Switch to full style
General Chit-Chat, comments etc
Post a reply

Need help buying a Canadian sim card

Thu May 16, 2019 4:24 pm

I just spent the last two hours searching the web for a sim card to use in Canada. Only need three days.
Do not need data!
Only want talk & text.

Whenever I put what I want in the search field, it comes back and tells me what they are selling which is completely opposite from what I want.

I have an unlocked GSM phone.
I need a sim card that will work in Canada for talk & text, no data.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Need help buying a Canadian sim card

Thu May 16, 2019 4:28 pm

Who is your carrier? I know Verizon has a tempory Canada plan that makes it very cheap. I'm sure other carriers that do the same thing. Just wait about a week once you come back to the states to turn the plan off.

Thu May 16, 2019 4:31 pm

If you have Wi-Fi you can bypass all the BS and mobile call via Wi-Fi.

AT&T has a plan $5 per month - I think.

Thu May 16, 2019 4:32 pm

golddigger14s wrote:Who is your carrier? I know Verizon has a tempory Canada plan that makes it very cheap. I'm sure other carriers that do the same thing. Just wait about a week once you come back to the states to turn the plan off.

I use ATT towers but I go through Red Pocket as my MNVO or whatever it's called.

Thu May 16, 2019 5:42 pm

Grab a Rogers card as soon as you cross over.

Or... if you are staying close to the border use your phone. And then call and say you were in Bellingham.

Thu May 16, 2019 5:45 pm

Go to any gas station and get a chatr SIM card and get 1 month talk and text (use to be $35 when I lived there). Probably your cheapest option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu May 16, 2019 6:11 pm

I've never done it but as mentioned above buying a sim card once you are there is probably the easiest way to do it. When I went to France I had that option but didn't do it. It was kinda nice being on vacation without a phone. I could still connect to wifi then text or email

I'm heading up to Victoria for memorial day weekend. If you need me to grab one I can

Thu May 16, 2019 6:18 pm

Hmmm, I get unlimited talk, text, and LTE data in Mexico and Canada through T-mobile and my plan is only $60/mo for two lines (incl tax).
Figured all carriers offered it nowadays.

Thu May 16, 2019 6:24 pm

RocketScott wrote:I've never done it but as mentioned above buying a sim card once you are there is probably the easiest way to do it. When I went to France I had that option but didn't do it. It was kinda nice being on vacation without a phone. I could still connect to wifi then text or email

I'm heading up to Victoria for memorial day weekend. If you need me to grab one I can

Nice offer but we'll just pick one up when we get there. That way if I need any help setting it up, the store can help. Although a sim card is a sim card. :bonghit:

Fri May 17, 2019 5:08 pm

You shouldn't have to buy a SIM card at all if your current plan covers international calling.

Sam's headed to the University of British Columbia in the Fall and even though T-Mobile does not have a footprint in Canada, I can keep him on my plan (and he can keep using his phone) as long as he makes at least one call from the States in any given three month period. I thought I'd have to put him on a BC Tel plan, but nope. So you're fine--again, as long as your current plan covers international calling.

Fri May 17, 2019 5:37 pm

Rick....

Deli section.

Looks like this

Trim to fit.

PS...

You said any help

Fri May 17, 2019 6:23 pm

glockgirl wrote:You shouldn't have to buy a SIM card at all if your current plan covers international calling.

Sam's headed to the University of British Columbia in the Fall and even though T-Mobile does not have a footprint in Canada, I can keep him on my plan (and he can keep using his phone) as long as he makes at least one call from the States in any given three month period. I thought I'd have to put him on a BC Tel plan, but nope. So you're fine--again, as long as your current plan covers international calling.

My plan does not cover international calling.

Fri May 17, 2019 6:25 pm

WaJim wrote:Rick....

Deli section.

Looks like this

Trim to fit.

PS...

You said any help

I dunno... every piece I've ever had like that always turns to shit.
:peep:

Fri May 17, 2019 6:43 pm

Truphone. International.

Either way you need an unlocked phone.

Fri May 17, 2019 8:51 pm

Just wifi text,
Post a reply