Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
 Ford Maverick aka Truck 

I think we all should be pissed as hell that we can't get a 3.0 liter turbo diesel Toyota HiLux or Prado..... They seem to pretty legendary OUS --- and I bet they are stout as hell with a manual.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw one in a Home Depot Parking lot yesterday. With the caveat that I did not sit in, nor test drive it, I was impressed with its looks.
I'd consider one for a commuter or home owner use.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
I saw one in a Home Depot Parking lot yesterday. With the caveat that I did not sit in, nor test drive it, I was impressed with its looks.
I'd consider one for a commuter or home owner use.

So you really are a nice guy after all?!? :bigsmile:

Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

zombie66 wrote:
Because everyone called them "Exploders", Duh!!!!!

Im sorry but every time I hear about a Ford Maverick I fucking cringe as my dad had one and holy hell what huge POS that was, I think he threw more wrenches at that Maverick than he turned on it.

the original Maverick was nothing more than a rebodied Mustang, fine cars, but like any early 70's car, they were loaded up with so much smog equipment they could hardly get out of their own way

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:30 am
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

TINCANBANDIT wrote:
zombie66 wrote:

Im sorry but every time I hear about a Ford Maverick I fucking cringe as my dad had one and holy hell what huge POS that was, I think he threw more wrenches at that Maverick than he turned on it.

the original Maverick was nothing more than a rebodied Mustang, fine cars, but like any early 70's car, they were loaded up with so much smog equipment they could hardly get out of their own way

Yeah, Mustang II though, which is worse than the 60's Mustangs.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

as for the truck, they are fine, but they should be considered a second truck

Trust me on this, if you own only one truck, make it a full size 3/4 or 1 ton. If not you will be constantly asking the truck to do more than it is capable of doing, which is dangerous.....ask me how I know this.

Now if you live in a condo or apartment, have no yard and the biggest chore you do is a monthly trip to Costco or a trip to a local ski resort, then by all means buy a mini-truck

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:47 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WaJim wrote:
TINCANBANDIT wrote:
zombie66 wrote:

I dunno, thousands of street rods use Mustang II suspension......and you can swap out the 8" rear for a Granada/Versailles 9"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:49 am
Profile WWW

My opinion is that the Ford Maverick hits the market at the right time. Take myself for example, for about 20 years after migrating to the US, I lived in California and an urban setting working in the tech industry. Like many in similar situation, we don't need a truck. We live in highly urbanized cities and pay HOA to maintain our property's exterior. Vehicles for us are typically sports sedan with with summer tires or SUVs for the occasional trip to vacation destinations.

Then the pandemic hit and many in similar situation such as myself, decided to move away from crowded Californian cities. We found ourselves now owning a much larger property and maintaining the property typically means I sometimes need to haul a load of topsoil, sand, gravel or mulch etc. Instead of a sedan or SUV as a 2nd vehicle, a small truck like the Ford Maverick is suddenly very interesting to us. Something to haul things too dirty or difficult to do with a SUV around and also function as a spare vehicle.

Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:14 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

TINCANBANDIT wrote:
WaJim wrote:
TINCANBANDIT wrote:
zombie66 wrote:

I dunno, thousands of street rods use Mustang II suspension......and you can swap out the 8" rear for a Granada/Versailles 9"

Yup...those brakes are pretty small for anything large like a Galaxie and i've heard with the rack n pinion it makes the turning radius suck.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TINCANBANDIT wrote:

I've started to refer to it as Pinto suspension to my street rod friends, since they are almost the same.

Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bigbearbear wrote:
My opinion is that the Ford Maverick hits the market at the right time. Take myself for example, for about 20 years after migrating to the US, I lived in California and an urban setting working in the tech industry. Like many in similar situation, we don't need a truck. We live in highly urbanized cities and pay HOA to maintain our property's exterior. Vehicles for us are typically sports sedan with with summer tires or SUVs for the occasional trip to vacation destinations.

Then the pandemic hit and many in similar situation such as myself, decided to move away from crowded Californian cities. We found ourselves now owning a much larger property and maintaining the property typically means I sometimes need to haul a load of topsoil, sand, gravel or mulch etc. Instead of a sedan or SUV as a 2nd vehicle, a small truck like the Ford Maverick is suddenly very interesting to us. Something to haul things too dirty or difficult to do with a SUV around and also function as a spare vehicle.

Colorado, Tacoma, or Ranger that has a 6ft bed that can actually move something useful like a mattress or couch

Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Taco has a 6' bed and is very useful. I haul yards of dirt, furniture, tow (lighter) trailers... very handy and all gets decent hwy mileage

Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love my Colorado. 6 ft bed, full frame 4x4 with quad cab. It's a Truck, it's a Car, it's off road and Snow capable.

No car chassis with a 4 ft bed thank you.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:22 pm

bubblewhip wrote:
Colorado, Tacoma, or Ranger that has a 6ft bed that can actually move something useful like a mattress or couch

Those "traditional" pickup trucks are more expensive and just a tad "too much truck" for me. What I want, is more of a gardening tool that also functions as a backup vehicle to my primary one (which is a SUV); something that will always sit in the garage until I need to do some yard work and haul some material from the local hardware store or gardening supplies retailer. It will most likely spend most of its time in the garage with a CTEK battery charger connected to it, just like my current backup vehicle.

If I need to move something that the little pickup cannot handle, which is extremely rare, I'll either go rent a U-haul box truck or have it delivered for me.

And I think this is part of what makes the Ford Maverick such an attractive product, new suburban home owners like myself who never had a need for a truck but now finding a small one that is both affordable and capable enough for our modest requirements.

Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bigbearbear wrote:
bubblewhip wrote:

Those "traditional" pickup trucks are more expensive and just a tad "too much truck" for me. What I want, is more of a gardening tool that also functions as a backup vehicle to my primary one (which is a SUV); something that will always sit in the garage until I need to do some yard work and haul some material from the local hardware store or gardening supplies retailer. It will most likely spend most of its time in the garage with a CTEK battery charger connected to it, just like my current backup vehicle.

If I need to move something that the little pickup cannot handle, which is extremely rare, I'll either go rent a U-haul box truck or have it delivered for me.

And I think this is part of what makes the Ford Maverick such an attractive product, new suburban home owners like myself who never had a need for a truck but now finding a small one that is both affordable and capable enough for our modest requirements.

The Ford Mavrick is 200 inches long. The Second Gen rangers that ran to 2011 were that length with a 6ft bed and an extended cab. The 2015 Toyota Tacoma with a 5ft bed and a double cab is 208 inches long which for the extra 6 inches in bed length is what gets you there.

This demand for a smaller truck shouldn't have been to make a car with a flatbed, the outgrowth was due to the mid size trucks becoming longer with the current Colarado and Ranger being 212 inches which was the length of the F-150 a decade ago.

Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next