Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:06 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 23226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1030, 1031, 1032, 1033, 1034, 1035, 1036 ... 1549  Next
 What has MADE your day today? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
The Balrog... she asked politely if she could accompany the neighbor as he was working on our driveways. He said that he'd love her company.
So as I was busy mowing the lawn, she was actively helping our neighbor cutting and hauling brush out into the woods off the driveway. When he cut a branch or vine, she'd pick it up without ever being asked and haul it out in the woods.
He said that she started naming all the kinds of trees, and even picked a peppermint leaf for him and encouraged him to eat it because "it's good for you!" The Dread Princess was working behind our workshop, and she could hear the Balrog and Mr Neighbor chatting near constantly.
I can hardly believe that there are times when I wish that she'd get to playing with her toys or animals or something... so I can get some more work done.

With just a few seconds of hearing about her adventure down the driveways I got a little bit envious of his time with her. :ROFLMAO:

As I am cooling off with a tall glass of ice water, she just came in to tell me about all the slugs and snails that she found while she was working with her mother. She named one of the snails "Barbara."

I love the balrog stories! Keep ‘em coming!!

Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
She named one of the snails "Barbara."

That`s insane, my grandmother is named "Barb" and collects snail figurines. icon_eek

I have never been, am not, and will NEVER be an NRA member. They sold me out a dozen times, just like they have you!

"while CZ, SIG, FN, and Izhmash (hum...) are playing Hardball, American manufacturers are too busy playing Lawyerball."

Want High end Russian military gear? PM me!

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:02 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Arisaka wrote:
PMB wrote:
The Balrog... she asked politely if she could accompany the neighbor as he was working on our driveways. He said that he'd love her company.
So as I was busy mowing the lawn, she was actively helping our neighbor cutting and hauling brush out into the woods off the driveway. When he cut a branch or vine, she'd pick it up without ever being asked and haul it out in the woods.
He said that she started naming all the kinds of trees, and even picked a peppermint leaf for him and encouraged him to eat it because "it's good for you!" The Dread Princess was working behind our workshop, and she could hear the Balrog and Mr Neighbor chatting near constantly.
I can hardly believe that there are times when I wish that she'd get to playing with her toys or animals or something... so I can get some more work done.

With just a few seconds of hearing about her adventure down the driveways I got a little bit envious of his time with her. :ROFLMAO:

As I am cooling off with a tall glass of ice water, she just came in to tell me about all the slugs and snails that she found while she was working with her mother. She named one of the snails "Barbara."

+1000

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

BadKarma wrote:
Arisaka wrote:
PMB wrote:

+1000

Yous are very kind to a doting father.

Fjordforder wrote:
PMB wrote:
She named one of the snails "Barbara."

That`s insane, my grandmother is named "Barb" and collects snail figurines. icon_eek

The real bizarro is that we don't know anyone named Barbara! Trying to figure out whether we read a book to her with that name in it.

Another Balrog story from today.
Yesterday at lunch time we built puzzles... and two puzzles that we built were missing a few pieces each. It happens.

Today we were building two more puzzles, and she picked up one and looked at it carefully... She was looking at it noticeably different than she was normally looking at the pieces so it caught my attention.
"I wonder where this piece goes..." And she walked about 10 feet to where yesterday's puzzles were sitting and slipped it right into one of the spots that was missing! Kind of rocked me back on my heels. I hadn't said a word and had no idea. I told her "Good job!" and meant it heartily.

A few minutes later she picked up another one and was giving it that intent look again... and this time I commented that it belongs to this puzzle... (the colors looked right on to me... it fit the color patterns fine.)
She walked over and slipped it right in to one of yesterday's puzzles.

I kid you not, it floored me. I was pretty much mouth agape. She found one more piece from ayer's puzzles a few minutes later, for a total of 3. She didn't guess, from what I could tell. She saw it, she recognized, and she went straight to it.
These are not the super simple puzzles either. They're about 100 piece, and even when I am fitting pieces I have to apply some thought and rotate around a few times. The pieces that she found were not corners or even edges.
She messes up plenty of times on easy pieces right in her hand and looking at the puzzle, but somehow nailed 3 pieces from a puzzle that she hadn't looked at for a day. I wish that I had had enough free time as a much younger man when my previous children were at this age... The developing brain is really amazing.

Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:22 pm

PMB wrote:
I wish that I had had enough free time as a much younger man when my previous children were at this age... The developing brain is really amazing.

I'm watching this with my own first one right now. He was born the day the big snow came down, and while Truckasuarus was in the shop.

He's getting much better at piloting his meat-suit - he's got decent head-control, and can fairly reliably grab something that you put in front of him and stuff it in his face-hole.

What made my day yesterday was making a kid's day yesterday. I went to the range with my father-in-law. I wanted to sight in my new scope on the R700. My R700 looks pretty cool - it's in a KRG chassis and has a Proof Research cool-looking carbon fiber wrapped barrel. So, if you're a kid of about 8, this is a very cool sniper rifle. And I don't disagree, but why would I make something I think is ugly? (er... actually, let me come back to that, later).

Anyway, I'd sighted in and confirmed that I was getting about 1/3 MOA grouping at 100 yards. Kid sees the rifle and is in awe over it, so naturally, I ask him (and his dad) whether he'd like to shoot it. His dad was a little apprehensive because he hadn't shot anything that big before, but 6mm Creedmoor with a muzzle brake feels a lot closer to .223 than .308. Even so, the kid's not quite big enough to get the stock into his shoulder, so we make sure he's not behind it, and I braced that, so he didn't scope himself in the eye. Before he got behind the gun we talked about how we were going to shoot safely (no ammunition in the gun until we are already pointing it at the target, and that out finger isn't on the trigger until we're ready to shoot). He understood and did the things I asked, so once he'd confirmed that he was on target he pushed the bolt forwards and closed it, and pulled the trigger, and then we looked and found the hole on the target right next to the bullseye.

I love teaching enthusiastic people.

Now, to get back to the "why would you build an ugly thing" - right as I was packing up a dude and his friends arrived. He had with him the output of an "I wonder if..." session. He'd put a Ruger 10/22 into what I'm going to describe as a "homemade wooden stock". It was a 2x4. He called it his "10/22x4". All the accessories are held in with wood screws. The pistol grip is a magazine. It's a bullpup, and the trigger is a thick piece of bent wire running along the side. It is simultaneously one of the best and worst things I've ever seen.

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got new seat covers. Happy Early Birthday to me!

I have never been, am not, and will NEVER be an NRA member. They sold me out a dozen times, just like they have you!

"while CZ, SIG, FN, and Izhmash (hum...) are playing Hardball, American manufacturers are too busy playing Lawyerball."

Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fjordforder wrote:

Those look pretty nice. Who's the mfg?

Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
Fjordforder wrote:

Those look pretty nice. Who's the mfg?

Some nameless somethingorother outfit on Ebay. They were around $15 or $20 shipped. :ROFLMAO:

Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guy at McDonalds asked me if my order was for here or to go? I needed a good laugh.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Last edited by mcyclonegt on Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
Guy at McDonalds asked me if my order was for here or to go? I needed a goof laugh.

Damn Matt, you really know how to spoil yourself with the top shelf restaurants
!!

Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:
Guy at McDonalds asked me if my order was for here or to go? I needed a goof laugh.

!!

Driving between Olympia and Bremerton at 5am leaves little options. An ice tea and breakfast burrito tides me over until I get to work and make some real food at 9.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:49 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Had pulled pork nachos last night at Topside in Steilacoom.

Soooooo good they're freaking sinful

Going to be hard to not go back there weekly.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WaJim wrote:
Had pulled pork nachos last night at Topside in Steilacoom.

Soooooo good they're freaking sinful

Going to be hard to not go back there weekly.

Topside is near and dear to my heart :bigsmile: Great place to quaff a brew or two while grabbing a bite to eat and enjoying the views of Puget Sound. Miss that place and look forward to a visit on our next trip to Washington.

Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:44 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

mcyclonegt wrote:
Arisaka wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:

!!

Driving between Olympia and Bremerton at 5am leaves little options. An ice tea and breakfast burrito tides me over until I get to work and make some real food at 9.

I fixed that for myself... I eat an early lunch and an early supper, and that's it most days. :thumbsup2:

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
Guy at McDonalds asked me if my order was for here or to go? I needed a good laugh.

This would have made a lot more sense if you clarified you were at the drive-through. :bonghit:

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1030, 1031, 1032, 1033, 1034, 1035, 1036 ... 1549  Next