Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:07 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 State Income Tax Survey 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Received the following survey, including a couple short videos. There's a long (30 min.) and short (<5min.) Version. The questions don't look too biased and it doesn't appear to be a blatant attempt to justify an income or capital gains tax. Take a peek if you're interested.

https://taxworkgroup.org/survey

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Who funded this will tell you all you need to know.
Not gonna click.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:24 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Do NOT do anything like this shit...data mining freaks!

Next thing you know you own a condo in Florida that you didnt buy.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:
Not gonna click.

Sorry Jim, I should have included - it 's sponsored by the "Tax Structure Work Group" which is a bipartisan group of legislators. I figure "our" guys could use the data to fight new taxes. Here's their link, if interested in checking them out> https://taxworkgroup.org/

I'm not advocating one way or another or more precisely trying to influence anybody's opinion, merely providing links for interested parties to investigate

I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
In 2017, the Washington State Legislature established the Tax Structure Work Group (TSWG)...

Yeah, hard pass. Might be billed as 'bi-partisan' but sure as hell isn't 'non-partisan'. Based on who created it and what it's made up of, it's leaning clearly in one direction. The 'watch the video before taking the survey' part is clearly trying to influence the survey.

It's simple class warfare and there are more people at the bottom that will clearly survey themselves less in taxes and more taxes on the wealthy in the name of "fairness". The working group will find their mandate to then fulfill their desires of progressive taxation, which is a disincentive to the overall economy.

I wish technology solved people issues. It seems to just reveal them.

Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gman wrote:
Quote:
In 2017, the Washington State Legislature established the Tax Structure Work Group (TSWG)...

Yeah, hard pass.

Yep, and they were probably counting on only pro tax people filling out the survey so they can say "See, the People support it!" ( leaving the Republican commitee members hanging out to dry.)

Based on early reaction here, I'd say Mission Accomplished.

Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The questions pose, as is the nature of polls, a limited and targeted number of "solutions" which pigeon-hole respondents.
False dilemmas, funneling respondents into predetermined positions.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Traut wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:
Not gonna click.

Sorry Jim, I should have included - it 's sponsored by the "Tax Structure Work Group" which is a bipartisan group of legislators. I figure "our" guys could use the data to fight new taxes. Here's their link, if interested in checking them out> https://taxworkgroup.org/

I'm not advocating one way or another or more precisely trying to influence anybody's opinion, merely providing links for interested parties to investigate

I assure you Mr. Traut, I was not trying to shoot the messenger, your post was surely genuine in nature.

I’ve been involved in Washington politics for many years and I know that when they “D’s” create yet another entity to look into “insert agenda” it is for their benefit not the taxpayers. Nothing genuine comes from Washington politicians anymore, it’s ruined.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There isn't enough information in this for me to answer. Example
Quote:
Property Tax Definition (Current tax): People and businesses pay taxes on land and buildings.

Wealth Tax Definition (Proposed alternative tax): An annual wealth tax of 1% would apply on financial property (such as stocks and bonds) of persons who live in Washington. Up to $1 billion of an individual's financial property are exempt from the wealth tax.

3. Which is fairer?

It depends completely on proportions. I'm not OK with a $1 reduction in property tax in exchange for a camel's nose under the tent wealth tax. I would consider a meaningful property tax decrease in exchange for an alternate tax that is more progressive, but doesn't create more tax revenue for the state.
And what does "up to" mean? It could mean "$999,999,999 of salary proceeds from work as a state employee, $1 of all other property" (obviously that wouldn't be it, but its an extreme example to illustrate the point).

Poorly written survey intended to garner poorly informed results.

Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:26 pm

Gman wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, hard pass. Might be billed as 'bi-partisan' but sure as hell isn't 'non-partisan'. Based on who created it and what it's made up of, it's leaning clearly in one direction. The 'watch the video before taking the survey' part is clearly trying to influence the survey.

It's simple class warfare and there are more people at the bottom that will clearly survey themselves less in taxes and more taxes on the wealthy in the name of "fairness". The working group will find their mandate to then fulfill their desires of progressive taxation, which is a disincentive to the overall economy.

Reminds me of an old saying back at RedState.

"We have a two party system. The Evil Party and the Stupid Party, and every so often they get together to do something both Evil AND Stupid and call it 'Bipartisanship.'"

Especially with this state's infestation of Lite-Beer, limp-dicked Establishment Republicucks who'd rather be Junior Coalition Partners than Opposition LEADERS...

What have YOU done to defend your gun rights against the idiots in DC and Olympia today?

Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Traut wrote:
Gman wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, hard pass.

Yep, and they were probably counting on only pro tax people filling out the survey so they can say "See, the People support it!" ( leaving the Republican commitee members hanging out to dry.)

Yep

Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:49 pm

I went through a few pages and it's pretty clearly skewed, only present Left and More Left options with no "Get your fucking thieving hands out of my wallet!" end of the spectrum.

What have YOU done to defend your gun rights against the idiots in DC and Olympia today?

Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Indeed. Question 2 presumes that a tax, other than the current sales tax, WILL be implemented and you are to pick your poison.

2.What would a fair tax system look like? Which statement below best matches your sense of a fair tax for individuals and businesses?

*Those individual and business taxpayers with higher incomes or revenue should pay a higher percent of their income or revenue on taxes, and those with lower incomes or revenue should pay a lesser percentage through graduated or progressive rates, targeted tax credits or exemptions, etc. (Prioritizes capacity)

*All individual and business taxpayers should pay the same percent of their income or revenue on taxes regardless of their income through flat rates, no targeted tax credits or exemptions, etc. (Prioritizes consistency)

*I'm not sure.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:09 pm

I'd like to propose a fair tax... every time Olympia passes a tax hike, those who vote for it in each chamber are required to draw lots, take the loser from each chamber up to the top of the Dome and throw them off.

Make THEM have some skin in the game too.

Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:12 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Traut wrote:
Gman wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, hard pass.

So infuriating that these people need to fill the void of every faction of life with a do-nothing group that cost mega bux to fund.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next