Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Buying a new TV, help/advice 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Start with your particulars
1. Size.
2. Max Price.
3. How bright is your room: max TV brightness.
4. Do you watch lots of things in the dark: contrast ratio.
5. Using Rting, they are pretty good.
6. All brands have issues. Read about the Samsung KS family of TV's priced 1k-3k that all dies after 3 years on AVS forums.

Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:25 pm

My last TV purchase, prior to the Toshiba, was a $3000+ LG OLED TV about 4 years ago. The ex got that. Was the picture of the $3000 TV really good? Hell yeah. Was it $2500 better than the $500 Toshiba? Hell no. All I wanted was something that I could watch some brainless entertainment on. The Toshiba does that in spades, with the bonus of having a really good picture. If/when it dies or becomes obsolete, I can buy another one. AND, I can do that six times for the price of the LG. My days of spending stupid money on electronics are over. They go obsolete much too fast and you can't even repair most of them when they break.

Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beretta Dave wrote:
My last TV purchase, prior to the Toshiba, was a $3000+ LG OLED TV about 4 years ago. The ex got that. Was the picture of the $3000 TV really good? Hell yeah. Was it $2500 better than the $500 Toshiba? Hell no. All I wanted was something that I could watch some brainless entertainment on. The Toshiba does that in spades, with the bonus of having a really good picture. If/when it dies or becomes obsolete, I can buy another one. AND, I can do that six times for the price of the LG. My days of spending stupid money on electronics are over. They go obsolete much too fast and you can't even repair most of them when they break.

I don't think I'll ever (need to) spend over a grand on any next tv I might need. Most of the Samsungs I've seen at the $500~700 look just fine to me.

Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

4k vrs 8k yes I know it has 2 the pixels but looking I really don't see a difference and not gonna sit 5 ft from the tv.

I happen to run into this..
8k 4k
UHD Blu-Ray No Yes
Netflix No Yes
Amazon Video No Yes
Vudu No Yes
YouTube Yes Yes
OTA Antenna No Yes
Game Consoles No Yes
PC Games Yes Yes

Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cmica wrote:
4k vrs 8k yes I know it has 2 the pixels but looking I really don't see a difference and not gonna sit 5 ft from the tv.

I happen to run into this..
8k 4k
UHD Blu-Ray No Yes
Netflix No Yes
Amazon Video No Yes
Vudu No Yes
YouTube Yes Yes
OTA Antenna No Yes
Game Consoles No Yes
PC Games Yes Yes

I don't know anyone that has 8K vision.

Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
Beretta Dave wrote:

I don't think I'll ever (need to) spend over a grand on any next tv I might need. Most of the Samsungs I've seen at the $500~700 look just fine to me.

If I ever spend a grand on an entertainment device, it better wash my trucks after it sucks me off. :wink05:

Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't own a television, so I can't help you. Heard you smoke a mean turkey though.

Divided we fall.

Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:49 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

OhShoot! wrote:
I don't own a television, so I can't help you. Heard you smoke a mean turkey though.

Funny, I heard you smoke a mean sausage. :4couple:

Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OhShoot! wrote:

Oh, you just read, good for you...

JK, I actually don't have a TV right now because my wife took it

Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
OhShoot! wrote:

Funny, I heard you smoke a mean sausage. :4couple:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Divided we fall.

Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's it. Had absolutely ENOUGH of the shit LG interface. Never powering up to the same place, coming on seemingly randomly, way way way more difficult than a 15 year old with microtwitch gaming muscles could handle to simply select a streaming service. I mean there is absolutely NOTHING to like about the LG interface. I don't think they could say with a straight face this thing is worthy of production release.

Bought the Roku high speed unit.

Oh man. This is gonna sound weird, but even the picture is more crisp. Setting up is bone easy. Yeah you need dig out the passwords.

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
That's it. Had absolutely ENOUGH of the shit LG interface. Never powering up to the same place, coming on seemingly randomly, way way way more difficult than a 15 year old with microtwitch gaming muscles could handle to simply select a streaming service. I mean there is absolutely NOTHING to like about the LG interface. I don't think they could say with a straight face this thing is worthy of production release.

Bought the Roku high speed unit.

Oh man. This is gonna sound weird, but even the picture is more crisp. Setting up is bone easy. Yeah you need dig out the passwords.

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

A TV really should be nothing more than a giant computer monitor. Now speakers, no "smart tv" bullshit. You want audio? Buy a sound bar or home theater system. You want a online streaming service? Buy a Roku or Amazon FireTV or some bullshit.

Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:31 pm

I make professional videos for a living.

Almost nobody can tell the difference between HD and 4K. 8K is a waste of time and money, unless you are buying an 80” TV you’ll be watching outside during the daytime.

Most providers still mostly broadcast/stream in regular HD. There is a lot of 4K out, and it is pretty much the standard for current productions. People shoot on 8K, but only so they can crop shots.

Bandwidth is another consideration. Pushing 4K is nearly double that of HD. 8K is 3.5x HD. You need some decent download speeds to stream all 8K content.

The other thing to look for is HDR. There are like a dozen different standards for HDR. If you are running something like a Roku/FireStick/etc. which only supports one standard of HDR, but your TV doesn’t support that standard…no HDR for you.

Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3