Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:16 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Ahmaud Arbery Trial 

I'll comment only on what I know, I know that they did not have to corner Abery, they could have simply followed at a safe distance while remaining in contact with the police during the pursuit.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
bubblewhip wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
Dude was seen running from a house under construction that had been burglarized.

He then assaulted the men trying to detain him, and tried to take one of their guns.

I'm pretty sure this is the part that justifies the verdict.

Let me approach it another way.

If an officer tried to detain him, based on RAS, and it was a uniformed officer that was assaulted, and had his weapon attempted to be taken, would it still be murder?

How do your Super Citizen arrests work out? How often donthe Cops give a shit when you save the world? Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Shit can happen. This is a perfect case if that.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:20 pm

Good riddance. 3 fewer lowlives free on the streets.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Georgia's previous citizens arrest statute arguably justified their actions, and if Arbery did indeed charge at McMichaels and try to take his gun, there might be a valid self defense claim.

That being said, the jury was charged with weighing credibility, and clearly didn't believe they were just trying to execute a citizens arrest.

I don't know beyond a reasonable doubt if they're guilty of murder or not. But I do believe that, more likely than not, they were chasing and ultimately killed Arbery because of racial animus and not because of the fact that he was a burglar. And I will lose no sleep over their conviction.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:11 pm

If it wasn't for that released video, nothing would have happened that's just wild to think about. Let's not forget they were originally not going to be charged because there wasn't enough evidence so these guys would be walking around free without any punishment. Get those damn slimy cops on trial for that coverup, they should rot behind bars. Good thing one of those idiots thought the video would clear their name.

Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You break into my house I don't have a problem shooting somebody. Even if he did enter a house under construction with bad intent, he was running away with nothing in his hand he was not a threat. Just call 911 and be a good witness.
So I'm glad for the KR trial, and happy for this guilty verdict.

Last edited by golddigger14s on Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
You break into my house I don't have a problem shooting somebody. Even if he did enter a house under construction was bad intent, he was running away with nothing in his hand he was not a threat. Just call 911 and be a good witness.
So I'm glad for the KR trial, and happy for this guilty verdict.

Don't forget about the Andrew Coffee IV case. There were several appropriate verdicts on major cases over the past week.

Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

í think the prosecutor was really good. In this video she explains how you can't claim citizen arrest unless you're witness yourself of a crime. Also, you can't claim self defense if the situation comes after you commit felonies like how they chased him down like a rat with their vehicles. She makes the clarification the law in GA state. I wonder how different is it from WA law.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv1CcIVB-x4

Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:04 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

scrid2000 wrote:

clearly didn't believe they were just trying to execute a citizens arrest.

If they just wanted to kill him, why did they bother calling 911?

"Were fixing on killing this guy. How soon can the police be here to arrest us?"

Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:53 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Guntrader wrote:
scrid2000 wrote:

clearly didn't believe they were just trying to execute a citizens arrest.

If they just wanted to kill him, why did they bother calling 911?

"Were fixing on killing this guy. How soon can the police be here to arrest us?"

Were they charged with premeditated murder?

Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:55 pm
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Travis was convicted of Malice Murder, which is the equivalent of Murder 1 in other states. It is a capital offense.
"that deliberate intention unlawfully to take the life of another human being which is manifested by external circumstances capable of proof." Malice is implied when "no considerable provocation appears and where all the circumstances of the killing show an abandoned and malignant heart."
https://www.baslg.com/criminal/malice-murder.html
Haven't followed the trial. How can one guy be convicted of 4 counts of felony murder?
Because felony murder is murder that occurred as a result or during the commission of a felony.
Since he was also convicted of other lesser felonies, each one comes with a felony murder charge.

Last edited by Guntrader on Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jorgeu wrote:
í think the prosecutor was really good. In this video she explains how you can't claim citizen arrest unless you're witness yourself of a crime. Also, you can't claim self defense if the situation comes after you commit felonies like how they chased him down like a rat with their vehicles. She makes the clarification the law in GA state. I wonder how different is it from WA law.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv1CcIVB-x4

In WA, you can arrest for misdemeanor that constitutes breach of peace if you witness it.

You only need PC to arrest for a felony, and don't have to witness it.

Also, resisting a citizen's arrest isn't 'resisting arrest', but is assault 3, which is a felony.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2