Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:12 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 DEALERSHIP RIPOFFS & some good ones. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eddie Dean wrote:
All of the bike shops within 150 miles of my location are selling adventure bikes at 30 to 80% markup. It's such bullshit.

What kind of adventure bike you looking for?
Better off buying used right now.
My new 1250 GSA is worth more than what I paid for it 18 months ago.
You can find good deals, just gotta look and willing to fly and ride.

Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

STED9R wrote:
Eddie Dean wrote:
All of the bike shops within 150 miles of my location are selling adventure bikes at 30 to 80% markup. It's such bullshit.

I have my eyes on the Honda CB500X. Even the used ones are marked up by both dealers and private sellers. So infuriating!

Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eddie Dean wrote:
STED9R wrote:
Eddie Dean wrote:

I have my eyes on the Honda CB500X. Even the used ones are marked up by both dealers and private sellers. So infuriating!

If you're looking for a cheap adventure, go KLR 650. Step up a notch to a BMW 650. Both are easy to get for well under $5k. KLR have finally went F.I.
The GS\A 700 and 800 are really out in the market now that the upgraded models have been out for 3+ years.
The new 750 GS is a lightweight monster. But fuel capacity and cast rims limit it.
Also look at Tenere. Avoid KTM unless you like to work on it often.
Avoid cast wheels if you are aggressive with the throttle and suspension, they do not hold up.

Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

STED9R wrote:
Eddie Dean wrote:
STED9R wrote:
Eddie Dean wrote:

If you're looking for a cheap adventure, go KLR 650. Step up a notch to a BMW 650. Both are easy to get for well under $5k. KLR have finally went F.I.
The GS\A 700 and 800 are really out in the market now that the upgraded models have been out for 3+ years.
The new 750 GS is a lightweight monster. But fuel capacity and cast rims limit it.
Avoid cast wheels if you are aggressive with the throttle and suspension, they do not hold up.

I'm favoring the CB500X for its simplicity and ease of riding. I haven't been on a motorcycle in almost 20 years. Plus I've always loved how reliable Honda bikes are.

The KLR 650 is a definite alternative. I checked on various sites for my area and there didn't seem to be any used ones for sale. New ones at the dealerships were insanely marked up.

Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eddie Dean wrote:
STED9R wrote:
Eddie Dean wrote:
STED9R wrote:
Eddie Dean wrote:

I'm favoring the CB500X for its simplicity and ease of riding. I haven't been on a motorcycle in almost 20 years. Plus I've always loved how reliable Honda bikes are.

The KLR 650 is a definite alternative. I checked on various sites for my area and there didn't seem to be any used ones for sale. New ones at the dealerships were insanely marked up.

Get on AdvRider and a couple BDR (Backcountry Discovery Route) sites your way, they'll have sale sections. May even the TAT site.

Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

STED9R wrote:
Eddie Dean wrote:
STED9R wrote:
Eddie Dean wrote:
STED9R wrote:
Eddie Dean wrote:

Get on AdvRider and a couple BDR (Backcountry Discovery Route) sites your way, they'll have sale sections. May even the TAT site.

Thanks! I'll check those out once I'm home.

Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eddie Dean wrote:
STED9R wrote:
Eddie Dean wrote:
STED9R wrote:
Eddie Dean wrote:
STED9R wrote:
Eddie Dean wrote:

Thanks! I'll check those out once I'm home.

Put 46k miles on a 2016 KLR 650 until I sold it and got a BMW. Besides, can't beat 55+ mpg and a tool kit you can carry in a back pocket to repair anything on the bike.
Will get another one some day, will always be my go to ride to get shit done end of the world deal bike.

Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

STED9R wrote:
Put 46k miles on a 2016 KLR 650 until I sold it and got a BMW. Besides, can't beat 55+ mpg and a tool kit you can carry in a back pocket to repair anything on the bike.
Will get another one some day, will always be my go to ride to get shit done end of the world deal bike.

I told my uncle in AZ about what I'm planning on doing. It turns out he's been thinking about selling his tuned up KLR650 for some time. It's carbureted and is a mid-00s model. He and I are the same size. All of his riding gear and helmet would fit me just fine. The used market out here has them going for MORE than the brand new 2022 bikes. This is for the 650s between 2015 to now.

Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/745368113470048/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Ad2484174-1980-4d88-bddd-97a91c074198
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/5265795910142670/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Ad2484174-1980-4d88-bddd-97a91c074198
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1093139731303994/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Ad2484174-1980-4d88-bddd-97a91c074198
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/355765829981943/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Ad2484174-1980-4d88-bddd-97a91c074198

Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WTF is that shit Rick? You get hacked or something?

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nah, those are ads for KLR bikes in FB for Eddie Dean.

Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those are nice but my uncle is willing to hook me up with the family discount, if he decides this weekend he no longer has any fun on it. I know he hasn't ridden it in over 2 years since he has a Ducati Streetfighter and a race tuned Harley V-rod muscle.

Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tuned up?
The original engines last forever if the doohickey is done, thermobob completed and 1k oil changes(doesn't hold but a bit over a quart) when doing daily slab.
I'd change the oil under 1k miles during daily rides with 15/40 name brand, then full 20/50 synthetic 4T Castrol when I knew I'd be running hard and hot for a couple k miles without an oil change. Filter got changed ever few k miles. Keeping oil clean never had filthy filters.
685 kits are cool, but it lowers the bottom end life and you really have to keep playing with the carb, 702 kits are the worst.
Non molested stock carbs keeps the fuel mileage in check. They're already jetted a bit rich so cylinder stays cool.
Guys are drilling holes in the slide and doing all sorts of weird shit to get wheelie torque, it really screws up the performance between low and high end rpms and washes the cylinder.
Up the sprocket to 16 tooth so freeway rpm isn't winding it out. I played off-road hard with 16 tooth without feathering the clutch.
Change out the sub frame bolt with larger.
Built up a couple of these bikes stock and performance, stock is easier to work with and keeps you from constantly adjusting.
Bump exhaust valve 1 tooth forward, does more good than carb work.
While he ate the back of a trailer, I'm sure KLR Carey notes are still on the interwebs for reading. He did good stuff with the bikes. Most of my work was trial and error and once I found what works, discovered his site with the same shit I'd spent thousands of miles figuring out.
Think KLR650.net is still out there too.
Those bikes will do everything, but uncomfortable in the process and don't do everything great. It's the middle ground of off-road and road.

Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

STED9R wrote:
Tuned up?
The original engines last forever if the doohickey is done, thermobob completed and 1k oil changes(doesn't hold but a bit over a quart) when doing daily slab.
I'd change the oil under 1k miles during daily rides with 15/40 name brand, then full 20/50 synthetic 4T Castrol when I knew I'd be running hard and hot for a couple k miles without an oil change. Filter got changed ever few k miles. Keeping oil clean never had filthy filters.
685 kits are cool, but it lowers the bottom end life and you really have to keep playing with the carb, 702 kits are the worst.
Non molested stock carbs keeps the fuel mileage in check. They're already jetted a bit rich so cylinder stays cool.
Guys are drilling holes in the slide and doing all sorts of weird shit to get wheelie torque, it really screws up the performance between low and high end rpms and washes the cylinder.
Up the sprocket to 16 tooth so freeway rpm isn't winding it out. I played off-road hard with 16 tooth without feathering the clutch.
Change out the sub frame bolt with larger.
Built up a couple of these bikes stock and performance, stock is easier to work with and keeps you from constantly adjusting.
Bump exhaust valve 1 tooth forward, does more good than carb work.
While he ate the back of a trailer, I'm sure KLR Carey notes are still on the interwebs for reading. He did good stuff with the bikes. Most of my work was trial and error and once I found what works, discovered his site with the same shit I'd spent thousands of miles figuring out.
Think KLR650.net is still out there too.
Those bikes will do everything, but uncomfortable in the process and don't do everything great. It's the middle ground of off-road and road.

My uncle isn't lazy or careless when having work done on his bikes. He has taken real good care of his 650. He has managed to keep it in immaculate shape. He doesn't do any of that wheelie shit. I suppose it'll come down to the logistics in getting the bike out to SE Pennsyltucky. Given the market out here, I can't afford to be insanely picky. I primarily want something as a fun alternative to my car. There are some neat goat trails in the Appalachian Mtns and Poconos I'd like to explore. My Optima sure as shit can't get anywhere on those roads. I also want something that'll become a short commuter. Gym, work, and friends are within 8 miles of where I live. Speaking of the gym. It sure would be nice to let the air do its job instead of stinking up the interior of my car. It's rare I come out of there NOT completely soaked in my own sweat.

Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:37 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

lamrith wrote:
No kia dealers in WA showing no markup. Westhills was zero markup, but non refundable deposit and a number of mandatory add-ons, one which was adding a module to make the tail light blink. FU messing with the electronics on my brand new vehicle.

Call up Fowler or Arapahoe Kia in Colorado. They will take orders at MSRP. Only catch is a $699 paperwork fee vs the ones in WA being under $200. But they are also higher volume and more likely to get your order in earlier.

I am a FFL in Redmond. Check out my website at https://www.lucidityprovisions.com to purchase items that I have in stock or for information on processing transfers for online purchases. If there are any items you are looking for feel free to PM me here or use the contact form on my website and I'll see what I can do for you.

Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:42 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next