Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:20 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Legal help 

My dad passed away last year, he had a boat that is coming to me. Right now it's in his and his wifes name. 

The boat is sitting at her son's house and he needs it gone due to him moving. This is in Texas btw. So I have a good friend that will go get it and store it for me. Initially we talked about putting the title in his name and he would get insurance on it. Then we would transfer it back to me when I return. 

The son is apprehensive naturally, he doesn't know my friend. I'm wondering is there a way I can do a trust, basically my friend will have possession but it would technically be mine and we can put it into my name once I return from Japan.

Is there a legal way to do this?

Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can be the legal owner and he can be the registered owner.

Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
You can be the legal owner and he can be the registered owner.

Bingo. It's how car dealerships, or anyone taking payments over time, allow use of the vehicle while retaining ultimate ownership until the transaction is complete.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:50 pm

thanks guys, how do i do it?

Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It appears they have different terms for some of this in Texas.

Couple of things:

* Why does he need to insure it if he’s just storing it, and not using it?

* Is there someone that handled your Dad’s estate that could advise you on this.

* caveat: I know he’s a good friend, but I’ve seen great friends, who served in war together, split over even simpler transactions.

Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:59 pm

Insurance is just in case anything happens.

Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just my two cents. I’m not sure if it’s possible in your case. You retain ownership, rent a space from a reputable RV/Boat storage company in advance, in your name. Have your friend deliver it to the storage, compensate him for assisting.

NRA Range Safety Officer
NSSF Member
SAF Defender's Club - Life member
US Navy - 1976-1982

Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Part of my statement about terms being different in Texas, has to do with what other terms were mentioned.

For instance, you may title it in your own name, and your friend may hold it under the title of “garageman”, as stipulated below.

But that article is from 2013, and laws change.

Maybe send an email to the law firm that wrote it & see if they have a simple, free, solution.

https://legaltalktexas.hammerle.com/bus ... oat-liens/

Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a lot of legal paperwork, storage fees, time and money spent lugging it to the friend's house and then going down there to get it and driving it back.

Sell it down there and buy something new with the proceeds (and the money you would have spent on fuel and lodging?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He’s in Japan, logistics aren’t that simple right now…

Plus, it was his Dad’s

Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:49 pm

It appears that you're contemplating all these title gyrations in order to get the thing insured. I don't think any of that is necessary. Just get it titled in your name.

Your friend can get it insured with you being the "named insured", and specifically tell the insurance folks the location where the boat will reside. Your friend should check with his insurance agent as this may be a simple low or no cost add-on to his home-owners policy (assuming he has one).

Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:27 pm

gunblaster wrote:
It appears that you're contemplating all these title gyrations in order to get the thing insured. I don't think any of that is necessary. Just get it titled in your name.

Your friend can get it insured with you being the "named insured", and specifically tell the insurance folks the location where the boat will reside. Your friend should check with his insurance agent as this may be a simple low or no cost add-on to his home-owners policy (assuming he has one).

But how do I title it while I'm in Japan. I funny have an American address

Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:46 am

NWGunner wrote:
Part of my statement about terms being different in Texas, has to do with what other terms were mentioned.

For instance, you may title it in your own name, and your friend may hold it under the title of “garageman”, as stipulated below.

But that article is from 2013, and laws change.

Maybe send an email to the law firm that wrote it & see if they have a simple, free, solution.

https://legaltalktexas.hammerle.com/bus ... oat-liens/

I'll give this a shot. Thanks

Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

acidfly wrote:
gunblaster wrote:

But how do I title it while I'm in Japan. I funny have an American address

use a notary?
See if title agency will accept notarized docs.

FJB

Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:52 am

I don't understand why the son cares, tell him your friend will pick it up. Not a big deal. I'd contact the dmv down there, they might have the ability to E sign paperwork or they might have a form that your step mom would need to sign and send along with the title to you in Japan, that you then send to the dmv. The son is making a mountain out of a mole hill

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next