Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:17 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 How to actually help the homeless as an individual? 

Quote:
Alpine wrote:
The guardian? Mental illness? Economic hardship?

These false excuses are what helped kill my uncle and my sister and are what's killing my nephew.

It's drugs. Basically all of it, the amount that isn't is a rounding error.

No more excuses or dispensationalism. Wake up. The fake liberal talking points are killing people and bleeding our money to do it.

Sorry to hear that man, that's devastating to hear let alone experience. I mean to a certain degree you're right, between homeless deaths most are from drugs way more so than starvation, exposure, and violence combined. But to say that economic hardship and mental illness don't play a part in this, that's just ignorant. During my time with the city if I were to grab 10 random homeless people 7 of them would be junkies, of those 7 perhaps around 3 or 4 were people who just fell on bad times, had no safety net, and became a statistic pretty much. No one is making excuses here, highlighting where systems have probably failed isn't an excuse just a mere observation. If you read my response above I clearly outline some solutions from my time and observations I made with my time there that I believe can eventually work if implemented right. I'm not sure how things are now there since I left years ago but there was some good people in that department, so I have faith. But it's not going to disappear over night unless something radical happens, other countries who are doing a better job than us have taken up to a decade with a nationwide effort, we're no where near that.

Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:07 pm

NWGunner wrote:
Good insights :thumbsup2:

I do want to point out that Finland’s population is only 5.5 million, and in the 13 years they’ve been working on this, the homeless population decreased from about 20,000, to 5500.

It’s a little tougher with nearly 600,000 homeless in the U.S.

The other problem is that you can offer housing, but can’t force someone to take it.

They used to commit people, but not anymore.

I’m all for trying something new, however, because a good portion of the tens of millions a year spent on it, gets pissed away...

Of course, there are other reason I believe that something like this is decades off from taking off here, mostly because as you said Finland has a tiny homeless population compared to us and on top of the Finns tend to be more educated and homogeneous than us, so getting people on board with something like this is less of a challenge then it would be here. However if we are the greatest country in the world I believe no hurdle is too big for us if we set our minds right, I feel like we can be trusted to do the right thing after we exhaust all other options.

Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure how I missed this thread, but....

It's not really a 'homeless' issue, it's a drug issue..

I'll have to make a damn video on this.

99.9% of the legit homeless people are invisible because they're not out there scamming, stealing, or doing drugs.. They're living in their cars, or down on their luck trying desperately to keep their head above water.

Use some common sense.. The dude you think that's on drugs, probably is. Don't give them shit.

Even churches aren't 'safe' anymore as they usually have a no questions asked policy in terms of helping, which only causes more issues... I've taken churches up on their offers of lunch and dinners when I was down, and the number of people in need vs pieces of shit gaming the system were easily a 10:1 ratio in favor of the pieces of shit.

Legit homeless people want normalcy.

A place to shower. A place to do laundry. etc.

A gym membership to Planet Fitness @ $10 was the best thing in the world.. I could shower whenever I wanted, and if absolutely needed, bring in a change of clothes and wear them as I showered to clean them, then hang them up to dry in my truck.

Another issue is, you have people with severe mental illness that seem normal, that can snap on you...

There are also people that are just lazy, and/or potheads, basement dwellers, etc that expect someone to take care of them.

Look at the left... We often ask 'How can a functional adult.....' and that's the thing, quite a few aren't functioning adults.

Right now, 'homeless' people drug addicted thieves, get $300+/month in food stamps, in addition to whatever other things they can con out of the system.... This includes SSI/State disability for having the 'disease' of addiction, which often nets $1200-1500 in cash a month.... and they choose to live in drug encampments and blow it on heroin and meth, until the money isn't enough to support their habits and they start stealing/robbing, etc.

The current system isn't set up to help homeless people, it's set up to keep them dependent on the system, and only facilitates misuse and abuse...

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
Union Gospel Mission are good places to start.

UGM is a bunch of shit.

From personal experience in quite a few different ways.

They basically take a shit ton of money from S/KC to provide blankets and hot chocolate, then move around people OUT OF SEATTLE into the suburbs, spreading the issue.

