Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:09 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 1903 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 127  Next
 Russia-Ukraine War 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SurfPerch wrote:
Ouch. Russian flair for the dramatic :

Quote:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... in-ukraine

Russia: man shoots officer drafting residents for war in Ukraine

According to a witness, the man shot the draft officer after he had given a “clumsy” pep talk for the men to go and fight in Ukraine. “Nobody is going to go anywhere,” the man said moments before opening fire, the People of Baikal news outlet quoted the witness as saying.

Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
The counting of votes in the Donetsk People's Republic has ended. 99.23% voted for joining Russia.

Thus, the final numbers of the referendum look like this:

Donetsk People's Republic - 99.23%
Lugansk People's Republic - 98.42%
Zaporozhye region - 93.11%
Kherson region - 87.05%

These are the numbers that will go into the history books.

The people have made their choice.

Welcome home!

Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:21 pm

movingviolation wrote:
Quote:
The counting of votes in the Donetsk People's Republic has ended. 99.23% voted for joining Russia.

Thus, the final numbers of the referendum look like this:

Donetsk People's Republic - 99.23%
Lugansk People's Republic - 98.42%
Zaporozhye region - 93.11%
Kherson region - 87.05%

These are the numbers that will go into the history books.

The people have made their choice.

Welcome home!

I expect Russia will hold on to much of Donetsk and Luhansk but lose parts of Kherson and Zaporozhye. That means the Ukrainians will end up holding land Putin claims is Russia

Then what? If he actually uses nukes he's done. But politically can he really cede territory he claims is part of Russia?

It feels like he's painted himself into a corner here

Edited: typos

Last edited by hkhnm on Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:32 pm

movingviolation wrote:
Welcome home!

You win some, you lose some...

Quote:
https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/natio ... story.html

Over 194,000 Russians flee to neighboring countries after partial mobilization of reservists for Ukraine war

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”

Ronald Reagan Oct. 27, 1964

Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:43 pm

SurfPerch wrote:
movingviolation wrote:
Welcome home!

Quote:

Over 194,000 Russians flee to neighboring countries after partial mobilization of reservists for Ukraine war

Assuming that's true, that's about half a percent of the men that are eligible for the draft. Just back of the envelope assuming half of men are fighting age out of Russia's 144 million people.

Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SurfPerch wrote:
movingviolation wrote:
Welcome home!

Quote:

whooptiedoo...
how many Ukrainian men have fled when this shit show kicked off? remember those stories?

Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:05 pm

hkhnm wrote:
Assuming that's true, that's about half a percent of the men that are eligible for the draft. Just back of the envelope assuming half of men are fighting age out of Russia's 144 million people.

Sure. I was just commenting on welcoming new citizenry into imperial "home" while "old" citizenry is leaving homes on the same occasion... Makes empire stronger, no doubt.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”

Ronald Reagan Oct. 27, 1964

Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:23 pm

SurfPerch wrote:
hkhnm wrote:

Sure. I was just commenting on welcoming new citizenry into imperial "home" while "old" citizenry is leaving homes on the same occasion... Makes empire stronger, no doubt.

Yeah it's not good for Putin politically, it signals huge unrest. For every 1 that actually uprooted their life and left there are probably dozens more who stayed but are pretty angry about it.

But operationally it's a small number that won't stop him getting the 300k people he wants to draft.

Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I couldn't figure out exactly where to put this pix.

Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Regarding the pipeline sabotage. I have difficulty understanding the motivations of Putin and the Russian state,
IF they are responsible. The pipelines were a major economic asset of the Russian state.
On the other hand... who would actually benefit by the loss of this asset?

"I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert Heinlein

Resistance to tyranny is always justified.

Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:55 pm

Russia has been playing coy with the gas pipeline. It has stopped sending gas to the EU but it has never said this is because of the war. It has blamed "technical problems".

Now it will be able to blame the war without actually claiming retaliation. Russia will say that it's too dangerous to restart the pipeline without a peace treaty

Edited: typos

Last edited by hkhnm on Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought the Canadians were dragging their feet with a replacement or repaired turbine?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Biden and his undersecretary of state were ON CAMERA earlier this year threatening Nord stream 2. The latter undersecretary of state even specifically threatened violence to it.

The US may have just started ww3. Not sure what Russia will do.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

corpsman wrote:
Regarding the pipeline sabotage. I have difficulty understanding the motivations of Putin and the Russian state,
IF they are responsible. The pipelines were a major economic asset of the Russian state.
On the other hand... who would actually benefit by the loss of this asset?

There is no rational justification of Russia having done this to themselves. If they wanted to shut off the flow to Europe, they didn't need to destroy the infrastructure; all they had to do was stop filling the pipeline with gas. And I don't believe for one second that Russia did it to provide themselves with cover for why they can no longer supply gas to Europe. That is an extreme length to go to fabricate an excuse that they don't even need; European countries providing military aid to Ukraine is reason enough. This was sabotage against Russia, plain and simple. We can all theorize as to whodunnit, and I don't claim to know for sure any more than the next guy. But it does seem highly suspicious that, in early 2022, Joe Biden and Victoria Nuland both said on separate occasions - and in no uncertain terms - that they would shut down the pipeline by any means necessary, if Putin invaded Ukraine.

Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:10 pm

Reposting from the other thread incase any of yoos missed it....

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1903 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 127  Next