Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:13 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Vault doors - Suggestions? 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

We’ll be moving into our new home this week and I’ll finally have a space to construct a vault room. I’ve been reading up on vault wall construction for the 2 walls that aren’t concrete foundation but there isn’t a whole lot of first hand info on vault doors. Any of you guys used them? Thoughts? Recommendations?

Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had a buddy put one in like 10 years ago.

He went through NW Safe in Enumclaw.
It’s not cheap but they install and it’s opens like a dream.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:24 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Construct a CMU wall for the wall that is going to hold the vault door.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:27 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

oldkim wrote:
Had a buddy put one in like 10 years ago.

He went through NW Safe in Enumclaw.
It’s not cheap but they install and it’s opens like a dream.

Thanks Young. I’ll look into nw safe

Massivedesign wrote:

I may have to pick your brain on how to do that with an existing ceiling above the wall. I’ve read that rebar reinforced stud wall with chicken wire layered over with concrete board are a good option. Not sure how well I could get the vault door fasteners to bite into masonry block or how to stack and fill them with a ceiling above them.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is from 3 years ago. David, owner (well son of owner)
6’ 6”

Also good to see how one would be ideally placed in a bunker.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Buddy used a Fort Knox door on his vault

I plan on using the Graffunder C, E or F rated door

https://graffundersafes.com/products/vault-doors/

Made in Yakima WA :thumbsup2:

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:49 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The cursory reading I've done, I will be using NW Safe. The door will cost more than the whole rest of the project combined, but will be a much safer and secure option than my previous plan of a steel commercial door and reinforced jamb/walls.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:58 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sinus211 wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:

I may have to pick your brain on how to do that with an existing ceiling above the wall. I’ve read that rebar reinforced stud wall with chicken wire layered over with concrete board are a good option. Not sure how well I could get the vault door fasteners to bite into masonry block or how to stack and fill them with a ceiling above them.

You secure the CMU to the ground (epoxy anchor bolts) and to the side walls (wood furring with all-thread sticking into the CMU). You don't attach to the ceiling, end the CMU just below (then you can add a furred wall in front of the CMU that goes all the way up to the ceiling).

You only really need to fill the cells that the door attaches to, but I would do the whole thing. You do that by making holes at the top cells and then pumping grout in.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:03 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this month's American Rifleman has an advert for snapdoor.com, (a Hornady company), vault doors.

looks like they also have snap together safes that are "as secure as a welded safe".

https://snapsafe.com/

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:25 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

While that’s interesting I’m looking at securing a 8’ x 14’ space. Looks like it’s more geared towards building an irregular specd safe than securing a walk in room. Did I misinterpret?

Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:12 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

We have snap safes at work in some of our offices. Easy to assemble, but nowhere near the rigidity or feel of a real safe. Also provides shit for fire rating.

For a large home collection, these are not the safes you are looking for.

Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:19 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
While that’s interesting I’m looking at securing a 8’ x 14’ space. Looks like it’s more geared towards building an irregular specd safe than securing a walk in room. Did I misinterpret?

They also offer vault doors

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
We have snap safes at work in some of our offices. Easy to assemble, but nowhere near the rigidity or feel of a real safe. Also provides shit for fire rating.

For a large home collection, these are not the safes you are looking for.

I'm not defending them - I only yesterday saw the advert and I'm not selling so I have nothing at stake - but only wish to discuss...

One of their most prominently touted features is their (Snapsafe's) fire rating. Was your comment, in re fire rating, a general assessment of modular safes, a comment about the ones at work, or on Snapsafes?

I think they claim good to 2400* but I don't recall a time rating.

As for security, many of us saw how Dana's RSD was breached and removed. icon_eek and I don't recall that his was a "cheap" RSD, and Hornady/Snapsafe claims "as secure as a welded safe". So, I'm not sure that it's that much of an issue as far as RSD's go. If a guy can, and is prepared to break into one of these, they're probably capable of cracking your welded case? The only best step is to step up a notch on security rating above that of Residential Security Devices.

FJB

Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:50 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sure. The box can withstand 2400 degrees…. But it’s also about as airtight as a window screen. So the inside will also be 2400 degrees.

If you want a better build stack-on. This is it. As I said we use them at work, but don’t keep mission critical files or drives in them. Just for personal storage of everyday items that our company supports us having.

Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:36 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do something cool, like a 2" slab of AR500 on rollers that slides into the steel clad wall. 4" diameter full door perimeter locking lugs motor driven , digital keypad for powering it up for open/close cycles. Secret squirrel manual crank mechanism hidden away for the power outages, or when you are too fucked up to remember your password.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next