Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:26 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Cataract surgery 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife just had cataract surgery and I'm next. She went with seeing far away and wearing reading glasses for close.So my question is how does this work for shooting?? If I can see close up for aiming then how do I see the target.....if I opt to see far away how do I aim?? Anyone here have this surgery that can enlighten me on how you choose which lens to get.

Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your brain can clearly focus your eyes on only one thing at a time. Of the elements that make up your sighting system, the *one* you want to focus on for accuracy is the front sight. Therefore, whatever the measurement in inches between your eye and your front sight is the one you want to optimize for, if given a choice. It's unlikely you can take your pistol with you to the dr, so tell them you want your focal point to be about 1-2 inches beyond your extended trigger finger at full arm extension per your habitual stance.
sighting system = eye, rear sights, front sights, target, your finger indexed along the frame.
In other words, when your eye is focused clearly on your front sight, both target and rear sights will be out of focus. If you shoot both eyes open, both target and rear sights will appear both "fuzzy" and "doubled".

Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had this operation on both eyes last year and I opted for the sea far and wear bifocals without any problem looking at my sights or the target.
Granted I'm not one that competes at long distance shooting so I just do what I have been doing in the past.
Before the surgery I was having problems with my red dot sight, instead of seeing one. There were four or five dots all together (like an ameba) and now it's managable but still not perfect.
Good luck.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safetyā€¯

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

codfather wrote:
My wife just had cataract surgery and I'm next. She went with seeing far away and wearing reading glasses for close.So my question is how does this work for shooting?? If I can see close up for aiming then how do I see the target.....if I opt to see far away how do I aim?? Anyone here have this surgery that can enlighten me on how you choose which lens to get.

Did you try to bring this up with your optometrist?

Last time I went in, the doctor noted my WaGuns sweatshirt and asked about shooting/sighting, and what I might want/need. He said he has a fair number of competition shooters and LE as patients. Even showed me the fake pistol that one of his patients made so they could work on sight picture at his exam. As I understand, the more serious competition shooters actually get a separate prescription, just for shooting... :thumbsup2:

Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

O_Kellogg wrote:
codfather wrote:

Did you try to bring this up with your optometrist?

Last time I went in, the doctor noted my WaGuns sweatshirt and asked about shooting/sighting, and what I might want/need. He said he has a fair number of competition shooters and LE as patients. Even showed me the fake pistol that one of his patients made so they could work on sight picture at his exam. As I understand, the more serious competition shooters actually get a separate prescription, just for shooting... :thumbsup2:

Do you go to the eye Doc in Yelm??

Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

codfather wrote:
Do you go to the eye Doc in Yelm??

No, Yelm Vision doesn't (didn't) take my VSP.
This guy is in Puyallup.

Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]