They will trespass on private property to serve the heroin addicts in their tents, giving them sack lunches and whatnot.

They bought a property in Federal Way and let it turn into a drug encampment, it got so bad that citizens had to step up, get the STATE involved over environmental concerns, and only THEN did they agree to clean the property out.. which took MULTIPLE days and multiple bulldozers and a dozen dump trucks to cart away all the stolen shit...

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alpine wrote:
If you really want to help them, get them arrested. Do whatever you need to (legally) to do it.

Let me elaborate. The Komo and King5 and Kiro7 pieces and shows and documentaries done on this over the years shows that 99.9% of all the 11,000~ or so "homeless" on the streets who refuse shelter are essentially all substance abusers and/or major mental health cases most of whom also abuse drugs. And when I say drugs I mean heavy narcotics.

Voluntary treatment doesn't work. The Rhode Island MAT interviews all show that, those inmates ALL said that if they hadn't been arrested they would have died on the street.

Let me tell you what happened to me.
As a child I watched one of my uncles descend into heroin and meth. He never held a steady job, was often asking family for money, he was in and out of treatment centers and jail, depending on the week. Eventually he died in his early 50s from several different conditions, mostly as a result of heroin and meth damage to his organs. His death was miserable, I will never forget seeing him in the hospital bed, hooked up to so many machines I could not count. His skin was pale and discolored, his eyes were droopy and lifeless. His hair was thinning and falling out. He looked like he was 100 years old, like a zombie. He was always writhing around in the bed moaning and jerking. The doctors told us he had used so many drugs that they thought it was making him resistant to the pain meds they were trying on him, and they were reluctant to use heavier ones. He lingered in that state for almost 2 months before his organs failed and he died. It was torture for him and for his family, us, to witness. This is how the heroin and meth stories really end. There are no successful 90 year-olds who are happy, retired and healthy who use heroin or meth. I remember my parents telling me how they begged and pleaded with authorities to keep our uncle locked up, that if he was in jail long enough he’d break the addiction. As it was the short stays and repeated failures in optional rehabs just prolonged his misery and eventual death.

Then I watched a cousin begin this journey. She had started out OK in life and even went to college, but then heroin got her so wrapped up that all she cared about was the drug. She began stealing and luckily, she eventually stole an expensive car and it forced her into prison in another state and cut off from her suppliers and friends. This saved her life. In prison she was forced to get clean and kick her addiction. Once she was out of the withdrawal period she recognized what had happened to her. Years later she is a productive member of society and has a new family and a career. If she had not spent over a year locked up she would have eventually died as well.

I am currently watching my nephew slowly die on heroin and meth. He started using drugs when he was 17. Unfortunately he also has a young daughter. He has never held a job down for more than 2 months, and most of the time he gets fired for failing drug tests or blowing off work or coming to work intoxicated. He began robbing people to support his drug habit, did some short time in local jail, but not enough to get clean. After he got out he disappeared into the “homeless” population. Occasionally he’ll surface on social media and send word to his parents, although the last time they heard from him was almost 2 years ago. When he started living on the streets everyone in our family begged and pleaded with 2 different regional county sheriffs to arrest him on any number of felony and misdemeanor drug and property offenses, even one violent charge. However the politically correct Puget Sound governments that wink and nod to the Homeless Industrial Complex would not act to save his life. Voluntary treatment does not work. We expect a call any day now that he is found dead on the side of the road somewhere, and there is nothing we can do to stop it.

Don't give them money. Don't give them any material or financial assistance. There is already a BILLION dollars LOCALLY a year spent on them helping them to kill themselves, which works out to almost 100 grand each, which is still higher than the median salary in WA, and that's insane. If you really want to help them, get them arrested for the crimes they commit and maybe you'll save their life. Maybe it won't save their life but it's literally their only chance.

^^^^EVERY FUCKING BIT OF THIS^^^^^^^^

:bow:

Thomas Paine wrote:

Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My sister also died this way, but it's too recent and too raw still for me to talk about it. Maybe in a few years.

