Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Need a new bank 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dreadi wrote:
Timberland Bank
Edit: I re-read your post. If you don’t need brick and mortar and primarily do it all on line, Charles Schwab Bank is good way to go.

Charles Schwab for overseas and anything that doesn't involve going to the bank. Check Cashing via App, and refunds ATM fees and no foreign transaction fees. Rates used to be much better for checking, but keep most in their money markets and easy to transfer.

I keep Navy Federal for walk in, but mostly use BECU as part of Coop network.

Dropped USAA as their brokerage arm sucked and was taken up by Schwab, plus they refund fees not as well as Schwab.

Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BECU fucked with one of our members here who operates an FFL.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:48 pm

For a bank it is hard to talk negative against Timberland. They have branches all over and their online banking it so easy even I can do it.

Credit unions are preferred, with shared branching and the NCUA you get access to your money from thousands of partner ATMs and can use other CUs brick and mortar locations that are part of the network.

WSECU is closing for Juneteenth. BECU went full retard a long time ago they are not supporters of the right to bear arms.

Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:25 pm

I am with Banner Bank. I used to ride my Triumph to the bank to deposit my SSI checks. They saw my carry weapon many times because of how the butt rides inside my vest. Never said boo. Their online banking is great and they have this protection plan so if you make a purchase and it gets routed to an over seas account the purchase is blocked. If I need to make an international purchase I just call and let them know and the feature is unlocked for how many days I state and then put back on.

My Ebay account was hacked. Banner stopped the purchases the hacker made notified me that they had locked the account by email and the next day I had a new credit card in hand.

Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will NEVER go back to banks. I love credit unions. I have accounts with both Verity and Sound credit unions and like them both. Good online banking apps and you can essentially bank via any credit union with shared banking. Verity also refunds ATM fees charged by non member atms each month, up to like $30.

Verity has better rates than Sound, but has fewer physical locations. I just use Sound physical locations for all my banking though.

I would definitely recommend a credit union over a bank for sure.

Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:29 am
FFL / Dealer

Just to re-iterate what Madpick said, BECU gave me a hard time applying for a business credit card for
my FFL.

Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:55 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

mash man wrote:
if you are military in any way USAA is the way to go.

Pretty much if anyone you're related to is/was military, you should be eligible to join USAA. If you're looking for an online bank, they're darn good. Coupled with their insurance, it's a great way to go.

Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I switched from Chase to US bank and I have not been unhappy about it.

Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:02 pm

I have nothing but good things to say about BECU. I have or have had mortgages and auto loans through them, as well as my checking and savings. I have zero complaints.

Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pretty confident you’re going to get plenty of mixed reviews/recommendations regardless of financial institution. If you strictly base your decision on a Bank or CU’s ‘political’ stance, than I think you’re setting yourself up for disappointment - many will disagree with my statement which is fine.

Hopefully you are looking for a place that meets most if not all of your banking requirements with minimal drama. I’ve been a big fan of Credit Unions over the past 20+ years and would highly recommend USAA or PenFed if you do mostly online - all transactions life to date have been drama-free. I also use one of the large banks and will say they truly create way more grief than necessary, so avoid as much as possible. (I truly hate BOA)

Anyhow,Good luck!

Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glacier Bank in Montana. :bigsmile:

Seriously, my son had an account with BECU.

Since he no longer lives in WA state and is no longer a student, he cannot open a BECU account without being a resident EVEN THOUGH he had a joint account with us.

That's okay though, during his graduation week, I didn't want to see a stripper club entry fee charged against his account. So I no longer see his transactions through BECU. icon_eek

Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had horrible experiences with Timberland bank as a contractor. So much so that I had to start charging a fee if a client used them for financing

I generally lean towards a credit union (I'm at Sound right now) but there are some drawbacks. My business model involved doing large jobs then getting paid with a big check upon completion. Credit unions don't process those the same as the banks. Chase would clear the check electronically the night after I deposited. A credit union will put a hold on it and make me wait a week before getting access to that money

ETA- I forgot to talk about USAA

I would be leery of USAA. They used to be the gold standard if you could get in. Lately I think they have been having problems and I don't know what their future is. They shut down investment accounts completely and shifted them to Charles Schwab over a year ago. I would not be surprised if insurance goes next

Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Locally we use and like WECU. But they have quaint limits on transfers and such.

We pretty much use Fidelity for everything except a couple local bills.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:41 pm

RocketScott wrote:
I've had horrible experiences with Timberland bank as a contractor. So much so that I had to start charging a fee if a client used them for financing

That is disheartening. Can you elaborate further? We are looking at doing a remodel as soon as some lumber prices fall.

Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

zipties wrote:
That is disheartening. Can you elaborate further? We are looking at doing a remodel as soon as some lumber prices fall.

I'll try to keep this short, and things may have changed. I've come really close to losing my shit in a Timberland Bank more than once...

Timberland doesn't release money to the client to pay contractors. They give the client 'vouchers'

To pay a contractor the client fills out a voucher and signs it. The contractor then must take that voucher into a Timberland branch to get a check (a branch not-so-convenient to them, during bank hours)

Transferring the voucher into a check isn't as easy and handing one piece of paper across the counter and getting another one back. They call the client to verify, if the client doesn't answer you don't get a check. They also push a bunch of paperwork across the counter to try and get the contractor to sign away any right to sue or place a lien on the project. If the payment is only a partial payment (say 50% completion) the paperwork doesn't reflect that, they want a lien release for the entire amount. They also wanted to see proof of license, bond, and insurance (not a huge deal, I just don't carry all that around because it's online)

All the while I've got the VP of contractor accounts trying to sell me on becoming part of their 'network'. "You know, If you had an account here this would go right into it". Not really selling it as I sit here waiting for a check that I should already have

Their paperwork is akin to renegotiating the terms of a contract, and their process is a scam. My visits there have ended with me not signing anything and threatening them with litigation if I didn't get paid. By the third time, getting evermore hostile, everything went somewhat smoothly

Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next