Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:57 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Progressives and Volvos 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Our Volvo: a 2008 XC-70 (replaced the 2004 that got totalled)

A few weeks ago, the AM band of our car radio went silent (station buttons and display still work, and the FM band and CD parts still work). I posted the problem on a Volvo board and quickly heard from 4-5 other owners with the same problem. Nobody knows what causes this or how to fix it (one dealer quoted $1000 for a new head unit, but couldn't guarantee that would resolve the issue).

So, I pondered these facts:
- Volvos are very popular in Seattle
- Seattle is about as Progressive as cities get
- Talk radio is almost exclusively anti-Progressive and on the AM band
- The AM band mysteriously fails in Volvo radios
QED, crony capitalists at Volvo designed their radios to please Progressives and frustrate talk radio listeners (I have yet to find a direct link to Obama, but that doesn't clear him).

Prove me wrong, if you can.
:cheers2:

Oh, yeah - almost forgot - fuckity fuck fuck. :cussing:

Synopsis of Rules for Radicals: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alinsky.htm
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" - Bob Marley
104th Division Image Timberwolves

Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nothing to see here.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your Google Fu is weak Doc. Here is your fix. It's been an issue for ages across multiple models and years. https://www.brickboard.com/AWD/volvo/10 ... _knew.html

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The problem is you didn't buy a Volvo. 240s, 740s, and 940s are Volvos. XCs, V and S series are Fords. They don't listen to AM in the hood (Detroit). Just kidding.

Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

skey wrote:
The problem is you didn't buy a Volvo. 240s, 740s, and 940s are Volvos. XCs, V and S series are Fords. They don't listen to AM in the hood (Detroit). Just kidding.

:yes: What SKEY said. 240 sissy wagon AM in effect. :rockout:

Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:10 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

kf7mjf wrote:
Your Google Fu is weak Doc. Here is your fix. It's been an issue for ages across multiple models and years. https://www.brickboard.com/AWD/volvo/10 ... _knew.html

Thanks, but that sounds like a different issue: ". . . the AM Radio reception was awful. . . . the fix is easy: they install a small metal plate/strip in the pillar by the rear window. . . ."

Our reception was great until one day when it went totally silent across all AM stations (preset or otherwise). My own hunch (if it's not a failed circuit in the head unit) is that the AM antenna (or ground) has become disconnected.

Synopsis of Rules for Radicals: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alinsky.htm
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" - Bob Marley

Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

skey wrote:
The problem is you didn't buy a Volvo. 240s, 740s, and 940s are Volvos. XCs, V and S series are Fords. . . .

When I was in grad school at USC, I drove a 122S Amazon (wagon) - the XC was TheMissus' idea.

Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DocNugent wrote:
kf7mjf wrote:

Thanks, but that sounds like a different issue: ". . . the AM Radio reception was awful. . . . the fix is easy: they install a small metal plate/strip in the pillar by the rear window. . . ."

Our reception was great until one day when it went totally silent across all AM stations (preset or otherwise). My own hunch (if it's not a failed circuit in the head unit) is that the AM antenna (or ground) has become disconnected.

From what I saw it's all related and boils down to a shitty ground.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, at least you don't have Prius envy, or Subaru stoopid.

The two most common overtaking traffic lane blocking Obama bumpersticker mo fo car brands clogging up traffic state wide every - fucking - day - of - the - week.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DocNugent wrote:
skey wrote:
The problem is you didn't buy a Volvo. 240s, 740s, and 940s are Volvos. XCs, V and S series are Fords. . . .

When I was in grad school at USC, I drove a 122S Amazon (wagon) - the XC was TheMissus' idea.
Sorry to hear that, sorta like putting a pink dress on a Rottweiler huh. Nice on the bells lights and whistles but a lot more stuff to break on the flip side. Some of the window antenna interconnects have issues if yours are is in the window itself. Don't take it to Kf7mjf's however, it will look like a porcupine when you get it back. You will however, be able to receive KGOD in the Antarctic, in Stereo, quite nicely.

Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I drive a 2007 Volvo S-80 with a very poor AM radio. The dealer has "fixed" it several times under warranty and it still doesn't work right. I find it funny that a guy driving a Volvo can meet a guy driving a Subaru for a gun deal in Seattle. Gotta love it.

Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Only if the FFL shows up in a Prius.

Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[quote="ccontrol"]I drive a 2007 Volvo S-80 quote]

I am so sorry.... :crybaby:

Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]