What I want everyone to get from this is when you hear the bullshit liberal whining about "economic inequality" and "intersectional discrimination/hardship" that you recognize it for what it is. These liberals aren't just "homeless pimps," they are accessories to murder and I hold them partly responsible for the continued deaths. People caught up in heavy additions cannot reason for themselves, THAT'S WHY WE HAVE LAWS AGAINST NARCOTICS USE. But these "woke" drug use defenders who give out needles and help people to kill themselves want us to ignore the law and let people die.

They are sick. And frankly they deserve to be in prison as well.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Last edited by Alpine on Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alpine wrote:
My sister also died this way, but it's too recent and too raw still for me to talk about it. Maybe in a few years.

What I want everyone to get from this is when you hear the bullshit liberal whining about "economic inequality" and "intersectional discrimination/hardship" that you recognize it for what it is. These liberals aren't just homeless pumps, they are accessories to murder and I hold them partly responsible for the continued deaths. People caught up in heavy additions cannot reason for themselves, THAT'S WHY WE HAVE LAWS AGAINST NARCOTICS USE. But these "woke" drug use defenders who give out needles and help people to kill themselves want us to ignore the law and let people die.

They are sick. And frankly they deserve to be in prison as well.

Sorry you and she went through this... :bow:

Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alpine wrote:

So sorry to hear about this. I've seen addiction kill people close to me as well and I don't know if there is anything harder to deal with. It cuts straight to the core.

In another thread a while back we had a minor disagreement when I mentioned economic inequality and addiction, and I realize now that in my own zeal I may have hit a nerve. I'm sorry about that. I'm fighting a bad flu right now so I'm a little loopy, but I just want to say I hear you, and I think we're actually closer to being on the same page than maybe either of us realized at the time.

Bullshit identity politics just has us and so many other folks using terms that fire each other up so that assholes can keep up whatever racket they're in. Economic inequality, systemic discrimination, etc have been co-opted as terms/concepts for some really upsetting elite agendas. They mask the real systemic issues and perpetuate holding so many people across the entire spectrum of humanity in bad situations. Whether it's drug use, poverty, whatever. Even more unfortunately it's put us all on edge to the point that it makes it harder for us to come together as a people. Or in the scariest cases people are made to feel uncomfortable (or unsafe?!?!) to speak out and have an open conversation.

I'm getting a little far afield and I know I don't need to tell most of this to any of you. So bringing it back around this is why I (sadly) don't trust organizations "doing good" until I can see the proof in the pudding, and that they're not just another fake non-profit stealing people's money. I've been working in the non-profit world all over the place for getting close to 20 years now and it's infuriating how many don't do shit or are up to something, BUT there are lots of good ones out there. You just have to work harder than you should, and ask around just like OP is doing here to find them. At least we still have bastions like this to ask these questions and talk, there have been some great points and suggestions as a result.

Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Attachment:
264244005_655516322491946_5626660786510474688_n.jpg

Quote:
Our research into the Homeless Industrial Complex (HIC) began with a dig into Rep. Frank Chopp (43rd district). Frank Chopp was recently described as “the Architect” by Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan, and for good reason. Chopp has been central in constructing the Seattle area HIC.

In following the strand of his career in politics it became clear that we were attempting to unscramble a giant can of worms. This map represents a first attempt at that work.

The truth about it is that we are only scratching the surface. As we tugged at one strand ten more would appear, and it became apparent to us that we had to stop somewhere to give you an image that would be both visually accurate and not overwhelming. This is that image.

While Chopp may be the architect, it appears to us that the entire complex revolves around the Low Income Housing Institute (LIHI). LIHI has ties with nearly every other player on the map, including financial support from some surprising players such as Vulcan and the Gates Foundation (see citation 17).

While this appears to have been a road to hell paved with good intentions situation, we need to close by stipulating that just because an organization is included on this map does not automatically mean that it is doing wrong. This is an illustration that connections exist in a situation where desperate people can be exploited for political and economic gain. The mechanisms to do that are well established.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And some wonder why people lose faith in politics and experts. Thank you for sharing.

Not by any stretch the sole fix, but this is yet another great example of why we all need to try to get as involved/educated on local politics and small elections as we possibly can.

Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seattle nonprofit contractor shot meth with homeless woman he was tasked to help near school

Quote:
The nonprofit leader entrusted to clear the dangerous homeless encampment at Broadview-Thomson K-8 admits that he took meth with a homeless woman he was supposed to help.

Mike Mathias of the homeless advocacy nonprofit Anything Helps was selected by Seattle Public Schools to work with the approximately 70 homeless people living at the controversial Bitter Lake encampment. For over a year, the park attached to the school attracted sex workers, addicts, and at one point, even a sex offender. It posed a danger to the neighboring students, staff, parents, and parkgoers.

But in July of this year, roughly a week after Mathias officially took over the efforts at the encampment, he admits to the Jason Rantz Show on KTTH that he accepted a shot of meth from a member of the camp.

Does that help you understand how much of a fucking scam the whole homeless industrial complex is?

Thomas Paine wrote:

Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Attachment:
264244005_655516322491946_5626660786510474688_n.jpg

Quote:
Our research into the Homeless Industrial Complex (HIC) began with a dig into Rep. Frank Chopp (43rd district). Frank Chopp was recently described as “the Architect” by Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan, and for good reason. Chopp has been central in constructing the Seattle area HIC.

In following the strand of his career in politics it became clear that we were attempting to unscramble a giant can of worms. This map represents a first attempt at that work.

The truth about it is that we are only scratching the surface. As we tugged at one strand ten more would appear, and it became apparent to us that we had to stop somewhere to give you an image that would be both visually accurate and not overwhelming. This is that image.

While Chopp may be the architect, it appears to us that the entire complex revolves around the Low Income Housing Institute (LIHI). LIHI has ties with nearly every other player on the map, including financial support from some surprising players such as Vulcan and the Gates Foundation (see citation 17).

While this appears to have been a road to hell paved with good intentions situation, we need to close by stipulating that just because an organization is included on this map does not automatically mean that it is doing wrong. This is an illustration that connections exist in a situation where desperate people can be exploited for political and economic gain. The mechanisms to do that are well established.

Holy shit. Wow. Thank you for posting that. That speaks volumes.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is the voice of the HIC:
https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/em ... /#comments

No mention of drugs or addiction. Instead they claim people refuse shelter because of pets and concerns about storing their junk. Seriously. They claim that. Do you know what would happen to the average law abiding citizen if they attempted to keep pets in squalor like that? Animal cruelty charges.

Oh, and they also blame RACISM.
Quote:
No one should be forced to live in parks or on sidewalks. To solve this problem, it’s important for us to try and understand why people might stay in a park rather than accept an offer of shelter. Choosing to live in most shelters often means abandoning partners, pets, privacy and possessions. It can also mean facing violence, theft and exposure to illness. The reality is our current shelter system is woefully unprepared to address these concerns.

Our country’s homelessness crisis is rooted decades of failed housing policy, a grossly insufficient health care system, rising inequality, and decreasing social mobility, all which sit on a foundation of systemic racism.

So as you can see, they lie and lie and lie. It's not racism, it's not pets, it's DRUGS. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Also, the HIC continually gets egg on its face for spending a BILLION dollars a year on a tiny 11,000~ people, so now they are abandoning the federal standards and requirements for counting "homeless" and creating a new counting method that they expect to inflate the number to over 40,000. When you can't win, you cook the books.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... -reported/

Quote:

Quote:

Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Jefferson County Commissioner Kate Dean was one of the most vocal supporters of this absurd project. She was also on the Board of Directors of Homeward Bound, a mostly inactive non-profit the city resurrected and funded to take over the Cherry Street project. Both local print newspapers supported the project. Most elected officials here represent non-profits - not residents. Many serve on non-profit boards. They use taxpayer funds to buy commercial property, then gift it to non-profits.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good for you on willing to help others.

Personally I don't help panhandlers. I think of it like feeding the birds at a park if you don't want them in your neighborhood don't give them a reason to stay.

Now if I was going to help a local church had the idea of zip lock bags filled with travel toothbrush, toothpaste, candy bars. Add water and a couple of bucks if you wish. Hand that out to people standing at the stop lights.

Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next