Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:00 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Bill to Legalize Switchblades 

I used to carry a full auto benchmade that I loved. I ended up losing it somewhere and never bought another. I would definitely grap another though if it were legal to carry around here

Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:16 am

I am in for it, but this seems like a hard nut to crack

Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://blademag.com/knife-history/why- ... es-illegal

“Vicious fantasies of omnipotence, idolatry… barbaric and sadistic atrocities, and monstrous violations of the accepted values spring from the cult of the weapon, and the switchblade knife is included in this. Minus switchblade knives and distorted feeling of power they beget – power that is swaggering, reckless, and itching to express itself in violence – our delinquent adolescents would be shorn of one of their most potent means of incitement to crime.” –Representative Sidney R. Yates of Illinois, 1958

Fast-forward to November, 1950. Subscribers all over the U.S. received their new copy of Woman’s Home Companion. It contained one of the most lurid examples of anti-knife muckraking to ever be written, an article titled, The Toy That Kills. Jack Harrison Pollack, a freelance writer and ghostwriter for then-Senator Harry S. Truman, wrote the article. He filled it with a number of quotes and statistics without ever referencing a single citation. Even in today’s digital world, we have a hard time finding many facts to back up Pollack’s claims.

The Toy That Kills:
https://www.bklynlibrary.org/blog/2015/04/03/toy-kills

Also:
https://gizmodo.com/why-switchblades-ar ... 1704050416

Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:33 am

Beretta Dave wrote:
Readily and easily available within 5 minutes of the first exit off of I5 after you cross the Columbia. They don't care where you live when you pull out your money.

This is mine

You talkin' auto knife or a 12" dick?

Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:44 am

Assisted openers are just as fast and legal in this state. My kershaw blur flys out of my hand. Banning switchblades is like banning nunchucks, something to make soccer moms feel good without actually having to put forth the work to prevent crime, or god forbid get off their butts to make the world a better place. I'll be glad if this passes, finally something of common sense comes out of the Washington legislature.

Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really the hope of getting liberals onboard is framing that this ban disproportionately affects the disabled with no appreciable benefit for public safety. The access of automatic knives is not what contributes to violent crime or its legality, and automatic knives are important tools for people with disabilities or limited dexterity and fine motor skills.

Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:32 pm
FFL / Dealer

Having carried a few microtechs and a benchmade infidel, I like my autos to be flippers.

Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:00 am

bubblewhip wrote:
Really the hope of getting liberals onboard is framing that this ban disproportionately affects the disabled with no appreciable benefit for public safety. The access of automatic knives is not what contributes to violent crime or its legality, and automatic knives are important tools for people with disabilities or limited dexterity and fine motor skills.

Funny you mention that because that's actually how I framed part of my expression of support for the bill that I sent to my reps and senator

Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:44 pm

jackass wrote:
https://blademag.com/knife-history/why-are-switchblades-illegal

“Vicious fantasies of omnipotence, idolatry… barbaric and sadistic atrocities, and monstrous violations of the accepted values spring from the cult of the weapon, and the switchblade knife is included in this. Minus switchblade knives and distorted feeling of power they beget – power that is swaggering, reckless, and itching to express itself in violence – our delinquent adolescents would be shorn of one of their most potent means of incitement to crime.” –Representative Sidney R. Yates of Illinois, 1958

Also:
https://gizmodo.com/why-switchblades-ar ... 1704050416

I love those histrionics. Don't have any actual basis to back this up with? Might as well just make up something that sounds like it was pulled from a Greek tragedy

Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not that old, perhaps someone is older than I who was around at that time. But it appears they were originally passed around the 1950s because of fears of hoodlums with switchblades.

Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:58 pm

They were outlawed because the Hell's angels and other motorcycle gangs were "known" to favor them. The same fervor that calls for the ban of assault weapons. If you actually look at an Italian made Stilleto, you can see that they aren't suited for anything but opening your mail, but it looked evil so they banned it. Sound familiar?

Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not that old, but being in the knife community earlier, as far as I know these original laws were made due to the popularity of the broadway musical West Side Story. There are a few other movies like The Warriors, and The Fonz which not using a real switchblade sorta influenced that "no gangster is complete without an Italian Stiletto" look. But we do know that West Side Story started it all. If you noticed the years of the original representatives talking about the epidemic of switchblades they coincide directly when West Side Story was the biggest thing on Broadway.

Was there any real data that actual gangsters used it? It's kind of this chicken and egg scenario or life imitates art. We aren't sure if movies were portraying the authentic life of gangsters or if the media was influencing gangsters to purchase the fashion accessories the movies associated with them. More than likely it's kind of like how the UK banned anything "ninja" related that it was off of a media hysteria than anything that actually existed.

Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ace wrote:
Assisted openers are just as fast and legal in this state. My kershaw blur flys out of my hand. Banning switchblades is like banning nunchucks, something to make soccer moms feel good without actually having to put forth the work to prevent crime, or god forbid get off their butts to make the world a better place. I'll be glad if this passes, finally something of common sense comes out of the Washington legislature.

Yep. Kershaw Avalanche for me (now discontinued).

I wish technology solved people issues. It seems to just reveal them.

Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually reading through it, it seems to be a liberal initiative and has a high chance of passing. The whole premise is erasing the definition of "Spring blade knife" which includes gravity knives has become a racial issue.

Quote:
"Spring blade knife" means any knife, including a prototype,17model, or other sample, with a blade that is automatically released18by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having19a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust21S-0302.2SENATE BILL 5782State of Washington66th Legislature2019 Regular Session By Senators Zeiger, Fortunato, Takko, Padden, Palumbo, and Wilson, L.Read first time 01/31/19. Referred to Committee on Law & Justice.p. 1SB 5782
or movement. A knife that contains a spring, detent, or other1mechanism designed to create a bias toward closure of the blade and2that requires physical exertion applied to the blade by hand, wrist,3or arm to overcome the bias toward closure to assist in opening theknife is not a spring blade knife. A spring blade knife is not a5dangerous weapon under this section

The whole motivation from the liberals to get this through is that these laws particularly the "centrifugal thrust" opening mechanism aka "gravity knife." are allegedly used by police officers to charge and arrest people carrying legally purchased pocket knives that are loose enough to open with a hard swing of the wrist. These people that are charged and arrested are usually of racial minorities and disproportionately affected. That's why the left wing wants to get rid of it.

Vice (a liberal media outlet) has a video on this sort of thing and promoting that these laws should be removed due to racial bias outcomes.

Just one of those things depending on what the situation is, you can get anti-gun liberals onboard with deregulating weapons if you can make the case about the other stuff they care about.

Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:09 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

^ Great post and great video. Thank you.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next