whatever type you get, make sure that you do NOT place them directly against the person or it will draw heat away by conduction. You need a gap (like space or insulation) so that it can reflect heat back to the person. Combined with a fleece blanket and a foam pad they are great for preventing the heat loss that can contribute to some types of shock. Much more important to keep them warm than some of the things that have been done in the past like raising the legs, or the MAST pants, though there are some old timers out there who still swear by them.

For a kit, NAR makes pretty damn good ones, and is the US distributor for the CAT tourniquet. Have plenty of gauze, more than you think you'll need. A lot of gloves, some SAM type splints, rolled gauze, and some ACE type bandages (good for splints and holding gauze bandages on tightly). A hemostatic agent is nice for places where you can't use a tourniquet, and so is wound packing gauze (the type that show up on x-rays so the doc knows they got them all out).

And of course training on everything. A Stop The Bleed (R) class (not some BS class using a similar name for $50 that they push in their basic first aid class where they do just the minimum) is great, and is normally free or maybe $5 to cover the supplies. An American Heart Association or American Red Cross first aid and CPR/AED class is also good, especially in conjunction with the STB class. Just find one that has all the optional modules and not just, hold a 4x4 on the wound and wrap it. NOLS also has some good classes but is more designed for those times you'll be quite a bit further away from EMS.

Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Refuge Medical

Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Adventure Medical Kits makes some good kits:

https://adventuremedicalkits.com/

If you have a flexible spending account or health savings account first aid kits qualify

Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

During any type of crisis most people have two major goals - to calm down and to not shit their pants…
So, Prozac and Loperamide.

Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
Adventure Medical Kits makes some good kits:

https://adventuremedicalkits.com/

If you have a flexible spending account or health savings account first aid kits qualify

Wow, great resource, thanks! If nothing else just looking at the specs for each of the kits (I'm focusing on Marine since I want to beef up my boat's kit too) is a good way to know what you should include if you're building one on your own.

Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:56 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I learned something from a lawyer
Prepare only for self help and immediate family
If you render assistance, Good Samaritan laws only go so far
And I roll with a full kit
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/noble- ... LFNOB.html

Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter