Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:55 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The End of Manual Transmissions 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Usually a rite of passage into adulthood the knowledge and skill to shift gears is imparted from parent to child (I learned how to drive a stick when I lied about the ability to do so in order to get a job unloading semi-trucks with a fork lift, but I digress).

These days, automakers seem to be phasing them out.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... rs/671078/

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

....in America, where you can't text and drive and eat and drive and put on makeup and drive with a stick shift, and AI doesn't have an algorithm for using a clutch pedal.

Manual Bruce Jenners are all over other places equally as stupid, but more coordinated and serious about driving being a privilege.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:46 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

jukk0u wrote:
Usually a rite of passage into adulthood the knowledge and skill to shift gears is imparted from parent to child (I learned how to drive a stick when I lied about the ability to do so in order to get a job unloading semi-trucks with a fork lift, but I digress).

[/]These days, automakers seem to be phasing them out.[/b]

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... rs/671078/

Its not the car-makers fault.

Its CAFE Standards set in place for the Mfgs each year by the US gvt.

Youll also notice the engines getting smaller and turbo will be a normal thing.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a shame they're doing away with manual transmission vehicles. The trucking industry hollered at Volvo-Mack, International, Daimler Trucks North America, Peterbilt/Kenworth/Paccar some years ago because they wanted to open up the industry to those who couldn't drive stick, basically lowering the bar even more. Yes, the industry had their rotten apples even when stick was the norm but now look at the common trucker out there. Many of them drive like a Nigerian pulling an Amazon trailer. The automatic transmission made the industry accessible to those who have no business behind the wheel of a commercial vehicle. At least with stick shift, you actually had to be paying attention to what you were doing.

The Kenworth W900L I drove while living in Tejas was one of the best ones I've ever driven. It was a 13-speed and powered by a 600hp Cummins. It could pull loads in excess of 44 tons without any trouble.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After driving manual transmissions my entire life, I finally have an automatic. Not looking back and don't miss that manual in the stupid Seattle traffic every day.

Divided we fall.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eddie Dean wrote:
It's a shame they're doing away with manual transmission vehicles. The trucking industry hollered at Volvo-Mack, International, Daimler Trucks North America, Peterbilt/Kenworth/Paccar some years ago because they wanted to open up the industry to those who couldn't drive stick, basically lowering the bar even more. Yes, the industry had their rotten apples even when stick was the norm but now look at the common trucker out there. Many of them drive like a Nigerian pulling an Amazon trailer. The automatic transmission made the industry accessible to those who have no business behind the wheel of a commercial vehicle. At least with stick shift, you actually had to be paying attention to what you were doing.

The Kenworth W900L I drove while living in Tejas was one of the best ones I've ever driven. It was a 13-speed and powered by a 600hp Cummins. It could pull loads in excess of 44 tons without any trouble.

I got a trucker friend and the amount of fuel saved using the auto transmissions and computers is significant. But for the most part I agree with you. I get cut off by truckers way more than smaller car drivers. I asked him about this and he says the amount of drivers coming from 3rd world countries is increasing.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unless you are there for the "experience" there is no objective reason to run a manual transmission.

Automatic and double clutch systems are simply faster and more fuel efficient, and on top that generally more reliable than the monkey behind the wheel burning out clutch plates because of mismatched shifts.

So the cars that warrant it is ones that sell for the driving experience, your 911 GT3s, MX-5/Miata, and BRZs will still have them as long as they can keep them. Porsche said as much for the GT3.

But as far as why your Dodge Durango having a manual transmission? Who the hell cares.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have also prefer stick over auto. But after my last accord was wrecked. Its near impossible to find a stick small sedan in used market. At least i still have my stick Kubota tractor to play with:)

Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Driving a stick while four-wheeling has its advantages.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It’s like cursive writing. It’s foreign to the new kids. Totally lost and have no idea what it is and what it’s for.

I have owned over 20 cars and 9 have been manuals.

Went on a lease binge for a decade. Got a set of 2 new cars every 2 years. One for her and one for me.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder how many here can ride a Harley with a tank shift foot clutch?
I had a '48 FL. :thumbsup2:

Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:

I can't think of any other case where the monkey outdoes the computer. My Wrangler is the last manual I plan to own.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:

I can't imagine drifting without a manual.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:23 pm

Rix86 wrote:
jukk0u wrote:

I can't imagine drifting without a manual.

This. For sports cars a manual is a must. Driving an automatic just isn't the same. For anything else (particularly a commuter car), I like to stick with Auto's. Just so much easier in traffic than pumping the clutch every 5 feet.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:02 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

It just cost me $135 plus shipping for me to fix my Toyota 4x4 5 speed.

Plus gear oil.

Automatic same year would be $2000-$2500 minimum.

Thats with me humping the bitch in and out.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next