Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:38 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Rental Car Deals 

Hi All:

I am in a softball tournament in Reno in 3 weeks and just looked at the rates for rental cars and they are very high. Does anyone know of a rental car company that has coupons or ???

James

Mon May 10, 2021 8:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mabey look at buying a POS and leaving in the side of the road afterwords, or let some random sell it for a cut??? Or uber?

Mon May 10, 2021 9:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

have you tried looking at turo?

Mon May 10, 2021 9:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you’re a Costco member, you could see if their discount rates are any better...

https://www.costcotravel.com/Rental-Cars

Mon May 10, 2021 9:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JamesG wrote:
Hi All:

I am in a softball tournament in Reno in 3 weeks and just looked at the rates for rental cars and they are very high. Does anyone know of a rental car company that has coupons or ???

James

There is a nationwide shortage of Rental Car's due to Covid and them being sold off by the rental companies. (or it's a smokescreen and they are just trying to recoup money...Lol)
They can't replace them fast enough either due to the Chip shortage for new cars.

shaggy wrote:
Mabey look at buying a POS and leaving in the side of the road afterwords, or let some random sell it for a cut??? Or uber?

Yeah, even used car prices are high right now due to the same reasons. You should buy this, drive to Reno and back then sell it when you get home.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=121680

Or try what NWG suggested with Costco or the "Turo" thing mentioned by Bubblewhip.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon May 10, 2021 11:00 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can do what they did in Hawaii... Rent a U-Haul.

Tue May 11, 2021 5:00 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We are looking at a similar trip. The answer was...Drive our car.

Tue May 11, 2021 5:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:

Yup. I've done this a couple times when I needed a rental.

They have pickups and vans. Not great if you have kids and whatever but if it's just 1 or 2 people, can't beat $20/day.

I don't know if they still do this, but Budget used to rent pickup trucks, and if you selected a dropoff location that was different than your pickup location (even in the same city), it calculated the mileage between the 2 spots, and added a certain %, and gave you a flat rate price, 'unlimited miles'.... I had the truck for about a week, paid a little over $100, and they were like 'WTF, this said you were only driving 20 miles', and I put like 5k miles on it.. Contract said unlimited miles.. and computer didn't question why it was gonna take 6 days to drive 18 miles (or whatever it was) :ROFLMAO:

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Tue May 11, 2021 3:56 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.

James

Tue May 11, 2021 7:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:

They have pickups and vans. Not great if you have kids and whatever but if it's just 1 or 2 people, can't beat $20/day.

I don't know if they still do this, but Budget used to rent pickup trucks, and if you selected a dropoff location that was different than your pickup location (even in the same city), it calculated the mileage between the 2 spots, and added a certain %, and gave you a flat rate price, 'unlimited miles'.... I had the truck for about a week, paid a little over $100, and they were like 'WTF, this said you were only driving 20 miles', and I put like 5k miles on it.. Contract said unlimited miles.. and computer didn't question why it was gonna take 6 days to drive 18 miles (or whatever it was) :ROFLMAO:

If you are going that route you can even try Home Depot, they rent trucks too.

Tue May 11, 2021 7:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wetpaperbag wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:

If you are going that route you can even try Home Depot, they rent trucks too.

By the hour, IIRC.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Tue May 11, 2021 8:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've found http://www.Priceline.com to give the best deals and then I enter the deal into this and have it monitor for a cheaper rate - https://www.autoslash.com/track

Tue May 11, 2021 8:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:

They are limiting rentals to like 24 hours now, they caught on to that awhile back there.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue May 11, 2021 11:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What tournament are you guys playing in?

Wed May 12, 2021 11:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rented a car in Vegas recently , reservation through Expedia, when we got to Vegas the price was higher, take it or leave it. I'm not a fan of car rental companies, 2 trips in 12 months and both time fuck fuck games were played with the costs being higher than quoted at my expense. If it wasnt tax deductible business trips I would be pissed about the whole thing, as is - I just write it off and move on.

Wed May 12, 2021 5:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next