Switch to full style
General Chit-Chat, comments etc
Post a reply

Cast from iPad to TV via Chromecast w/o internet

Fri May 24, 2019 4:43 pm

Calling high techy techy types.

I want to cast movies from my iPad to the motorhome TV.

I have a Chromecast device that plugs into HDMI, and the TV has HDMI.

I downloaded both Google Home and Chromecast on the iPad.

In setting on the iPad, I select Chromecast xxxx for wifi.

The TV pops up a verification code, which I also see on the iPad, so at this point it seems to be in synch.

I try to set up device, and it seems like I just go around and around. Example: One of the set up steps is to choose country. When I choose USA, it tries to process, and then asks me to choose country again.

Then, it fails saying it cannot locate the WiFi network.

At this point, I should not handle a loaded gun...dead tv and ipad...

Anybody know the tricks to make this work? Info on the internet is wide and contradictory.

Re: Cast from iPad to TV via Chromecast w/o internet

Fri May 24, 2019 6:03 pm

I fought this bullshit a while back. Fuck apple. Fuck google.

Fri May 24, 2019 6:04 pm

Thanks for the Friday night laugh

Fri May 24, 2019 6:08 pm

Nate wrote:Thanks for the Friday night laugh

A fire stick and a hotspot is my next attempt for my Rv. I can power a fire stick with 12 volts. Cheaper than a bottle of aspirin.

Fri May 24, 2019 6:10 pm

Not sure if this helps, but, looks like Chromecast Support needs to be built into the App you're using...

See 2nd item down in this link:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-connect ... es-1994480

Fri May 24, 2019 6:51 pm

Yeah, I downloaded Chromecast, and it's integral to the process...still fail.

Fri May 24, 2019 6:58 pm

Nate wrote:Yeah, I downloaded Chromecast, and it's integral to the process...still fail.

What App are you using?

Fri May 24, 2019 7:00 pm

Chromecast and Google Home

Fri May 24, 2019 7:04 pm

Let me add clarity...

I download videos on my iPad from Amazon prime.

I then want to stream said download to the tv.

Fri May 24, 2019 8:57 pm

I am no expert in this, but in the link I posted, the last sentence of the first paragraph is what I'm talking about:

"If you don't want to go the Apple TV route but still want to connect your iPad to your TV without a lot of wires, Google's Chromecast is an alternative solution. It has a relatively easy setup process that uses your iPad to configure the Chromecast and get it hooked into your Wi-Fi network, and once everything is set up and working, you can cast the iPad's screen to your television — so long as the app you are in supports Chromecast.

And that's the big limiting factor compared to Apple TV: Chromecast support needs to be built into the app compared to Apple TV's AirPlay, which works with almost every app for the iPad. 

So why use Chromecast? For one thing, streaming devices like Chromecast are much cheaper than Apple TV. It will also work with both Android and iOS devices, so if you have an Android smartphone along with your iPad, you can use Chromecast with both of them."

Sat May 25, 2019 6:02 am

I think I'm SOL with the iPad. I downloaded Google Chrome, and it does not have same embedded features on iPad as it does a PC (ie, cast, and missing a whole host of others).

I've beat my head against the wall long enough trying to make this work...I'll switch over to laptop.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Sat May 25, 2019 6:10 am

Can you use your phone as a WiFi hotspot?

Also, I would still recommend an AppleTV. You can download all of your shows directly to that and not have to worry about casting or using airplay.

Sat May 25, 2019 7:25 am

Nate wrote:One of the set up steps is to choose country. When I choose USA, it tries to process, and then asks me to choose country again.

Then, it fails saying it cannot locate the WiFi network.

I wonder if this is a one-time process. That if you did this in the presence of wifi at home, that you'd never have to do it again.
Post a reply